Can Wii & PC Be on net together?

CodenameC

Wii + DS Phat Owner
Dec 28, 2007
I have a wii lan adapter which works fine plugged into the modem when my pc
is turned off. But then when my pc is turned on and using the net i cannot connect the wii to the internet.

Is there anyway way i can have both on the internet at the same time?

p.s. im using the auto detect ip on the wii, is this anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Router needed

If I had to guess i would say that you can't based on your setup. It would depend on the style modem you got for the internet connection. You most likley need a router. The modem would connect to the router and then the wii and the PC would connet to the router (either wireless or with cables depending on which kind of router you get). You should be able to get a decent router for about $70 at you local computer store.

oops i meant router, not modem
my wii is connect to the router via a lan adapter and my pc is also connected to the same router

In that case you should be able to do connect both to the internet at the same time. Check your router setup to make sure "DHCP" is on and has a range setup of more than 1 IP address. If your router is handing out only 1 IP address at a time it would defently cause the problem that you are descriping. You have both the computer and the Wii connected with the same type of cable? the computer isn't connected using a usb cable is it?

my pc is connect from the router with a usb and the wii from the router with an ethernet cable into the lan adaptor
and yes i think my wii is using the same ip address but when i put in a custom one like it told me on the nintendo site (using command prompt on my pc to get its ip adress and adding 10 to it) it wouldnt connect
i did everything it said but i still didnt connect so i gave up and used auto ip and it connected
also i dont know how i get to the router setup

Last edited:
What is the ip address that your pc was using? What is the name on the router? Does it have space to plug in two network cables? (ones like the one the wii is using.)

The wii is using the auto ip address thing it has so it is using the same ip address as my pc (which works + i dont want to give out my ip adress if poss)
The router is a motorola surfboard and it has one ethernet port (used by the wii) and another one (dunno the name, it square-ish ans thicker than a usb) the has a wire with a usb on the other end that goes into the pc.

Do a google search Motorola Surfboard Modem and you will find that it is a cable "MODEM". this is your problem. You defintly need a router.

oh
thanks anyway
can i still use my lan adaptor like i am at the moment from the modem (it works & i dont really care that they cannot be on the net at the same time) or do i have to get a router

Last edited:
oh
thanks anyway
can i still use my lan adaptor like i am at the moment from the modem (it works & i dont really care that they cannot be on the net at the same time) or do i have to get a router

you can deffintly still use it the way you currently have it setup.

I would suggest that you have a good firewall on your PC, that is the other function of a router is to keep people off of your PC. But if you have a good firewall you should be good.

i have "a" firewall, on my pc, do i need one for the modem (if they make them?)
if it isnt good enough, could my wii be damaged

Last edited:
Back