16:9 widescreen and Progressive scan (480P) question on some Wii games

Maldo

WiiChat Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello all,

I'd like to know if some of these following Wii games I might buy in the near future have 16:9 and progressive scan (480p):

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Toy Story 3

Need For Speed Undercover (would like to know if you could use the Gamecube controller on it)

Sonic Colors

Sonic Unleashed

Metroid: The other M

Donkey Kong Countury Returns

Toy Story 3

Epic Mickey

Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows (again, would like to know if the Gamecube controller could be used on that one too)

If some of these don't support progreessive scan (or the gamecube controller), that's OK... But if the're ALL ONLY in 4:3 (which equels HEAVY UNDERSCANNING!!) I'll pass on them... As It's real annoying to see on my "22 Sylvania HDTV like on most gamecube games and some Wii titles I played that were borrowed from a friend.

If you have any info or answers, itsa greatly appreaciated!!

Last edited:
Please help me!! I posted this on Nintendos techinal support fourms and there wasn't a resopnse there!! I hope I don't get the same here because it's a stupid topic or it's in the wrong section or soemthing BS like that...

I agree, widescreen tv's are the way of the future, it be silly on Nintendo part not to develop a game without 16:9

What I need to know is if those titles listed ARE in 16:9 widescreen. Some games are STILL 4:3 like star wars lightsaber duals, cooking mama, the subspace embassy cutscenes in super smash bros brawl, ans possibley a few others.

What I need to know is if those titles listed ARE in 16:9 widescreen. Some games are STILL 4:3 like star wars lightsaber duals, cooking mama, the subspace embassy cutscenes in super smash bros brawl, ans possibley a few others.

The video I have seen for all those games is in 16:9. I am guessing you have the games set to 4:3 or there is something wrong with your equipment.

I have the settings to 16:9 and most of the games appear in that format (16:9) such as Smash bros Brawl (cept for the cutscenes), New super mario bros wii, super mario galaxy, LOZ twilight princess, Geomortory wars (prolly wrong spelling), the Tron game for wii, and some other ones I don't remember right now.

Star Wars: Clone Wars-Lightsaber Battles is 4:3 pillarboxed, a Cooking Mama title (don't remember which one it was) had HEAVY black bars on the side; it was like watching a pillarboxed 1920s movie.

Order Up (I rented this game from our libarary and it was HORRIBLE!!! Do not waste yer money on this s#!t!!) gameplay wise was mostly 4:3 (heavy black bars), but surprisingly the FMV cutscenes were 16:9 litterboxed and filled the scren quite well.

Most of the Rayman Raveing Rabbits titles from what i've seen when I was at Best Buy (even the crappy party game) are 4:3

There's nothing wrong with my Wii or my tv; must be format releated issues with those games or they developed them for 4:3 telivisions for those who can't afford an WIDESCREEN HDTV.

My Sulvanina "22 HDTV dosen't have a "strech" feature like most other brand units do, jus standard, 16:9 (which it's set to and the 4:3 games have black bars on the sides), Movie (cuts of the top and bottom of picture, but dosen't do anything to the sides), zoom 1, zoom 2 (jus zooms in the image; again dosen't do anything to the sides), wide (same as 16:9 setting). The Olivia "32 HDTV thats in the living room has the same screen settings as my Sulvanina, so the same things happen there too.

Why does Nindendoh still do this!? Thought this would've been resolved after Gamecube but I guess not with some 3rd party brand games.

Speeking of Gamecube. Most of the titles I played ARE in 4:3 and those with a 16:9 setting or option just squishes the picture horizonitaly, but does not get rid of the black bars on the sides (this called a "Fake Widescreen").

However, there are two excepions I found that are in TRUE 16:9 widescreen... The Gamecube ports of the Legend of Zelda OOT and Majoras Mask on the LOZ collectors edtion disc (resolutions are around 800 x 620, like most wii games).

The main menus on the game slection screen,the LOZ WW demo & promo video, along with the two Nes LOZ games are 4:3... but have VERY Small black side bars.

Last edited:
Hello all once again.

As I probably mentioned allready, I have this format issue regarding super smash bros brawl.

I took pics to explain the issue (sorry if the're in poor quality ans infront of mah TV):

On my Wii widescreen settings menu, I have the format setting to 16:9 widescreen.

DSC01996.jpg

Next we're in the regluar gameplay of SSBB which appears in 16:9 normaly and fills the screen.

DSC01999.jpg

Now we're in one of the cutscenes from the Subspace Embassy mode which appears in 4:3 PILLARBOX (rest of the gameplay displays fine in 16:9)

DSC02001.jpg

If you can't see the black bars form there, here's a close-up pic of it. If you look carefully between the TV and the image, you'll see what i'm talking about:

DSC02000.jpg

As you can (hopefully) see it's somewhat moderate on my TV, but it's far worse and more annoying on the 32" Olivia we have in the living room!!!!!! :mad5:

I changed the settings to 4:3 other times, and they still appear the same.
I'm wondering if any of U guys have this issue while playing the Subspace mode. Could it be that it was an format error while processing the FMV, or it was made like that... Or could be that I have an older copy and newer ones (hopefully, but not likely) have this issue fixed and display in the correct 16:9 format.

Any info via replies would be appreciated!!

Back