Any suggestions on how not to be shot in the back?

mattyj

WiiChat Member
Aug 2, 2011
Minnesota
I've just started playing MW3 and about 90% of the time I die it's from getting shot in the back. Besides the obvious reasons (not knowing maps and needing practice) does anybody have suggestions to help a noob stop getting violated from behind?

I've just started playing MW3 and about 90% of the time I die it's from getting shot in the back. Besides the obvious reasons (not knowing maps and needing practice) does anybody have suggestions to help a noob stop getting violated from behind?

Be thankful it's not in the knee.

Don't camp; not that I'm implying you are, but yeah. Stay in one spot for too long and you're guaranteed to get flanked eventually.

Stick and move if you're not sniping. If you're running down a hall in a straight line, you're gonna get pumped full'a lead if someone shows up behind you by chance.

Kill someone, move the **** out if you're a run 'n gun type of dude. Once you're on the radar, you need to move to make sure you ain't caught in someone's crosshairs in every direction at once. When running 'n gunning, it certainly is important to know the map well and to make sure you're not herpaderping into high-traffic points. If you aren't into running around shooting like a mad man, once you do kill someone, find good cover and wait for an idiot or two to stumble into your line of sight, and surprise 'em with a magazine's worth of bullets in THEIR back. Knowing what cover is good and what cover is better means you need to know the map good for this tactic too, of course.

Speaking of which, try not to zone out and let your reactions do the work if you want to learn how to play maps quickly. Learn the high-traffic areas in the map by paying attention to your radar. If you're getting shot from behind 80% of the time in that one area of a map, that might be a place you shouldn't adventure lol.

Just some general tips I believe work for most, if not all shooters. Take this non-CoD player's advice with a jar of salt. :p

Be thankful it's not in the knee.

You must die.

Last edited:
Just watch you're ass at all times so you won't get shot from the back. Once you learn the maps and become a try hard you'll be fine bro!
Good Luck with that and GAME ON!! ;D

Yes yes learning the maps is half the battle as you can be sure those lvl 10 prestigers know the maps better than you know your own mom o_O

What I usually do when playing is CONSTANTLY check my back. Since I am a run n gunner so to speak, I am always looking for my next target. But like it was said above, sometimes by chance an enemy is able to flank you from behind and catch you off guard. CONSTANT VIGILANCE is key to success lol. Even learning how to turn around and drop shot quickly can save your life and give you time to blow the enemy away before they can get their cross-hairs on you again.

Even learning how to turn around and drop shot quickly can save your life and give you time to blow the enemy away before they can get their cross-hairs on you again.

This.

In Red Dead, R3 turns your camera 180 degrees. Roll to kill someone's auto aim on ya, R3, and shoot their head off before they can lock on again. That quarter of a second more it takes to turn your camera all the way around is generally the difference between a bullet in you, and a bullet in them. I learned this the hard way when I was a scrub lol.

"oh this guy doesnt know im behind him ill kill em TROLOLOLOL"

And then I was quick turned-shot in the head...

In games where you don't have a quick fix to changing your view's position, mastering higher sensitivity settings are a must.

I suggest you practice obviously. but in any unfamiliar FPS you learn the maps.
A great way to learn maps is travel on the edges don't go looking for the fights at first since you're unaware of the obstacles you're more likely to be killed first. Learn where the fights tend to break out every map will have hot spots. Avoid walking into these spots until you're more comfortable playing instead travel around to flank them from behind 90% of the time if you don't fire you'll go unnoticed. And if you're playing TDM work with your team travel with the leaders (people doing well)
Pay attention to the mini map anyone attacking who attacks/shoots will show up (use this to your advantage) and Listen for enemy radar/copter/airstrike. btw it is good to camp certain area's of each map you will find certain spots where you can go on 10+ kill streaks unnoticed but remember you will appear on radar so you'll have to leave and come back or use claymores/c4

Think NINJA :papermario:

Last edited:
What I mean by camping isn't what you're thinking standing in one spot waiting is asking to be knifed. Camping an area is different because you're not in one spot all the time you're just in a a certain region and a smart camper isn't going to camp behind enemy lines they're going to camp behind their area of control and pick off the flankers and constantly move within their region of control so they go unnoticed. or even camp your team mates allow the noobs spraying the front lines to be your shield/distraction for you to pick off enemy as they're being targeted. Seriously it sounds stupid but it works and I win majority of my games and stay on top of the lobby boards doing this. My longest streak is 30 and the game was full of 50+'s.

And there are certain areas of each map you can easily camp one spot. Obstacles block pathways find areas where theres literally one one to get to and be sure it blocks enemy fire and there ya go. only problem with it is you're waiting for awhile and if you dont pay attention to the radar chances are you'll eventually get naded or mobbed

Last edited:
What I mean by camping--

-- is playing defensively. :lol: Camping is the act of staying in one place that is either REALLY hard to get you out of, often through a combination of flanking being ineffective, being able to see 'nades and other projectiles coming, and good cover, OR, sitting in hard-to-see places or around corners and waiting for people to walk past you, so you can shoot them in the back uncontested.

Playing defensively is what you described (except for that last part... sitting in an alleyway is definitely camping). Camping "tactics" = scrub. Defensive tactics = smart. It's unwise to call yourself a camper if ya aren't one, bro. Gave me the wrong idea. :lol:

Thats being new if you're going to camp a specific spot or hard to reach area you're always going to die eventually for it. I rather camp there get a few kills run in a hard to see corner of the same area wait for them to attempt to mob the area kill them again run to the opposite corner kill again then return to my original spot if you manage to merc them every time they eventually stop trying except for the dedicated killer :p

Back