1,000,000 Wiis in Japan

Wiihead
Dec 5, 2006
Kingston, Ontario Canada.
Wii Online Code
8977-0087-6875-3601
Nintendo crosses the magic number in about a month.
by Anoop Gantayat

January 9, 2007 - The Wii has managed to cross the million mark in the Japanese market, Famitsu.com reports today. According to the online version of Japan's largest games magazine, which cited internal research, the system has sold 1,135,671 units as of 1/7/2007.

This feat, which comes just over a month following the 12/2 Japanese release, should comfortably make the Wii the number one selling next generation gaming system in Japan. Year-end numbers for the PS3 have yet to be provided by the publication.

Source

with the wii's price and the novel approach to gaming, this is not a surprise. however, i'm sure that numbers will not continue and the ps3 will inevitably own the gaming market yet again =)

I cannot disagree more. Nintendo was the ruler of the game world for many a year, and I am not suprised by them retaking their rightful place. After all, it's difficult to shut down a company that has been running for over 100 years!

The PS3 costs 500 bucks to make, so the price ain't goin' much lower. And the Wii costs 210 dollars to build, so Nintendo can't put the price any lower.

Therefore, Wii wins.

daonei said:
with the wii's price and the novel approach to gaming, this is not a surprise. however, i'm sure that numbers will not continue and the ps3 will inevitably own the gaming market yet again =)

Ok, I've seen numerous posts by you, and all have been ostensibly trying to make the PS3's current spot in the market look a lot better than it really is.

Will the PS3's sales continue to be steady? I'm sure they will. However, you can't sit there and say that a system that is currently being dominated by two other systems (one that's been out for a year) is going to "own the gaming market yet again"....that's beyond absurd, it's ludicrous.

You can have your opinion on how fun the Wii is or is not, but numbers don't lie, and though I'm sure there will most certainly be a decline in sales for the Wii, the numbers certainly don't suggest anything remotely evident of what you're speaking of.

The PS3 costs 500 bucks to make, so the price ain't goin' much lower. And the Wii costs 210 dollars to build, so Nintendo can't put the price any lower.

Therefore, Wii wins.

This statement isn't exactly correct either. Manufacturers lose money generally on every console made....they can lower the price to whatever they please. And in fact, Sony has hinted that it will, indeed, be lowering the price of the console at some point in the future, if not the near future considering sales trends.

daonei said:
you forget that no company has dominated the market for more than 2 generations.

daonei said:

wake up!

Japan is a huge gaming market, and Nintendo and Sony's home turf. This is why I wanted to share this article here, because Japan's entire society is very different to our own here in NA(the west). Growing up we frequently had Japanese exchange students come to live with us so I suppose I have a better idea of the differences in our cultures than most people, although I am by no means an expert. From what I know of Japanese culture the Wii will VERY LIKELY continue the current sales trend for a VERY long time. I cant explain it in a few words but in brief: It seems to me that the Japanese people have "bonded" with the Wii. ;)

Back