Any iPod techs out there?

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 3rd Gen Ipod. I've refused to upgrade to a 5th gen cause my old one was working perfectly. And after 4 and a half long years of functioning perfectly, no re sets, no re-boots, no re-formatting. It finally just died.

It froze up, so I restarted it (hold menu and play) and when it booted back up there were no songs. Tried re-formatting it through iTunes and it gave me an error. Tried booting in diagnostics mode ( hold prev, next and select). Ran the HDD scan and I got this.

"HDD SCAN

START
QUIT TEST

HDD FAIL"

I then tried the "reset" option in the diagnostics menu and I was given another error. Is it a lost cause?

P.S. If you can help me, please do. But this is NOT an invitation to smash Apple products, as I know some of you are prone to.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I know. But we've had some times man. Me and Roxanne, as I named her. We've been through so much.........It's just so hard to let go:(

No but seriously. I'm waiting for the 6th gen rumors to be confirmed. I don't want to drop the cash for a 5th gen if it's going to be outdated by the summer.

Seeing as it's the 5th gen already, even if you wait, it still will be outdated later...

Just buy a new one, or just buy a new HD and Stick it in there. I would void your warranty, but I assume it's over anyway. Unless you think Rozanne lives in the HD....

tank said:
Yeah I know. But we've had some times man. Me and Roxanne, as I named her. We've been through so much.........It's just so hard to let go:(

No but seriously. I'm waiting for the 6th gen rumors to be confirmed. I don't want to drop the cash for a 5th gen if it's going to be outdated by the summer.

lol

hope roxanne gets better soon

Yeah I was thinking of looking for what HD they recommend on one of those sites and then looking for it on NewEgg.com. Usually cheaper on NewEgg.

After 4 and a half years of carrying an HDD around in your pocket, yes, it's probably dead. I'd advise you just go ahead and get a new iPod if you have the money. If not, just save, I'm sure Apple's got a 6th Gen coming out soon anyway.

I suggest you buy a video. Considering you have the old big ones Im thinking you don't care about the size. So might as well get a video, i my self have a nano cuz I like to stick it in the mini jean pocket so its unoticed.

-Whats up with the ipod updates every 2 to 3 weeks. What dose it do? firmware? or upgrade space?

Gymdawg said:
After 4 and a half years of carrying an HDD around in your pocket, yes, it's probably dead. I'd advise you just go ahead and get a new iPod if you have the money. If not, just save, I'm sure Apple's got a 6th Gen coming out soon anyway.

iphone?

Wiitendo said:
I suggest you buy a video. Considering you have the old big ones Im thinking you don't care about the size. So might as well get a video, i my self have a nano cuz I like to stick it in the mini jean pocket so its unoticed.

-Whats up with the ipod updates every 2 to 3 weeks. What dose it do? firmware? or upgrade space?

The 3rd Gens arne't that much bigger than the new ones, actually. The new ones are a little thinner, but the surface isn't that much different.

Just firmware updates.

tank said:
The 3rd Gens arne't that much bigger than the new ones, actually. The new ones are a little thinner, but the surface isn't that much different.

Just firmware updates.

I know, but why stick to a big old broken down ipod. When you could get a video with any movie/clip to watch. Color brighter screen, cooler looking, pictures, and way more space. Then again iphone is comming out soon, but its just as much as the PS3. Personally i think its crap.

haha yeah. I can't get the iPhone anyway when it comes out. I have to wait another year until it becomes available on all service providers.

Before the iPhone stuff started there were rumors of a 6th gen iPod to be released soon. It was going to be a little bigger than the 5th, surface area wise, but full screen. The whole surface of the iPod was going to be the screen. But I haven't heard anything of it since the iPhone hype started.

tank said:
haha yeah. I can't get the iPhone anyway when it comes out. I have to wait another year until it becomes available on all service providers.

Before the iPhone stuff started there were rumors of a 6th gen iPod to be released soon. It was going to be a little bigger than the 5th, surface area wise, but full screen. The whole surface of the iPod was going to be the screen. But I haven't heard anything of it since the iPhone hype started.
Well I think that device is actually the iPhone. When Steve was showing the presentation he said that there was a few new things they had to unveil: a widescreen iPod, a revolutionary internet device, and a phone. It was all the iPhone.

Back