Another TV & Cable Question

Question. I just got my Wii component cable today, hooked it up, worked great. Something I notice though...although all of the images look much clearer, sharper, and full of color, I see small little lines. What I mean is, for example, as I move around in Zelda, on Link and the environment these little tiny lines move, almost as if the image is still being "interlaced", and not showing the whole image every frame. It's weird. My TV supports up to 780p, so there shouldn't be a problem. Do TV settings need to be switched into Pogressive Scan somehow? 'Cause I thought they did that on their own. Just wondering...:wtf:

Samster said:
OK - will try to keep this simple:

Best Quality
Component - the video signal is split into three signals, two color and one black and white, giving you the best picture. Use component video to take advantage of the superior picture found in such signal sources such as HDTV and progressive DVD.

Component connection is three plugs - red blue and green.
component-02.gif

Better Quality

S-Video - The video signal is split into two signals, giving you an even better quality picture. For example, text displayed on-screen using this connection is noticeably sharper than composite or coaxial (RF).

S-Video connection looks like this:
s-video-02.gif

Good Quality
Composite ("yellow plug") - The video signal is carried through a single "pin". This connection type is the one that is most commonly found on video devices
composite-03.gif

Basic
Coaxial (RF) - The video and audio signals are both carried in one cable. Used for antenna and cable signals.
(The other three connection types only handle video, requiring separate connections for sound.)
Coaxial.gif

In short - if your screen has component inputs, regardless of whether it's an HDTV or not - buy the component Wii cable and use it. YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

If you don't have component inputs on your screen but do have an S-Video input, buy the S-Video Wii cable and use it.

If you can afford to buy the correct cables, always connect your screen to your input device using it's best inputs.

i think thats in america, because the cables i recieved with my wii are the yellow, white and red one.

epikon said:
i think thats in america, because the cables i recieved with my wii are the yellow, white and red one.
what you're talking about are the composite cables that come with the wii, which everyone has. the yellow cable is all of the video signals, while audio is divided into two cables, red and white. samster's post does include composite cables in it.

phatboix91 said:
what you're talking about are the composite cables that come with the wii, which everyone has. the yellow cable is all of the video signals, while audio is divided into two cables, red and white. samster's post does include composite cables in it.

yellow is Composite Video also known as RCA (type of connector) and Baseband Video
White is Left channel analog Audio
Red is Right channel analog Audio

Component uses RCA connectors to divide your Video into Three cables these are commonly labled Y (green), Pb (blue), Pr (red) PLUS two more cables like Composite for the audio White and Red see above

If your TV contains Component Video Jacks it is likely a Progressive Scan TV and is capably of much improved Image Quality

contrary to popular belief that S-Video is much better than Composite (Yellow) it has been proved that most people cannot see the difference in quality between the two.

It is also slightly possible you may not see the difference between the supplied composite cables and the component cables. ( my mother in Law cannot tell the difference between SDTV and HDTV but my wife and I can for example.

the differences may be subtle or major and can be compared to look something like this

I always recommend buying the cable making sure you can return them in case of issues.

take 'em home and try it out (don't forget to set your Wii to 480p)

if you are not able to justify the cost with the slight increase (or large increase) in image quality then return them (again dont for get to set your Wii back to 480i before disconnecting it)

Hi,

This thread has been very helpful, but I wonder if someone could assist me further...

I have the standard Composite cable that comes with the Wii in the UK, and an adaptor thing that let's you use the composite cable with a TV scart input.

Is it possible to get a cable that would connect the Wii to the TV using scart, but using the component signals rather than a composite signal ??

Or does that not make sense at all ?? Please forgive my ignorance.

If a "real" Wii -> Scart cable exists, where would I be able to get one from in the UK ??

Back