Advanced Brawl Tactics + Moves

spiff-ssbb

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2008
Wii Online Code
8140-2366-3149-0356
i've been hearing alot of rumors about the new techniques that will arise in brawl... i've heard about this wall clinging and ink dropping and such but i dont fully understand what these things are and if they are confirmed as to being in the game. so if anyone would like to put any imput into this for or against that would be great. also if anyone knows of anything else thats new feel free to tell me about it.

Well if you remember from melee, sheik and young link could sorta jump off the sides of walls. Now the wall cling is similar except you can stay on the wall for a short time. As far as I know the only chars that can do this now are sheik, squirtle, and diddy.

Zori said:
Well if you remember from melee, sheik and young link could sorta jump off the sides of walls. Now the wall cling is similar except you can stay on the wall for a short time. As far as I know the only chars that can do this now are sheik, squirtle, and diddy.
ya i understood that one i just didnt see how it was useful. in melee you could do a wall jump with YL sheik Captain falcon, fox i think, mario and a few others i think.,.. i just dont see how this is any different

Good to see someone else has done their homework.

A wall cling is simply the fact that now, in Brawl, when you run off the edge of a stage, you automatically grab the edge. In melee, you would just fall, forcing us to have to SH or SHFFL to Edge Hog, but that is no more. Now, to edge hog, all we'll have to do is run off the side. On the other side of things, if you want to jump off the side to intercept someone, you will HAVE to jump, because you cannot just run off anymore.

Ink Dropping is more complicated. In melee, when you failed to do a DD, your character would kind of 'skid out' and take a while to turn around. This was meant as punishment for not dashing correctly. In Brawl, Sakurai has taken that one step further. Instead of just taking longer to turn around, your character actually falls down, as if they slipped on a banana peel or something. This causes no harm to the hardcore, that is, unless we find there is a way to CANCEL an ink drop. I don't fully understand why a cancelled ink drop would play such a large role, but they seem to be making a big deal out of it over at Smash World Forums. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

LevesqueIsKing said:
Good to see someone else has done their homework.

A wall cling is simply the fact that now, in Brawl, when you run off the edge of a stage, you automatically grab the edge. In melee, you would just fall, forcing us to have to SH or SHFFL to Edge Hog, but that is no more. Now, to edge hog, all we'll have to do is run off the side. On the other side of things, if you want to jump off the side to intercept someone, you will HAVE to jump, because you cannot just run off anymore.

Ink Dropping is more complicated. In melee, when you failed to do a DD, your character would kind of 'skid out' and take a while to turn around. This was meant as punishment for not dashing correctly. In Brawl, Sakurai has taken that one step further. Instead of just taking longer to turn around, your character actually falls down, as if they slipped on a banana peel or something. This causes no harm to the hardcore, that is, unless we find there is a way to CANCEL an ink drop. I don't fully understand why a cancelled ink drop would play such a large role, but they seem to be making a big deal out of it over at Smash World Forums. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

ahahah i thought wall clinging was just holding onto a wall, without falling.....

edit, wait that's what brawlcentral says

We've explained to a general degree, Lucas' and Olimar's Smash attacks, but now we also have some "statistics" for some players, inlcuding the mention of a new technique called "Wall Cling". This is different from wall hopping, as it's believed that the player sticks to the wall for a few seconds in preparation for a controlled wall jump.

I know that that's in brawl LIK, but i don't think what you're describing is wall clinging, that's just something else......

Last edited:
Oh, I'm intrigued. I haven't really heard of any new Brawl techniques except for Wall Clinging. Never read about the 1st thing Leve described, or the updated Ink Drop...

You are correct, Mushroomed. The two things I've mentioned were from E4A, and I haven't heard of any other techniques until now. I had simply assumed that Wall Cling was the name given to the technique I described.

Although, I'm not quite sure I fully understand the wall cling. Does this mean that edge hopping is gone? Edge hopping is huge for Falcon :(

I doubt it. Why would they take away a technique that they put in there purposefully? They haven't done it yet, have they?

I wouldn't say they put it into Melee purposefully. Just like most advanced techniques, it was created by the users.

Ah, I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about WALL hopping. That was obviously put in there by HAL since you had to use it to get through YL's Target Training...but, now that I know what you're talking about, why would they take it out? Edge hopping is just an absolute essential. Only second to "A = standard attack".

^haha, I couldn't agree with you more, there. I would never think of getting rid of it.

But then again, he DID get rid of SHFFLing... :wink:

LevesqueIsKing said:
^haha, I couldn't agree with you more, there. I would never think of getting rid of it.

are you sure ? (lol)

i thought you just couldn't SHIFFL with the wiimote side-ways, which is how everyone has been doing it

and i don't see how wall clinging would mean that edge hopping is out, it's something different

it's like megaman, or spiderman, they just simply cling on to a wall, not neccesarily the edge of a stage,

LevesqueIsKing said:

SHFFL'ing is much more of a player created technique then edge hopping, though. How long do you think it took for someone to go Back>Up>Up. :| SHFFL'ing is much more advanced.

Wait, so you just jump up against a wall and you stick there? You mean like Super Spider Bros. Brawl style?

And yeah, I understand that, Tyler.

Back