About these 480p Component Cables...

hey

@ABC: Actually... I'm not sure if it really would support 480p. I came across a simular television, with the same sorta question in another thread, started by Andrakis_Scarr. Anyhows, I also downloaded the manual specific for this television, and alike the one in the other thead, it has instructions for using Component for hooking up a VCR? also shows using Composite for VCR, S-Video for DVD Player, and Composite for Camcorder. It also has instructions for changing the Color mode, from/to PAL4.43, NTSC3.58 and NTSC4.43. Finally, alike the other television... in the Video System specifications, it has "Video System PAL4.43 NTSC3.58 NTSC4.43 (50/60Hz)". So I dunno...

@Andrakis_Scarr: Hopefully you will get a responce from your email :).

Wilko21 said:
Will there be a VGA cord avalible for the Wii so i can use my monitor to play?
@Wilko21: I don't think there are going to be any official VGA cables, but maybe 3rd parties will make some. Also, I have found some tutorials/guides for modifying a XBox D-Terminal cable into a VGA (hd-15) cable, and also a GameCube Component cable into a VGA (hd-15) cable, but I'm not sure if the theory from these tutorials could be applied to modifying either the Nintendo Wii D-Terminal or Component cables into a VGA cable :\.

BTW, sorry to continue with the highjacking of this thread or whatever.

Wiily Good said:
Will any type of component cable do or does it have to be a specific Wii Component cable.
@Wiily Good: I'm quite sure you can only use Component cables specific to the Nintendo Wii.

cyas

Last edited:
Yeah, ABC - wiki is where I learned all this stuff - if you'd asked me about all this stuff a couple weeks ago, I'd have been lost.

Wiily Good said:
Will any type of component cable do or does it have to be a specific Wii Component cable.

In other words, does the wii have a special socket in it that only certain cables will fit into.
On the TV end, all component cables are alike. On the Wii end, however, yes, you will need a cable made for the Wii. It's like most consoles, where you have to use the cables made for that console.

Inspire said:
scart? That must be a UK thing - I've never heard of it.

Here is some information about Scart

SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought myself that everyone used Scart, but after reading the end of the 3rd paragraph, I understand why you haven't heard of it. Im curious as to what you use in the US then, you got a link with an image and info?

Not all cables come with a Scart connector head, i.e. my PS2 and GC had their 3 wires sperated, into the Yellow, White and Red standard of connection, but if you prefer to insert them as one you can plug those 3 wires into one end of a Scart head then plug that into the back of your TV.

Andrakis_Scarr said:
I own the same brand TV. I thought after hearing all this talk I would just email the company and ask them. Will post the results if I get an email back.

After sending countless emails to company and even going into the stores and geting no answers (or different ones!!!???) I gave up and rang the head office. Answer is NO Celestial brand T.V's do not support progressive images. They do include the cable inputs at the back but the company said they wont make any difference to the picture quality displayed. (shrug).

so you do not NEED component cables to work the Wii?? Nothing really essentially required to purchase other then the core system itself?? It should be a right out of the box set-up??

ABC said:
If your television doesn't support 480p, you won't even have component (Red green and blue) connections. So obviously, no. Anything is better quality than the standard AV cables... for goodness sakes, the SNES used this technology... you would have thought Nintendo would have moved on. The bottom line is... if your TV supports 16:9 HIGH DEFINITION then buy the component cables... if it is a standard definition square television then you wouldn't even be able to buy the component cables... well you could, but you wouldn't be able to use them.

Were you dropped on your head when you were a kid? Many non-480p capable TVs have component inputs as even early DVD players had component outputs for 480i. Look at any decent 32" CRT sold from 2000 onwards. They will have component inputs even though they are not capable of 480p. Don't post like you are an authority when you don't know what you are talking about.

Here take a look at this cheap POS it has component inputs and there is no way in hell it can display 480p:

Insignia™ - 20" Stereo TV with Component Video Input - IS-TV040919

Some more:

Insignia™ - 24" Stereo TV with Component Video Input - IS-TV040922

RCA - 32" Standard-Definition Digital TV - 32V524T

So read up and learn before misleading everyone here.

ABC said:
Uhm... what are you saying? :lol: 4:3 and 480p have nothing to do with each other. A TV can have a ratio of 16:9 and still be 480i. Those are two completely different specs that do not correspond in the slightest. As for messing up his TV? What the hell? The TV has a component IN meaning it is 480p capable.

Well let me explain, from one stupid person to another.
The Wii games are made for 16:9 widescreen even tough 480p is actually a 4:3 format the picture displayed as stretched on a 16:9 set will actually be shown in the right proportions. And if you have it on a 4:9 tube without using some zoom out mode and black bars the proportions will be wrong.

Now when you switch to component out on the Wii my guess is that it automatically spits out 480p witch a normal tube with comp. inputs will not understand and will probably end up with a really messed up picture.

I'd suggest you stop calling people stupid and then in the same post prove that you're the stupid one.

phiggey said:
So just know this:

Having component cables will increase the quality of your picture. If you dont support 480p then it probably wont be noticable - even if you do support 480p you probably wont really be able to tell all that much. Component is great but it has its limits - thats why all the super high end tv's are using HDMI now adays. What ever TV you have, component will offer better quality than compiste. Component is your best bet for maintaining signal quality, but i dont see composite being much of a problem, and its cheaper. Now for xbox and PS3 thats different, but for Wii, it doesnt matter that much because 480 offers a fairly low resolution.

A TV''s image is only as good as the signal that goes into it - that means the signal from the source - and losses in the cables. Component will suffer little losses in image quality. Composite will obviously suffer more - but the difference probably wont be all that clear.

I would say the best thing to do would be to use the Wii with the cables it comes with. If you hear reviews a few weeks from now about how wonderful the component cables are and how the image is enhanced then you can make a better decision. So if it is better then you have to wait, but if the difference isnt that great then you didnt waste your money.

Also note, that component is like laser disc, its an in between technology that was quickly outdated. While it maintains higher quality signals than composite, it fails to meet the demands of say HDDVD or BluRay and 1080p televisions which require DVI or HDMI.

I totally disagree with the statements above. HDMI and DVI both suck right now. In the future there will get better but right now, not a chance. DVI doesn't even support 1080p. HDMI does, but the reality is these digital cables are specifically designed for digital TV's and digital processing devices, i.e. DVD players.
I use component to distibute Video all over homes in LA. Try that with HDMI. Yeah right, 25meter, that's it. If you use more than one device with HDMI good luck getting them both to work. DVI is more of an "inbetween technology" as the connector is just too big for us guys who install custom TV's to run in a wall or conduit. I've been doing Home audio and video installs for 10 years now. We demand things that work. HDMI and DVI don't, right now. Hell I have seen IEEE or Firewire coming back as the NEXT NEW THING.
Wait a few more years, and HDMI or DVI will be gone again, but component video will still be here. It works, it's analog, and the industry loves it.
I am buying a set of Component cables as soon as I can. Double the resolution means double the fun.
For all you that support HDMI and DVI, as you can see, I said "as of right now" There have been a tremendous amount of improvement over the last year and a half, but until the industry standards are defined and standardized, I would not invest in any "New Technology" to provide all my content. You will be sorry if you do, I promise.

Back