Brunswick Bowling.. initial thoughts

legbuh

WiiChat Member
Apr 11, 2007
First let me start off by saying I love Wii Sports bowling... :)

In a word, Brunswick bowling didn't get me excited... well, the thought of it did, but after playing it.. I could care less if I play again. A friend bought it so we played a couple games.

First game was in "Quick Mode". We played each other. Seemed ok.. we both broke 100.. But, it was quirky. There didn't seem to be a way to control speed, spin, or anything with the Wiimote. You just set your position, angle, and pray... Sometimes it curved like you wanted, other times too much, some times it went straight (not when you wanted it to), and sometimes it actually did curve the other way. Oh well we thought, just gotta learn more. But the throw, twist etc seemed to have little to no affect.

Oh, we did read the manual. There's nothing in it that explains any of it..

Then we both tried one game in Career mode. All the quirks seemed to be multipled x100. Good luck breaking 80. :)

The game movement itself is slow. Not "real time" like other Wii games. Playing career mode you can set up a character with unique features, but there are 10x more features to choose from when setting up a Mii than a person in career mode... so you're pretty much limited to male, female, muscular or "chunky", beard or no beard, glasses or not, hat or not. Hard to make really unique characters.

In career mode you couldn't play against someone else's character. You played some computer generated character.. and you couldn't skip their bowling.. had to watch it.. I can't imagine if you had to do that with more than one opponent... *YAWN*

I didn't like it.. there's more to expand on, but until you play it... well... it's hard to explain why I didn't care for it. Obviously a very poor port from PS2 or something. Very poor use of the Wiimote... very SLOW in action.. I could see trouble starting if you plan a night of bowling and beer with this.. you would very quickly put back in Wii Sports Bowling and have fun all night..

I sure hope GHIII doesn't suck!

Thats too bad, I was looking foward to that. I'll still have to try it but it sounds like all the stuff that bugged you would piss me off. Nintendo needs to just expand on what they got right in Wii Sports and make more beefy versions of bowling and golf.

I was hoping to get a review on this. Thanks!

Back