Wii to PC Monitor

idjut said:
Hello, sorry for the delay. I overlooked this thread.
Yes, I use component cables to the TV box.
If your monitor has a D-sub connector, then yes the TV box is necessary.

If the monitor has a digital connector or component cables input then you may want a different solution.

I'm pleased with the solution, but I am sure a monitor with native Digital Connection or Component inputs may have a noticeable improvement.

Thanks - and yeh my monitor has both D-sub and DVI (digitial i believe?) input.I still dont think a cable would work straight to the monitor because the wii outputs a resolution my monitor cant do ( i think)

ben213 said:
Thanks - and yeh my monitor has both D-sub and DVI (digitial i believe?) input.I still dont think a cable would work straight to the monitor because the wii outputs a resolution my monitor cant do ( i think)

Monitors always have a higher res than a CRT TV. If you have a DVI port, then your monitor is pretty modern. If it's widescreen then you have everything you need, but the TV box with DVI-out.

I picked up a DVD recorder for $99. It's got an RCA input and HDMI out. I'm using an HDMI to DVI-D cable and the picture comes out great. I haven't tried my Wii yet, but I'm using my gamecube and the picture seems a little better than my tv.

My Vaio laptop has an S-video input. I've just bought a converter cable from component to S-video and plugged that from the wii into my laptop.

I understand from other forums that the way to view the input is to use Windows Media Centre (OR IS THERE ANY WAY TO BYPASS THIS?). So I tried to setup Windows Media Centre to display the S-Video input as 'live TV'.

The options I chose:
1) I used 'cable' as the source
2) I select 'yes' to the question about whether I have a desktop box.
3) I choose S-Video as my input option. When I seelct that I can see the wii screen. So far so good....

....but when I click 'next' I get a message that says 'Windows cannot detect an IR receiver'. What is this 'IR' receiver?
Unfortunately I can't click 'next' and clicking 'cancel' deletes all changes...Not selecting 'desktop box' does not give me the option of selecting 's-video' as the input.

Any suggestions...?

Last edited:
I have no experience with Media Center, but I think I read there can be lag in the display. Lag may be dependent on how much power the PC or Video Adapter has.

Also, most laptops have IR (infrared serial ports). Go to the laptop's Bios or Windows Hardware List and disable it. I doubt you use it... it may be sensing IR from the Wii's sensor bar?

Last edited:
Back