Best all-round option for online Wii-ing??

Cyphizer

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
Hey guys,

Not really the most brain-taxing of questions, but I thought I would ask anyway as I'm about to venture into the world away from my Wii (in the UK) so I can connect it up to the net, and never have to leave my house again!!

Right, currently I'm living in a house with 9 other people. I set up a wired network through the house a while back and we all connect to the net through a wired ADSL router and switch.

I know there isn't really any option for us stone age wired lot atm except for using a usb dongle plugged into a pc connected to the internet. Only problem is that my PC is 2 floors and umpteen walls away from the Wii. Anyway, here are my options as I see it, just wondering which is best considering performance/money:

1: Buy a usb wifi dongle for my pc (maybe knock down walls?)

2: Buy a top notch wifi card for my pc (better then a dongle?)

3: Buy a Wireless Router. (Can you have a wired and wifi router both connected to the same connection?? There's a phone socket right next to my Wii)

Finally, is Nintendo bringing out an adapter to wire your Wii into a phone line or network? I've been reading mixed info on this. Might wait till they do if it's gonna happen.

Anyway, feel free to correct me and laugh if i'm way off the mark here :D

Thanks in advance!!

Nige

im not 100% sure about what im about to say but :D

i dont think u can plug a wierd network straight into ure wii

however, as far as i know the LAN adapter will have a ethernet socket (wired socket) to plug into which then plugs into a USB slot on ure wii - so yes u can have it wired so to speak

other option would simply be to replace ure ADSL router with a wireless router - have the other computer etc wierd into it like normal, but also have the wireless feature for ure wii

but as i said im not 100% if thats correct

Aah yeah the Wii Lan Adapter, I see it's out around January time, is that for the UK though? There's not too much stuff on Wii24 so I understand, might be worth waiting for. Otherwise, dya think a Japanese Lan Adapter would work?

Also, can the Wii just connect to a laptop or PC which is wired to the net but has a wifi card, or does it have to be a router or one of those Nintendo Dongles.

Ta very much as always! :crazy:

Nige

Last edited:
Theres no confirmed release date for the LAN adapter in UK. Not as far as i know anyway but i wouldnt think it would be any later than early next year

As for the laptop thingy as far as i know it has to be connected via a wireless access point, which is what a wireless router is. Laptops and PC cards are simple devices. I'm not 100% sure but i dont think it can go from Wii > Laptop > Router and back so to speak

Soooo, Wifi Dongle, buy a Wifi router or wait for the Lan Adapter eh.

Would love to get a wifi router to replace our old one, but it's three floors down in the basement with our server equipment :mad5: Tried one when we first moved in and got NO signal from it from half of the house

Dongle it is then

What's the signal strength on those dongles? I've heared they're pretty bad, but I might consider getting one as I've got a PSP which could use it too. Would just have to move the Wii to my room whenever i want to connect it :sad:
Actualy, reading through the forums it doesnt look like anyone has had good experiences with the Wifi Max dongle. Woe is me :cryin:

Last edited:
im pretty lucky seeing as my wireless router is about 2 walls away from my wii. If i pull it away from my desk i can see it from my room. Then again this wireless router is about 2 years old now - and the b/g signal area is still huge.

Newer wireless routers have a better signal strength now anyway - as long as u dont have stupid things like microwaves in the way that are on and killing the signal :p.

Best bet is a wireless router, though it does seem quite a way for you (do you live in a mansion or something?). You COULD possibly have a wireless router and an access point in-between the router and where your wii is. So it goes from router > access point > wii and back.

Most routers should have wifi now anyway. Nintendos site list of good wireless routers is pretty pants seeing as mine wasnt there yet it runs perfectly :)

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector does it all, I have it plugged in upstairs in my PC and my Wii works fine downstairs. I guessing when you can play online it will work similar to the DS and connect through the Wii Fi.

Yeah this is a huge house, 9 bedrooms, 6 floors. Wii is on the third floor, kitchen and 2 microwaves in between the basement (where the router is) and the rest of the house heh. My PC is on the top floor. Because its an old house, the floors are really thick too. Joy!!

Last edited:
Then a USB connector like wolfey said might be good. Or just hold out for the wired LAN adapter

i like your forum trolling btw - instant replies ftw!

Hey, when you've got nothing else to do :tard:

My mate's posting me a Linksys Wifi Dongle so I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work, I might buy some kind of Wireless Access Point and hope the signal is better (and my pc wont have to be on I guess)

My first steps into the wierd and wonderfull world of wi-fi (mouthfull that one)

Screw waiting!

I'll give yas a shout when i get the dongle, see if all this stuff works

You were talking about using a wired laptop and a wifi card, you know you can just plug the laptop into your internet near your wii, then plug in the nintendo wi-fi dongle to your laptop, that way your closer to the wii because I doubt the dongle is going to work where your current computer is located, it only has a range of 30 feet and that diminishes the more walls the signal has to go through.

Ah good idea, but I dont have a laptop. Could use a friends though I guess. I dont really see why the Wii cant connect to a wireless card in a PC to connect to the net, but thats probably why I still dont have wireless eh :p

Anyway, dongle comes tomorrow. It's not the official nintendo one, but a Linksys thingy so it'll be interesting to see if it works.

If not, hell I'm just gonna have to wait for the LAN adapter heh

what does this linksys dongle do? Got any links or info? I can tell you whether or not it will work.

Well I looked a bit and I can't find any linksys usb dongle's that actually send out an internet connection, you sure your mate isn't just sending you a usb wireless card?

Last edited:
Back