Another TV & Cable Question

Andrakis_Scarr

WiiChat Member
Oct 31, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Wii Online Code
7223-7031-2631-4774
After reading all this info about image quality and component cables and such, I had a look at the back of my tv to see what it takes. What I found is that it has inputs for normal AV, S-Video and Component cables.

My question is, does it matter what I use. Its a normal non-flashy TV (Link to TV specs: Welcome to Celestial)

Will I get better image quality if I use the component cable input or should I just use normal AV / S-Video input?

I have to disagree with you on this one, even on a normal tube you will see a difference between the component,composite and s-video.
Composite beeing total crap I'd suggest getting a better cable and If your set does have component inputs get the cable!
I'm not sure if you would see a difference between S-video and component but using composite is definetly the worst of them all.

Anyone suggest where I could go to find out more about this?

Or any other opinions? I must admit, I am lost on this subject.

OK - will try to keep this simple:

Best Quality
Component - the video signal is split into three signals, two color and one black and white, giving you the best picture. Use component video to take advantage of the superior picture found in such signal sources such as HDTV and progressive DVD.

Component connection is three plugs - red blue and green.
component-02.gif

Better Quality

S-Video - The video signal is split into two signals, giving you an even better quality picture. For example, text displayed on-screen using this connection is noticeably sharper than composite or coaxial (RF).

S-Video connection looks like this:
s-video-02.gif

Good Quality
Composite ("yellow plug") - The video signal is carried through a single "pin". This connection type is the one that is most commonly found on video devices
composite-03.gif

Basic
Coaxial (RF) - The video and audio signals are both carried in one cable. Used for antenna and cable signals.
(The other three connection types only handle video, requiring separate connections for sound.)
Coaxial.gif

In short - if your screen has component inputs, regardless of whether it's an HDTV or not - buy the component Wii cable and use it. YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

If you don't have component inputs on your screen but do have an S-Video input, buy the S-Video Wii cable and use it.

If you can afford to buy the correct cables, always connect your screen to your input device using it's best inputs.

Samster said:
OK - will try to keep this simple:

Best Quality
Component - the video signal is split into three signals, two color and one black and white, giving you the best picture. Use component video to take advantage of the superior picture found in such signal sources such as HDTV and progressive DVD.

Component connection is three plugs - red blue and green.
component-02.gif

Better Quality

S-Video - The video signal is split into two signals, giving you an even better quality picture. For example, text displayed on-screen using this connection is noticeably sharper than composite or coaxial (RF).

S-Video connection looks like this:
s-video-02.gif

Good Quality
Composite ("yellow plug") - The video signal is carried through a single "pin". This connection type is the one that is most commonly found on video devices
composite-03.gif

Basic
Coaxial (RF) - The video and audio signals are both carried in one cable. Used for antenna and cable signals.
(The other three connection types only handle video, requiring separate connections for sound.)
Coaxial.gif

In short - if your screen has component inputs, regardless of whether it's an HDTV or not - buy the component Wii cable and use it. YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

If you don't have component inputs on your screen but do have an S-Video input, buy the S-Video Wii cable and use it.

If you can afford to buy the correct cables, always connect your screen to your input device using it's best inputs.

Nicely put!

hey

Hmm, it doesn't say in your television specs what resolutions it supports? maybe it supports 480p? if so, you should get a much better picture/display.

Anyhows, I might do some googling and try and find out.

cyas

hey

Hmm, well I done some googling, and downloaded the manual. The only thing I found was in the manual... "Video system: PAL4.43, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 (50/60Hz)".

Well I'm guessing it don't support 480p, but I don't really know :\.

Edit, I just came across a nice post by Inspire, which I think answers your question :).

Inspire said:
You get an extra boost just using these cables - even if you don't use progressive scan. Video signals are composed of three individual signals - Red, Green, and Blue. Your standard Composite cables compress all three of these signals and trasmit them over a single cable. This is a ludicrous idea - that your sound is actually given more bandwith than your video signal (Sound - red and White / Video - Yellow).

S-Video cables work better, but I won't go into an explanation here.

Component video cables work best (as far as analog signals are concerned) and allow for the video signal to be sent as its separate individual components - Red, Green, and Blue. This helps big time with distortion and color bleeding and sharpness.

Progressive scan ices the cake off real nice by displaying a full image in each frame, rather than playing magic tricks and letting your brain compile the interlaced image.

So, what I'm getting at is that 480i (interlaced) and 480p (progressive) most put out the same amount of pixels per second, progressive scan just does it in a better way.

cyas

Last edited:
Thanks, this helped me out alot. I still have a CRT tv with component input (its kinda new ish) I think I will pick up a set of component cables and see if it looks nicer. I am hopefull it will.

Back