Buggered My Console

grahamr

WiiChat Member
Dec 17, 2009
China
Ok heres the story, first off, YES!!! I run a modchip!

Now before i get a million posts telling me I should know better and serves me right and so on and so on, let me explain.

I DO NOT RUN IT TO PLAY PIRATED GAMES

I bought my Wii in the UK when they came out and last year, moved to China where my wife is from to live and work.
When I went to thre store and bought a new game, I found I could not play it, after many visits back and fourth, changing discs and whatever, the store asked me to bring my console in. They looked at it and explained that because it was from the UK, the games sold here would not work - not happy.

I then found out that if I installed a modchip that would allow me to run the games from other countries so bought a chip that clips on. Hey presto i was able to run the game I bought and have continued buying and running games from over here - problem solved.

I have updated the system now I have an interent connection again, and everything has gone wrong.

I can no longer run any games at all

My data management is inaccessable, it crashes.

I can go on the Internet channel and that works, but there must be another system update already as the forcast and shop say I need to update. However when I try it wont do it, it gives an error (32007), which after googling I have learned may me an issue with the router, I have done everything to the router I can think of, still doesnt work, but the internet channel works so it cant be a connection problem at my end anyway.

My question is what the hell do I do now, I cannot seem to find any details on official repairers or Nintendo in China, and cannot send it to the UK, most of my post goes astray when I send overseas and the cost would mean it was cheaper ust to buy a new console here.

Nintendo wont touch it if its chipped or modded best bet is to try and find a local repair shop or buy one locally

Nintendo wont touch it if its chipped or modded best bet is to try and find a local repair shop or buy one locally

I dont know how they would know to be honest, its not soldered on its on a removable clip.

Silence.... That's what I thought.
Nintendo most certainly do not test and inspect every single console that comes in for repair around the globe, to do so would cost them too much money at the end of the day. Not only that but I have checked and a modded system will be repaired by Nintendo, but not under any warranty you may have had and they will not give you an additional warranty after the repair, as they often give you another year when it has been fixed.

But Nintendo aside anyway, as I am not prepared to send it through the poor postal system in China. Does anyone know of any other means to restore the system.

Nintendo most certainly do not test and inspect every single console that comes in for repair around the globe, to do so would cost them too much money at the end of the day. Not only that but I have checked and a modded system will be repaired by Nintendo, but not under any warranty you may have had and they will not give you an additional warranty after the repair, as they often give you another year when it has been fixed.

But Nintendo aside anyway, as I am not prepared to send it through the poor postal system in China. Does anyone know of any other means to restore the system.

I was asleep.
It was half four in the morning.

They will more than likely charge you for a repair.
Aside from via Nintendo there are possibly repair shops that will do it

Just like almost every electrical device out these days, the Wii has a warranty sticker (or stickers), I have only noticed the two towards the front below the SD card flap, when these stickers are removed, they are really hard to get back on as they lose some of their adhesive, plus with dirt and hair in the air, that will also stick to the adhesive

Just by the absence or destruction of those stickers, Nintendo usually gets the idea that the console has been tampered with

Nintendo also puts a tiny bit of adhesive to each screw, this puts just enough hold on the screw that it require extra torque to remove those given screws, when going to repair a Wii, Nintendo checks the torque required to remove the screws

little torque=tampered Wii (voided warranty)
excessive torque=untampered Wii (warranty still valid)

This means, if you just open the Wii to take a peek inside, even without changing anything inside, your warranty is still void because those screws are removed

Aside from that, the problem you are having with your Wii could have been caused because of the update itself, Nintedo creates updates not only to add new features and security updates, Nintendo will occasionally make an update targeted to "bricking" Wiis with modchips, this is done to prevent piracy and buying games from different countries (like in your case, Chinese games on a UK Wii) as some countries have the same game available for a cheaper price, and Nintendo wants you to buy the game from the country the Wii was meant for so you don't pay less for a game my importing

If you do some searches for modding a Wii, you will see that some people will add a toggle switch to their Wii, this is to turn off the modchip during an update to prevent bricking, there are also a lot of people that won't update their Wii so it can't be bricked

At this point, your only option may be to just buy a Chinese Wii and throw the UK one out

i never gotta use my warranty cuz my Wii never had problems
True, same here, the Wii is the most stable console out of all 3, but you never know your future, even with the reliability of the Wii, you may run into an unexplained error, then you are going to wish you had the warranty

And in my experience, as soon as you void your warranty, that's exactly when it needs to be serviced, yet if you never void your warranty, then you never need it

Back