Brawl Gameplay Update and Analysis

Wiimoto

Sonic + Brawl = Ownage
Jan 1, 2008
Brawl was released last week and was tore apart by japanese gamers and import gamers alike. The game is selling a sh!tload of copies and news is racing across the web. The question: Is it worth it?

Well, before you read any further, I can tell you yes. Sakurai is a genius, and has done many amazing things with the gameplay and game. While the core of melee and '64 is intact, many things are changed. For instance most techniques you had in melee are almost useless in brawl, as things like L-cancelling and wavedashing won't work anymore. Instead new techniques have been found almost instantanously, and they are very satisfiying and lead to an even deeper game then melee. The speed of the game is a little slower, making it easy to access for beginners, but the gameplay has been deepened by enhanced physics and control. So once you get sucked into the game, you'll find a plethora of ways to enhance your playing. Its hard to explain, but this game is just plain amazing.

One of the biggest gameplay additions that may not sound big at first, is the damage reduction of spammable attacks. Meaning, if you the same move over and over, it will dramatically decrease in damage. Despite doubts, it has proven to be a enormous change.

I can't really explain it well, so I'll quote SamuraiPanda from the smash world forums:

I just realized that if this "spam a move and the knockback decreases" thing is true... then wont this open up an entirely new aspect of comboing to the game? Less knockback = more combos = can combo into other attacks (i.e. the KO ones). This could really be quite deep.

I also thought of something else as I keep watching these videos... This could easily explain why the game lasts until 150%+. In Melee, we could Melee spam our KO attacks until it actually kills them. But in Brawl when people do that, they end up not being able to kill them anymore because of the drastically reduced knockback. This could make the game MUCH faster, and bring the tournaments back up to 4 stock once people learn to save their KO attacks until damage is racked up. Plus, this could transform Brawl into a game of incredible skill, requiring you to master every attack your character has at their disposal in order to deal damage without spamming their best attacks.

Wow. When you combine the possiblity of comboing better by purposefully doing this on weaker attacks and "saving" your KO attacks until you can kill them... Assuming this is true... we might have discovered the most important aspect of Brawl so far. To the extent that it'll change how Brawl itself is played.

So we will have to master characters if we want to unlock their full potential, and it will drastically change the game, as Panda has said.

Battle is also a little different with all the AT's, final smashes, and changing stages, but they all mesh perfectly with the battle system creating epic showdowns in every match. If you were ever dissapointed by brawl, you should reconsider because Sakurai has made one of the best games of all time!

The gameplay in brawl is different, but freaking awesome once you get into it. Its a change from melee but seriously kick ass when you start playing. So with all the along with the huge amount of features, great soundtrack, epic sub-space emissary, and tons of collectable trophies and stickers, we have some serious brawling to do.

GigaRidley said:
Wait have you already played the game?
Nah I just analyzed from alot of forum topics and vids:yesnod:

Back