Automatic Shutdown

LordQx4

WiiChat Member
Mar 19, 2007
NJ
Alright. I am a bit angry. I bought my Wii about 4 weeks ago. Since the second week I had clicking noises coming from the drive and it would constantly format my Game Cube Memory cards. It also seemed to run really hot (which I didnt like). I figured something was wrong but the many who I have asked said no, its normal. Last night, however, proved me correct. The system just shut down... I was playing Star Fox 64 and 1.5 hrs into the game the console just shut down. I unplugged and plugged it back in and presto! it worked.... for a short while... I woke up this morning and bam!...dead again. I plan to call Nintendo today and find out what is up, but if anyone else has had this problem please let me know what Nintendo (or you) did to fix this problem.

It turns out that there were multiple problems with my Wii. The disc reader is messed up. The clicking sound is the laser\arm working harder then it needs to be and will eventually stop working. The main issue though is that my system was over heating. Nintendo said that this is a problem and that the fans seem to burn themselves out (especially if you are using WiiConnect 24). They are sending me a label (3-10 business days to arrive) then I have to send my Wii in for repair (3-10 business days before it gets to them) then they will send it back (8-12 business days for repair). I hope this helps anyone with similar problems as mine.

Sorry to hear that LordQx4. I hope this doesn't put you off Nintendo... all consoles have their lemons. And you my friend got one of the lemoniest lemons possible... It's amazing your machine worked at all.

How long ago did you buy it? Can you return it to the store for a new one or a refund?

LordQx4 said:
It turns out that there were multiple problems with my Wii. The disc reader is messed up. The clicking sound is the laser\arm working harder then it needs to be and will eventually stop working. The main issue though is that my system was over heating. Nintendo said that this is a problem and that the fans seem to burn themselves out (especially if you are using WiiConnect 24). They are sending me a label (3-10 business days to arrive) then I have to send my Wii in for repair (3-10 business days before it gets to them) then they will send it back (8-12 business days for repair). I hope this helps anyone with similar problems as mine.
It may be back sooner than you think I live in Ohio & this is my repair time for my Wiimote & DS (Not shipped at the same time:

Nintendo DS:
I ordered the repair Monday got my labe Weds. Sent it Thursday got it back Weds.

Wii-Mote:
Ordered repair Weds got label Thursday sent it out Friday got it back Tuesday.

Tri said:
Sorry to hear that LordQx4. I hope this doesn't put you off Nintendo... all consoles have their lemons. And you my friend got one of the lemoniest lemons possible... It's amazing your machine worked at all.

How long ago did you buy it? Can you return it to the store for a new one or a refund?
You saw that he was playing VC games, so why would he waste his money by giving back a system with purchased downloads in it to get a system that doesnt? Hed be loosing money if he didnt just simpley get it fixed.

Like said previously I did get a lemon of a Wii, but I am not turned off from Nintendo. I love the Wii system and have been a fan of Nintendo since the NES. I think they did a great job with the design and the controls for this system and the channel idea was excellent.

I was also very happy with thier support team. The few people I talked to were very pleasant and great to work with. They knew of the problem and were quick to help me get my system back up and running and were sending out the label yesterday. They input everything I said into a ticket and read it back to me.

They also informed me that with the VC and extra downloaded channels, that I would lose them if I was sent a new system (which they would have done if I didnt have any VC stuff). If they can not fix my system they will "import" all my information over to a new system and I would not be charged with re-downloading anything. He did inform me that they have had problems with the "importing" as they will need to do some stuff with my account and they have had complaints about people not getting all the VC stuff back for up to 1 month (wii shop asked them to buy the game rather then just allow it to be downloaded).

Hopefully this helps some people.

i leave mine in wiiconnect 24. hope nothing goes wrong ( knocks on wood)

Mine stays warm, but it's never seemed to have gotten too hot, hopefully nothing changes :D

You may want to check your Fans (1 in the back and 1 on bottom) regularly. If they stop working, call Nintendo asap. As longa s there is air flow through the system you should be ok.

The Wii will get the message the next time it connects to the internet. My friend send me a message and I got it three days later.

Back