best wii streaming program

I just got tversity up and running. I love it. I've been freevoing stuff for years and just watching it on my computer because I didn't want to spring for new hardware. Now my entire library is accessible in my living room (and everywhere else for that matter). :)

FYI, it plays both the DivX that's hardware encoded by my tv402u (I'm guessing Divx 5.x) and the xvid I transcoded myself. I had to tweak it to play smoothly on my network (slow), but it works.

Great thread.

I just got Tversity, after previously using Orb, and I love it. I prefer the look of the interface. I have had a bit of trouble trying to use the toolbar a the top of the screen with the "back," "home," and other buttons though. It doesn't always appear. Also, when trying to play some songs (haven't tried any vids yet) I get a memory error.

Hey guys.

I think I have tried all the wii media streaming programs and in conclusion I would go with wiicr. The only problem is that if you want to use wiicr it takes a lot of downloading and you have to get more then just wiicr. And I think this thread should be under hardware, tho you don't need a mod chip to use streaming programs.

I've been trying various TVersity settings to get smoother playblack. When I stream to my laptop, the playback is perfect. When I stream to the Wii, it sometimes has skips in the audio. I don't think the Wii responds well to Maximum Compression, when I tried it, the skipping got even worse and it finally started lagging, but it doesn't respond any better if you drop it from Average to Minimum compression.

Next I may try to reduce the maximum aspect ratio.

Rosbaughcr said:
Also, when trying to play some songs (haven't tried any vids yet) I get a memory error.
I also get than memory error intermittently even with the same song that had worked before. In general, when I got that error, I have problem in playing some other songs too.

wii man said:
streaming on wii? explain please

ok....

basically, a console which has an internet browser and/or LAN
capability (xbox/xbox360/PS3 and now Wii) can use whats known
as streaming software.

this works pretty much like the media streaming devices which can be
purchased to "move" music / pictures / video around your house
either wirelessly or by wired methods.

there are a few "streaming" programs now available which allow the Wii
to do the above.

what you do is install the software onto the pc that you intend to use
as your "media server" and configure it to share the media to others
on your network.

the Wii connects to the server via it's internet channel...you simply
(in the case of tversity) enter the servers IP address into the Wii
IC and connect...it's that simple.

obviously, depending upon your network / server configuration you
might encounter problems with less than satisfactory playback, especially
over wireless.

tbh, if you're planning on streaming anything more than pictures / music
i'd strongly recommend connecting to the network via cable (ethernet).

video playback via 802.11g (54Mbps) can be decidedly jerky and lock-ups
can occur on a regular basis, especially with higher bit-rate films.

if you're using 802.11b (11Mbps) don't attempt to stream video!!!

if you're using 802.11b (11Mbps) don't attempt to stream video!!!

I use 802.11b on my laptop, and streaming is seamless.

Tried the latest TVersity (beta), froze in at the begining of playback on a movie. I'm on 100Mbps wired ethernet with 10Mbps from ISP. Guess I'll just stick with my TV out method...But very good program nonetheless...

Wiinter said:
I use 802.11b on my laptop, and streaming is seamless.

what?

streaming from the laptop to the Wii? what type of video are you
streaming? what bit-rate is it? how far is the laptop situated
from the Wii?

it's a well known fact that the 802.11a (54Mbps / 5Ghz) protocol
is best suited for streaming video, although it suffers greatly when
pushed over further distance.

802.11g (54Mbps / 2.4Ghz) is "ok" for streaming video, but will suffer
lag at some stage.

802.11b (11Mbps / 2.4Ghz) is best suited for static images and music.

good luck to you if you can use it......

FR3344LL said:
what?

streaming from the laptop to the Wii? what type of video are you
streaming? what bit-rate is it? how far is the laptop situated
from the Wii?

Streaming from the desktop to the laptop is what I meant, but I also stream from that same desktop to the Wii, and the transmission's source is still 802.11b. In the case of the laptop, the receiver is also 802.11b.

My router, located rather far from my freevo desktop with a low to very low signal was jumpy on the Wii at first, but it wasn't because of the wifi, because even then it streamed smoothly on my laptop. I tried a few different things, but decreasing the converted dimensions in TVersity settings smoothed it out.

As to the actual transmitted bitrate, I have no idea because TVersity is transcoding to flv, and in the process making some sacrifices to both dimensions and bitrate. But the source files I've tried are either DivX encoded at around 1200kbps or Xvid encoded at around 900 kbps. As I reported earlier, adding additional compression in TVersity's settings makes things more jumpy on the Wii, but has no effect on my laptop.

Wiinter said:
Streaming from the desktop to the laptop is what I meant, but I also stream from that same desktop to the Wii, and the transmission's source is still 802.11b. In the case of the laptop, the receiver is also 802.11b.

My router, located rather far from my freevo desktop with a low to very low signal was jumpy on the Wii at first, but it wasn't because of the wifi, because even then it streamed smoothly on my laptop. I tried a few different things, but decreasing the converted dimensions in TVersity settings smoothed it out.

As to the actual transmitted bitrate, I have no idea because TVersity is transcoding to flv, and in the process making some sacrifices to both dimensions and bitrate. But the source files I've tried are either DivX encoded at around 1200kbps or Xvid encoded at around 900 kbps. As I reported earlier, adding additional compression in TVersity's settings makes things more jumpy on the Wii, but has no effect on my laptop.

respect is due my friend.

tbh, i've mainly streamed stuff using a 360 and using the 802.11a
protocol. this handled high def .wmv's nicely indeed.

the Wii streams *ok* via 802.11g, but the framerate is considerably
lower than the 360.

this could be due to two things...processing power and of course, wireless
performance.

well done though:yesnod:

Before I got this laptop in 2004, I hadn't really payed attention to wifi--but didn't 802.11a come before 802.11b? And yet you say it's better at streaming?

Does that mean that the progression to 11b was about something other than improving bandwidth?

Downgrading a mp4 compressed file from original 640x480 to sub 300x200 doesn't make for mind-blowing video, but a lot of my programs I don't really care. When I watch the Wonder Years reruns, that it's not primo doesn't matter too much, but it is nice to be able to use my Wii this way.

Well, I feel lucky enough on the wifi issue. I got my Freevo machine wireless with a cheapo used USB transmitter a few years ago. Looking at things, I could probably get a 54g pci card (and get a better signal and maybe even less latency) new for about 20$ on ebay, and I may do that someday.

Last edited:
wiinter

google or wiki for the technical aspects of 802.11a

it runs at 54Mbps in the 5Ghz spectrum so is much less prone to interference from 2.4Ghz equipment.

the only real downside is it's lack of wireless penetration, it apparently has a shorter range than 802.11b/g

as mentioned, i used it solely with the 360 wifi adaptor and a linksys wrt55ag-uk wireless router. even high-def (720p) .wmv files played back smoothly.

Back