480p only? Or does the Wii change back and forth?

Well, been trying the past week to get a Wii and finally after a Toys R Us run yesterday to only see the last two being held by the people that got there ~5 minutes before me.... I give up.... for now anyway. (My hours start at 5am every day, making it just a tad hard to get one)

Flying across the country for a week on Sunday and figure by the time I get back I may be able to find one a little easier.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get one last word of wisdom Pridkett. How often have you found you need to switch to composite? Mostly talking about the VC games.

Pending your response Im going to order that transcoder or a line doubler tonight/asap to time the package to get here before I get back from my trip.

Thanks!

Taheen said:
How often have you found you need to switch to composite? Mostly talking about the VC games.

The only times I've needed to switch to composite are for games that do not support 480p. This is about 1/2 of the gamecube games (Super Smash Bros Melee in particular) and a very few Wii Games (I've heard Rayman Raving Rabbids, but I don't have this game). I only have a single VC game, and it's Bomberman 93. The game runs fine in 480p. Logically, as the VC games are emulated, it makes sense that they would run in 480p mode if available.

Awesome, thanks.

The GC games I'd like to replay that I own would probably be Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing. I havn't looked to see if any of them are 480p other than Windwaker, and Animal Crossing isn't a huge worry if it isn't since I can always wait for a Wii version.

I was more worried about the VC games, chance of a Wii game being non progressive that is something I can't live without untill i get a shiney tv is slim.

Just to update everybody, I recieved my package from Play-Asia with the $10 component cables and the YPbPr to VGA box.

Seeing as I can't find a Wii for the life of me (not going to give up though!) I can't comment on the cheap component cables but they look and feel pretty much like you'd expect any cable to. All the seperate connectors are about 6" in length from the main cable, so unless your audio is right next to your video you will need an extension.

As for the YPbPr box...

I did have my DVR box use it's HDMI/DVI output to my monitor before and the quality was very nice. I switched it over to component to the box and the quality looks to be at the very least the same if not better. I'll be able to say more after I get a Wii or after I find a HD channel that acutally shows an HD program, right now mid-afternoon there isn't much HD content on here.

So, for anybody thinking about a transcoder box like this, my initial reaction is it's pretty darn good. A better picture to my monitor imo than a dvi signal from the DVR.

Back