not getting 16:9

wiiguy82

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
i have a sony vega 42" widscreen tv about 1 yr old, set the wii to 16:9, but still getting the 4:3 picture. Do i just hit the "wide button" on the TV remote?.....i figured there was a permanent way to change the settings for that specific video input on the tv...most of the time it is automatic (xbox 360) but not for the wii....let me know if you have a sony tv and how u worked it

You set the console to 16:9. The console will make everything "squishy" (stuff will appear tall and skinny) in 4:3 mode. Hit "Wide" and you'll have it!

The thing about Wii is that it outputs a 4:3 signal but it forms it so that when stretching it, wide fixes it.

Use "Full". Wide Zoom will crop edges, I think. I'm using a Panasonic set.

You want the mode which stretches everything uniformly, and puts a 4:3 image edge to edge.

Update: I looked it up.

Full Mode: This mode stretches the picture horizontally to fill the screen;

Wide Zoom: This mode enlarges the picture while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the screen.

You definitely want "Full".

Last edited:
i looked in my owners book and it said this:

wide zoom-select ot enlarge the 4:3 picture, to fill the 16:9 screen, keeping the original image as much as possible.

full-select to enlarge the 4:3 picture horizontally only, to fill the display area..

so i guess its personal preference?

The Wii will output the proper vertical height in 4:3 mode, so all you need is linear, horizontal stretching. "Full" will show you what Nintendo intends.

Wide-zoom seems like it will crop off the top and bottom.

How Wii's 16:9 mode works is that it crams more information into a 4:3 images, which you then stretch to get the proper aspect ratio. The "distorted" 4:3 image will have things appearing skinnier than they are. 16:9 stretching will bring them back to their normal ratio.

Are you running directly into the TV, or is it going thur a reciever?
What wires are you using, composite (the cable that came with it) or the upgraded HD cable?
Are you playing a new Wii game, or playing a Game Cube game? The disc may not be formatted correctly

You want the Wii set to 16:9, and the TV set to 16:9. The video format should be set to Full. Wide will make everyone look short and fat.

If you have an upgraded set of wires, you can run the system at 480p, which will give you a true 16:9 image, and it will look great. That is as long as your TV has a component video input.

fuseman13 said:
Are you running directly into the TV, or is it going thur a reciever?
What wires are you using, composite (the cable that came with it) or the upgraded HD cable?
Are you playing a new Wii game, or playing a Game Cube game? The disc may not be formatted correctly

You want the Wii set to 16:9, and the TV set to 16:9. The video format should be set to Full. Wide will make everyone look short and fat.

If you have an upgraded set of wires, you can run the system at 480p, which will give you a true 16:9 image, and it will look great. That is as long as your TV has a component video input.
That is if Nintendo ever re-releases the component cable *sigh* I think they seriously underestimated consumer demand for component support here in the states.

More people have ED, HD, and advanced SD sets than Nintendo thinks.

There are quite a few people with HD and ED sets. You may not know those people, but there are quite a few. I have a couple myself.

True sports fans are very big on HD.

i ordered the cables from nintendo...lets see when they get here. About setting the tv to 16:9...u can't do it....like people were saying before just hitting the "wide" button until u get to full to make the skinny 4:3 picture fill the screen horizontally

I really want my cables to hurry up and get to me!!! I have an open component spot just for Wii!

So the "Full" setting works for you with Wii set to 16:9 right?

(I also have an open component spot for 360).
(I also have one out of 2 HDMI ports open, for the PS3? Screw the PS3!!!)
:lol:

yah, cuz on the aspect ratio screen at the beginning of Zelda...all of the objects are squares.....instead of with wide zoom where two are the other one is skinnier. any idea when nintendo is shippping the cables?....im not too pleased with the picture on my 42" HD TV

I have no idea. I bought them already. I saw a date of the 28th on their site.

I have a 52" HDTV -- I think the picture is "meh" as well. I think it's good for 480i, but... 720p looks TONS better on it.

Time will tell the performance of 480p.

I have a 65" HD set. It's about 3 1/2 years old. I install Plasma's, surround sytstem, deicated theaters, inwall touchpanels, and do whole home control in multi million dollar homes for a living.

On my set, I have a standard setting for my 480i input. This is giving me a full 16:9 picture, without it looking distorted, short and fat, or wavy on the sides.

The picture is an interlaced image from the wii, so the quality of it has alot to do with the encoding on your TV. If you bought a cheap set, you get a cheap picture. More expensive TV's do a better job on lesser quality pictures. For instance, some Panasonic Plasmas will look better with just a straight from the wall cable jack feed, than one going thru a digital cable box. I am of course comparing SD images only.
For me, you all can keep your LCD's, DLP's, and Plasma. I am gonna keep my old school 9" CRT Gun, bigger than my dual refigerator, HD Mits. Diamond until they no longer make parts for it. I still haven't seen anything on the market better, in the same price range, without an expensive scaller.
When the new cables come out, things will be much better for all of us with sets that can take a 480p signal.

Back