not getting 16:9

Just searching around and see I have the same issue / question. I'm thinking wiiguy82 and I have the same TV. I have the component cables hooked up to my Wii. I set the Wii to wide screen and 480p. When I hit my TV's display button it shows the rez and aspect. I get the [480p - 4:3 mode]. The TV will adjust to the incoming signal on the fly so that's what the Wii is sending. I was hoping it would be true 16:9 but from what I'm seeing here I just need to set it to Full (or wide zoom) In switching from the 480i to the 480p it seems to me the 480i is sharper (with text anyway)

yah its "fake" 16:9.....the Sony TV has to be set to full ....all the Wii does is minimize the width of the picture (narrow effect in 4:3).....im not impressed with the comp. cables. the picture is sharper but more jagged. maybe if Wii had high def the pic would be better

i think limiting the resolution to 480 lines was a bit of a miss on Nintendo's part. Flat screen HD sets are really taking off and the Wii is lacking here. When you surf the web on the Wii even on a 42" screen it's tough to read small text because the resolution is so poor. I don't understand why they did this as the most basic of PC video cards can output 700 lines plus on component video cables. I'm talking about video cards circa 10 years ago that you could probably pick up for less than $5.

flemo123 said:
i think limiting the resolution to 480 lines was a bit of a miss on Nintendo's part. Flat screen HD sets are really taking off and the Wii is lacking here. When you surf the web on the Wii even on a 42" screen it's tough to read small text because the resolution is so poor. I don't understand why they did this as the most basic of PC video cards can output 700 lines plus on component video cables. I'm talking about video cards circa 10 years ago that you could probably pick up for less than $5.

720p is 1280*720, I seriously doubt you could find a video card capable of that kind of output from 1996. Especially on a budget of five dollars.

MaXiMiUS said:
720p is 1280*720, I seriously doubt you could find a video card capable of that kind of output from 1996. Especially on a budget of five dollars.

Well I didn't mean it would cost 5 dollars in 1996, it may have been considered quite good back then, but if you had to buy one with that as the max resolution today you could probably pick it up for $5 on Ebay.

In fact, 1987 saw the release of the 640x480 VGA standard for PC's so we are not talking bleeding edge here and this is pretty much the best the Wii can do for now, while the XSGA (1280 x 1024) standard came around 1994, although no television could display that PC output in those days.

I do suspect that there will be some kind of Wii add-on for increased resolution in the future.

Back