Another way to play the Wii on your monitor.

Taheen

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
North Dallas
Hey, figured I'd share with the group here.

I have tried two "ypbpr to rgbhv" mayflash boxes and was unsatisfied how the transcoders darkened the image and would flicker on and off horridly with 480p signals.

Since then those two transcoders have sat in their boxes while I play the Wii through a tv tuner pci card (horrid quality imo) with composite.

Well, for those out there still wanting to hook their Wii to their monitor for cheap and look good, I found a product that imo is better than the recommended previously mentioned transcoders. I picked up a KWorld TVBox1440 today out on a limb. It's one of those seperate tv tuner boxes that takes a coaxial input and a vga output to the monitor, I can't comment on how good the tuner on it is.... I use DVI from my DVR for cable tv.

Here's the skinny:
-Variety of output resolutions selected from an OSD (including 1440x900)
-Variety of image adjustments (brightness, etc)
-VGA out, also a VGA in from your computer but I don't use that.
-Svideo In
-Composite In
-YPbPr Component In

Here's the kicker... I didn't see it listed on the box or instructions anywhere but it will accept progressive scan signals. :)

I personally am very pleased, it does a very nice job of taking the Wii's 480p output and converting it to a 1440x900 vga signal.

It's $60 at Fry's, so at least you can probably buy it locally and return it if you don't like it.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Figured I'd share the info.

ok here I go:

i'm connecting my wii to a mac mini (the old one, power-pc) using an ElGato EyeTV Hybrid usb stick. The little thing is very expensive, around 150$ (which is more than what I paid for the Wii!) but as in your case it's also relatively easy to get and return to store.

I know that for a little more I could get a TV*but I really need the extra space. I use it to watch and record TV (both analog and DVB) and play with the wii. You can tune the quality of the analog to digital converter and to me it looks quite nice, I can watch it full screen without changing resolution (my monitor is also one of those Acer 1440x900). It offers you 3 levels: 352x288, 352x576 and 720x576. You will definitely use the higher quality because the other two are very crude. I can't really say more about the quality because I don't really have much to compare with.

When installed, the stick acts just like a TV. It comes bundled with a standard TV remote and if you press the power button the application pops up. I really like having the sound go through the stick and into the mac because it the old mac minis didn't have a line-in or mic-in.

Just contributing a little... somebody may find this useful.

Oh, not to mention that since it does 480p and 480i onto your lcd formatted nicely there's no worries about non 480p games not working on your monitor.

how can i get the best from my hdtv using wii,
what should i use because at the moment im just using scart,
for a hdtv what would be better?

Back