Broadband vital to Virtual Console?!!?

jodyroberts

WiiChat Member
Jun 25, 2006
hi guys..
I'm just wondering whether you can use a dial up connection to download the VC games ?.
obviously i coulnd't play online games using dial up, but just wondered if my VC theory could work haha..even though it would take forever to download!.haha

Thanks in advance for answers

It may....I can't say much but I think you may just want to get broadband if you don't have it....I mean if you don't....your going to spend years waiting to get the games you want on the virtual console!

jodyroberts said:
hi guys..
I'm just wondering whether you can use a dial up connection to download the VC games ?.
obviously i coulnd't play online games using dial up, but just wondered if my VC theory could work haha..even though it would take forever to download!.haha

Thanks in advance for answers
If all you are doing is downloading VC games, which probably will be small in size considering Wii's internal 512MB of storage is somewhat small, then dial-up should work fine, but I'm not 100% sure.

Big_Mill said:
No you cant. The preview video on IGN only shows connection options using broadband methods.
Well actually, the Xbox was said to only allow Broadband, but there are adaptors that allow you to connect to Xbox Live via dial-up. So it's possible, it's just not condoned by Nintendo.

Well most roms are quite small
unless there n64 games you ok

It may be worth getting the broadband. If you pay monthly then in the UK (dont know where you are) then it shouldn't be that much more expensive. Only a couple of pounds a month extra if anything. Then you could go the full hit, playing online games, using the wii's opera browser etc. If you're on one of those pay as you go things, then the amount of time spent downloading, it may have been cheaper to buy broadband. Though i should imagine there would be some way of doing it with dial-up.

Dail up is to slow bb is better you will notice the speed difrence

i thought as much,that BB is the only real answer..I'll have to get it then...once my wii arrives!.
thanks all,,

It's more of a hardware issue than anything else.

The Wii can only receive from the Internet in one of two ways:

1) It's built-in 802.11 Wifi
2) The Ethernet port in the back.

Neither of these formats are dial-up compliant out of the box. You would need to enable ICS on a PC with the dial-up modem and then share out the signal to a router/Ethernet card to be able to transmit data to the Wii.

Although, I suppose the whole process could be simplified by purchasing the Nintendo Wifi dongle and just transmitting straight out of your computer that way.

Back