wii 16:9 format issue on sony hdtv

mikey1870

WiiChat Member
Jan 2, 2008
I have a Sony HDTV (a 1080i one, not the newer 1080p ones). When I play DVDs or HD cable, the tv automatically picks up on the 1080i and 16:9 signal and changes the screen that way.

When I select 480p (i have component cables to the wii), and 16:9 format on the wii screen settings, the tv does not pick up on it. The screen changes from 480i to 480p, depending on what resolution I choose on the wii but it doesn't change from 4:3 to 16:9 when I choose the widescreen (16:9) format.

Any ideas? I saw the sentence that said some tv's dont distinguish, however I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue and would like also to rule out a defective wii system.

Try fiddling with your tv display settings, not the Wii's.

OR

Sue Sony for rendering your Nintendo Wii broken, because they hate Nintendo.

<<<<<...I'd do the 2nd one...

I tried to do that already, turned off teh 4:3 default, to no effect. They had no other help, though since they are the competition, I figured as much.

16:9 woes

They are component cables, I bought them, I think on Amazon and they were the ones that were wii certified or something like that. They had the wii logo on them.

I do get 480p via them though. When I play with the EHDTV and regular option on the wii, the tv will acknowledge either 480i or 480p.

Change your TV to 16:9 widescreen mode. I had the same problem with my Sony 1080i HDTV as well. I then searched online and found out the Wii does not display true 16:9, instead it displays a stretched 4:3 image thus why you're HDTV doesn't automatically chage to 16:9 mode... Hope that helps...

Back