512mb Memory?

lattes

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2007
I don't have a lot to complain about with my Wii, but this is one of them. Why on earth would you have 512mb of memory? I have a 4gb Micro SD card that is the size of my thumbnail. I mean, come on, 512mb is nothing.

Agreed, especially with the popularity of virtual console games. I've already heard about people filling up their Wii's memory.

And then what happens when Nintendo finally gets their heads out of their posteriors concerning online? Like downloadable Guitar Hero content? Where does it go? You think the 512 is filling up fast now, just you wait...

Doesn't help that the SD card slot is virtually useless in this regard. Another idiotic design decision by Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong: I love my Wii, but I'm no mindless fanboy... Nintendo has made some utterly-stupid intentional limitations with the unit and I'm perfectly willing to call them out on them.

sremick said:
Agreed, especially with the popularity of virtual console games. I've already heard about people filling up their Wii's memory.

And then what happens when Nintendo finally gets their heads out of their posteriors concerning online? Like downloadable Guitar Hero content? Where does it go? You think the 512 is filling up fast now, just you wait...

Doesn't help that the SD card slot is virtually useless in this regard. Another idiotic design decision by Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong: I love my Wii, but I'm no mindless fanboy... Nintendo has made some utterly-stupid intentional limitations with the unit and I'm perfectly willing to call them out on them.

100% agreed.

Heck, I have had my Wii a week now and half its memory is gone with VC downloads.

Maybe an external hard drive that WILL allow you to play VC content off it will be the answer....who knows.

I think they did this to keep the wii's price to a minimum.

If they increased the memory capacity won't u think they would have to increase the price in order to make profit?

If they do increase the price, then the wii's cheap pricing system will be utterly destroyed and those casual gamers will have less chance of buying the wii.

I agree too, but when you think about it the VC games are there for old time sakes. I don't see any reason for people to buy a shitload of games from VC unless they loved every single title. Then again I can see that happening.

phillepino said:
I think they did this to keep the wii's price to a minimum.

If they increased the memory capacity won't u think they would have to increase the price in order to make profit?

If they do increase the price, then the wii's cheap pricing system will be utterly destroyed and those casual gamers will have less chance of buying the wii.
Then all they needed to do was allow you to have your SD (or SDHC) card simply add to main memory and work seamlessly as a unified amount of memory. This would allow the end-user to buy whatever amount of extra memory they chose (or not buy any at all) while not increasing the system price. But Nintendo didn't do this mind-numbingly obvious thing.

Is there a mod out there that could let you attach an External Hard Drive to your Wii yet? The Wii has been out for ages, so possibly someone has made one.

Well right now (Had my Wii since last April) 512mb is looking like a good number.
I have played a lot of games, saved them and downloaded VC titles etc.

But surely by coming April my memory will be less and less, a hard drive is needed. Hopefully Nintendo has thought about that, and will release a hard drive of some sort.

RadNad said:
Is there a mod out there that could let you attach an External Hard Drive to your Wii yet? The Wii has been out for ages, so possibly someone has made one.

No, there is nothing like that yet.

Agreed.

I think the memory of the wii can and will be expanded. I've been thinking guys and lets remember, the wii is targeted at Casual an non players. I've been playing video games for over 20 years and my desire as well as other long time gamers has increased substantially.

It will take newbies years b4 there desire reaches the desire of long time gamers. Now on the otherhand, the wii is capable of expanding, but someone needs to tell Nintendo to get the malassis out there A%* and come on with it.

I still have a fair amount of memory left but i'm still waiting for some type of storage device be it harddrive, which is unlikely, but who knows; or allowing games to be play from a SD card.

Nintendo has finally made it back to the top, would some one tell them it wont last long if they don't start thinking about there customers! Especially the hardcore!

sremick said:
Then all they needed to do was allow you to have your SD (or SDHC) card simply add to main memory and work seamlessly as a unified amount of memory. This would allow the end-user to buy whatever amount of extra memory they chose (or not buy any at all) while not increasing the system price. But Nintendo didn't do this mind-numbingly obvious thing.

That is exactly what they should do! It would make perfect sense, why they haven't done this since the beginning is beyond me.

i agree why cant they just give u 1gb
my friend has a 4gb sd card he says it only lest him go to 2gb
ive heard from other sites that some mess up and only let u save up to 4gb

Back