512mb Memory?

The SD card idea is great BUT nintendo only use it to make backups, not for live data for real play (this is so stupid). Anyway I love my Wii

This just proves my point. It seems nintendo have made a cynical plan to make us pay through the nose for extra add-ons(i.e- a possible Hard drive?) as a sacrifice for a cheaper initial outlay compared to 360 and PS3

Proves my point. It seems Nintendo have had a long term and cynical vision to rip us off. They must have known that the memory wasn't big enough and it doesn't take a genius to see that they will have a Hard drive on the market soon . Just another way to make us pay

Well Nintendo has said there's no hard drive in the works for the Wii and they don't plan on making one, so I'm not sure how that will rip us off.

Only thing I can think of is a "Gen 2" Wii with more memory, and maybe some other token features (DVD support?). Might also explain the Wii shortage: keep the demand high, so there'll be guaranteed demand for a revamped version of it.

phillepino said:
I think they did this to keep the wii's price to a minimum.

If they increased the memory capacity won't u think they would have to increase the price in order to make profit?

If they do increase the price, then the wii's cheap pricing system will be utterly destroyed and those casual gamers will have less chance of buying the wii.

You can buy 512mb usb keys for $10 retail right now with a case and usb interface and all, I can only imagine the price for 10m units of 512mb flash memory hardware, instead of using 1x4gb use 10x 512 and make the thing weigh an extra 1/2 lb and 1 inch longer.

phillepino said:

If they increased the memory capacity won't u think they would have to increase the price in order to make profit?

If they do increase the price, then the wii's cheap pricing system will be utterly destroyed and those casual gamers will have less chance of buying the wii.

The Wii is the only system that the companies make money off of. Xbox 360's and PS3's are sold at a loss. The Wii cost about 160 dollars in terms of production cost (not including dev cost). They could have easily added on 2 gb flash memory that cost about 15 dollars.

i only have enough memory for a couple of saves and thats it. vc games take up most of them and i dont want to have to delete them and re-download later. that dumb. and i hope they do come out with some kind of hard drive. at least like 4 gigs.

hmmm

lattes said:
I don't have a lot to complain about with my Wii, but this is one of them. Why on earth would you have 512mb of memory? I have a 4gb Micro SD card that is the size of my thumbnail. I mean, come on, 512mb is nothing.

Well i dont know why your whinging.... compared to PS2 which has 0mb memory and needs memory cards, id say 512mb is pretty dam good.

phillepino said:

Right to a point, but you can buy a Toshiba 1GB Flash Drive for $AU9.95. The actual flash memory only costs $2-3 probably. Which means Nintendo are possibly paying manufacturers $1-1.50 for the main storage area on their system. They should have had at least 2GB.

bubs said:
Well i dont know why your whinging.... compared to PS2 which has 0mb memory and needs memory cards, id say 512mb is pretty dam good.
the ps2 is like 7 years old. how can you compare that to the wii?
i think the original xbox had more memory but that came after the ps2

bubs said:
The PS2 didn't have Virtual Console games that you were encouraged to download, or "channels", or any downloadable Guitar Hero content.

the original xbox had like 4 gig of hd space. it was on an actual hd though. nintendo's is not. it's not as simple as adding some weight and space for the size of a jump drive. it's more involved than that.

the original xbox was huge and really heavy. they still make games for the ps2, and they still sell them.

GThwait,
why would anybody sell an item that costs them $? you know that microsoft and sony are making $. it's not proffitable to make consoles and taking a loss...

Back