Anyone play Mass Effect?

I haven't played it yet. But it definitely looks epic. I really can't wait to get my hands on it.

l7cx1Cl said:
Curious... how is it? Is it as epic as everyone said it was?

Just got the game today. And yes, it really is as epic as everyone says it is. The graphics are gorgeous, and the storyline so far (i'm still in the beginning) is very entertaining.

The combat is very well done and thought out (though it will take awhile to get used to the feel of it), think of it as... Gears Of War meets Star Trek. If you've played Gears Of War, and are very familiar with the controls, then you're already halfway there with Mass Effect's combat controls. If you want to go into the battlefield, and blaze through it like Gears, you can. Or you can take a more technical approach, and use extensive strategy to take out your enemies. As for the weapons, you'll have the most fun with the Assault Rifle. There's infinite ammo in all the weapons, so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo, instead the guns have an overheating system.,. if you fire too much for too long, the guns will overheat. But there's a meter in the lower-left that shows all of this, and it's pretty easy to avoid the overheating.

The character creation system is pretty awesome, the only downside is that it's extremely limited in the hairstyle & eyebrows department. But other than that, you can create practically anyone you've seen in real life/TV (male and female). You can level up your characters and weapons as well in the game.

The dialog is excellent, and it feels very Star Wars/Star Trek like with the whole deep plots, and sci-fi spaceships, etc. You're given the freedom to choose how exactly you wish to react in any given conversation. You can be a badass and blurt out things that you don't agree with, or couldn't give a care for. Or you can be like a Captain Kirk (Star Trek), and be the good guy who follows orders, but still has a nice sense of humor. Or you can be the good guy who isn't always sure, but always asks questions.. Depending on the things you do and say in the game, will determine the outcome later on and how people will react towards you from that point on.

And i have to admit, the game gets pretty deep, and when the time comes to make certain decisions sometimes, it gets pretty difficult (because you don't want to screw up and make the wrong choice, or for example when a comrade's life is in the balance.)

The music is really nice as well, but of course if you ever get tired of it, you can choose to play your custom mp3's from either the hard drive, or your PC.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
niceee review im deffently getting this when i get my new xbox... howsthe xbox live feature..?

not sure what else to ask but tell me more haha im already getn goosebumps ;]

l7cx1Cl said:
niceee review im deffently getting this when i get my new xbox... howsthe xbox live feature..?

not sure what else to ask but tell me more haha im already getn goosebumps ;]

Xbox Live in general is excellent, you can learn more about that at www.xbox.com/live.

As for Mass Effect with Xbox Live, there was talk of online multi-play, but I think they scrapped that feature in the final release, cause i didn't see anything about it in the main menu.

Umm, what else... The facial animations during conversations are very lifelike, and the voice acting is superb (the same quality as a movie, or a high budget Star Trek show). The cities are very much alive, and along with that -- are very huge... I end up getting lost in the market buildings and plazas pretty often, because they're so huge. At times, you're able to listen in on conversations of other Non-Playable Characters in the game, when walking around... for example:

I was walking around in a small shopping corner, and a customer was being rejected of service by an alien, because he was a human (Most of the aliens hate humans). This was all happening while I was busy walking around minding my own business.

There's an encyclopedia in there, so you can learn more about all of the different cultures, species, and planets in the galaxy and universe, etc. As a nice touch, it also has voicing for it, so you don't have to read all the paragraphs of text about everything.

And that's about all i know for right now, and all i can say without spoiling the best parts for you. But I will say, that those videos and stuff of Mass Effect really don't do the game any justice, it's one of those games that you really have to pick up and play, to really enjoy the experience and to really get immersed into it.

Hope that helps.

ahhhhhhhh i cant w8 tx alot when i get my paycheck im so buyn this and the halo edition xbox

feel free to tell me more ^^

You're welcome. The game also features a very large amount of side quests, that will keep you busy for a very good while. And thankfully they're actually enjoying, as opposed to many other RPGs that feature bland and repetitive side quests.

You're able to explore the galaxy, planets, moons, and such. And can recruit many other members to your squad as you choose. Or you can choose to stick by the main comrades you first start with at the beginning of the game (which is also very nice).

I'm 18 hours in, haven't advanced far in the story at all - I've been doing all of the sidequests.

The game is amazing, I haven't felt so involved in a game.......well ever - there are just so many choices.
The story is incredible, the characters have so much depth and the gameplay is fantastic (although it does take quite a while to truly grasp how the combat system works).

Easily the best game I've played this year, but I am somewhat of an RPG fan.

I have it, beat in 23 hours. Yeah, I beat all the sidequests and explored all the planets. I really thought it was going to be a 30-40 hour game on the main storyline alone... it's not. The frame rate also drops EVERYTIME you're about to enter combat, but then runs smoothly after a while. My ally AI is as dumb as a rock, but so is the enemy AI.

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know some of the cons. Phenominal game, but not without its faults.

Can't wait to get it gotta wait until Christmas, but back when it was announced I had huge expectations for it and from what I've seen it's more than lived up

Arjayes said:
I have it, beat in 23 hours. Yeah, I beat all the sidequests and explored all the planets. I really thought it was going to be a 30-40 hour game on the main storyline alone... it's not. The frame rate also drops EVERYTIME you're about to enter combat, but then runs smoothly after a while. My ally AI is as dumb as a rock, but so is the enemy AI.

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know some of the cons. Phenominal game, but not without its faults.

You know, i find it highly unbelievable that you completed the entire game, including all side-quests in 23hrs. The main missions only rack up to about 15-20hrs, and to complete every side-quest in under 8hrs?... including the Citadel side-quests that are unlocked after completing some of the main missions in other clusters. :wtf:

I'm guessing you did very little of conversing with others, including squad mates. And probably didn't explore that much of every planet, since there's locations on the planets that don't appear on the main Map.

The AI does have it's moments of stupidity, but it really comes down to if you fail at commanding your allies, and how they should behave during combat.. if their skills are poor, and you just leave them to fight on their own, they'll undoubtedly get massacred. Especially if you have the difficulty on Casual (which dumbs the AI down)..

I'm already 34hrs into the game (still on my first playthrough), and have yet to complete every single side-quest, including the special side-quests for your crew members (Wrex, Ashley, Garrus, etc), which can only be acquired through having conversations with them.

All of the conversations, side-quests, main missions, and full planet explorations would register to about 40-50+hrs of gameplay.

And there's still the whole playing through it a second time, for the other gender or opposite personality, and classes for a differen't storyline and experience, which would register another 15-30hrs of gameplay. Since the game obviously won't play the exact same way a second time through (unless you do everything you did the last time, exactly.)

Last edited:
I also did all the sidequests - I'm confident i got at least 95% of them done, if not 100%. I ended up finishing at 28 hours with characters level 50.

Blue Sun said:
I also did all the sidequests - I'm confident i got at least 95% of them done, if not 100%. I ended up finishing at 28 hours with characters level 50.

28-30hrs sounds about right to me, Including the involvement of conversations.

But 23hrs, including all the side-quests to be unlocked at Noveria, Citadel, and Virmer (sp?) after completing missions elsewhere...seems a little odd. :lol:

Back