Book Reccomendations & What are you reading?

Robert Jordan's the wheel of time series (rereading it, one of the best series ever written and hailed as the next lord of the rings)(one of the few novels i know that has spawned not only a video game, but a soundtrack and a tv series that never got made)

George R. Martains's A song of Ice and Fire series. (great recommendation)
the first book is called A Game of Thrones. I think this guy is a better writer than tolkein to be honest, and I wont be suprised that 20 years down the line if they do not threat this series in the same light. This guy really is the best writer I can think of, and I have read a lot, even the classics.

The Drangon Lance and Forgotten Realms collection of Dungeons and Dragons books is also fairly good. The famous writer R.A Salvatore wrote a number of books, a big series in fact, for forgotten realms. You might have heard of the hero he created, Drizzt Do'Urden. That fictional character has more fansites and press than any i have ever known from a book series.

Ann Rice has a series about Vampires. Also very good, very strange though as well. Her books spawned the movie Interview with a vampire, later queen of the damned (horrible movie but the book was good), and some other things.

ok thats just a few. Those series alone have a large number of books and would keep anyone busy for a long time.

Last edited:
Ann Rice's vampire chronicles are great. "The vampire Lestat" is by far the best-leading into Queen of the damned.
Been contemplating picking up the first in the wheel of time series for a while now. Maybe next time I'm in Waterstones I'll pick it up.

No one will ever be shown in the same light as Tolkien. He created/defined what Fantasy is. Without him there would be no D&D etc. Also the thought behind Middle earth was tremendous. Its like a fantasy pre-history/mythology of Europe. The Shire is in fact oxfordshire, Mordor is where the black sea would be, moria = the Andes etc. The themes of power and corruption are universal too. blah blah could go on..
Not that I'm bashing George R. Martain or anyone else. Just Tolkien got into the top slot first, I don't think anyone is going to shift him. And a lot of these writers either took inspiration from Tolkien, or from a source inspired by Tolkien.

Beki_J said:
I read that too for GCSE :D I was soo sad when Roger threw the rock on piggy and he died lol and the conch shell shattered - symbolism of the break down of society :D + Jack reminded me of Draco Malfoy so I liked him lol.

The best books ever are Harry Potter...but the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Prachett are good too and soon I am gonna read Eragon + Eldest.

Jack was evil and wanted to destroy everything and abolished nearly all the rules, in fact, basically all the rules. I hated the character of Jack ever since the beginning because he was always so bigheaded and outspoken.

I liked Simon and Samneric.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
Ann Rice's vampire chronicles are great. "The vampire Lestat" is by far the best-leading into Queen of the damned.
Been contemplating picking up the first in the wheel of time series for a while now. Maybe next time I'm in Waterstones I'll pick it up.

No one will ever be shown in the same light as Tolkien. He created/defined what Fantasy is. Without him there would be no D&D etc. Also the thought behind Middle earth was tremendous. Its like a fantasy pre-history/mythology of Europe. The Shire is in fact oxfordshire, Mordor is where the black sea would be, moria = the Andes etc. The themes of power and corruption are universal too. blah blah could go on..
Not that I'm bashing George R. Martain or anyone else. Just Tolkien got into the top slot first, I don't think anyone is going to shift him. And a lot of these writers either took inspiration from Tolkien, or from a source inspired by Tolkien.

have you read a george r martin book yet? I used to think like you too. Between CS Lewis's chronicles of Narnia and the Hobbit/fellowship of the ring series, nothing else could come close. Oh sure Tolkein helped pioneer the fantasy genre, but it has been around long before tolkein I am affraid. Especially the hero's journy aspect of it all. Take Beowulf for example, or the old norse ledgends that inspired tolkien.

Tolkien is great, but untill you have read George R. Martin's series, you wouldnt understand that another great writer has been born. I am by far more impressed by George R. Martin's ability at story telling and his character creations than Tolkien, which suprised me at first. All authors are fantastic, but the song of fire and ice will echo in literature circles for generations.

mr_resi said:
RUN FOR COVER: THE ART OF DEREK RIGGS

Best...Book...EVER

Lol self quote, anyways, goof luck finding this book cuz i got the ast copie :p (Baught it from martin himself)

Anyways heres a pic of the cover(Drawn by derek riggs himself)

popoff_derekriggs.jpg

Back