can you acess the wii , though the network?

Hackspace

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I haven't tried this yet but has anybody tried to access the wii the the network on a windows pc? either like map it as a network drive or just access it in any way I know you can see it and ping it. Just seeing if has tried it and what there results were.

Hackspace said:
I haven't tried this yet but has anybody tried to access the wii the the network on a windows pc? either like map it as a network drive or just access it in any way I know you can see it and ping it. Just seeing if has tried it and what there results were.

From my scans I haven't found any open ports on the Wii. Granted, I've only scanned the common ranges so far. Since nothing is open there won't be any way to access it. However, this is something they could change with a firmware update, so we'll see.

Edit: Well, I apparently overlooked the fact that the FTP port is open. So, I'll explore that and see what can be done with it.

Last edited:
did you try it while having the shop channel open? it has to have an open port when the web browser channel is out. there is no way it has that good of a firewall.

Hackspace said:
did you try it while having the shop channel open? it has to have an open port when the web browser channel is out. there is no way it has that good of a firewall.

Well, that's not exactly how it works. It can access the internet without opening a port for incoming connections.

yeah i know, but still I bet it will open up alot more, but theyll probably fix those holes later on any ways.

Have you tried using a tool like Ethereal to monitor the traffic going through your router while a Wii network connection is in progress?

I've heard of a few people doing it, but I don't know the results.

I'm running WPA at the moment, so I can't see anything but broadcast packets to/from the Wii. Maybe tomorrow I'll be motivated enough to step back to WEP so I can monitor it.

stuckshut said:
Edit: Well, I apparently overlooked the fact that the FTP port is open. So, I'll explore that and see what can be done with it.

Any luck with this? Does it let you log in anonymous?

My guess is it's not an ftp server, whatever it is just happens to be running on port 21. It doesn't return any server banner, and every input I give it just gets me disconnected.

stuckshut said:
My guess is it's not an ftp server, whatever it is just happens to be running on port 21. It doesn't return any server banner, and every input I give it just gets me disconnected.

Why would it have an ftp server set up on it? If anything you would FTP from the wii.

vagrant said:
Why would it have an ftp server set up on it? If anything you would FTP from the wii.

I'm sure I don't know. But it seems strange that they would put something other than FTP on port 21.

Anyway... stuckshut, you say any input from you closes the connection. Does it close after a single character or does it wait until you send a carriage return?

Stunt Programmer said:
I'm sure I don't know. But it seems strange that they would put something other than FTP on port 21.

Anyway... stuckshut, you say any input from you closes the connection. Does it close after a single character or does it wait until you send a carriage return?

Nothing else would be using port 21.

And finding the ftp port open on a machine doesn't mean it is running an ftp server.

And it remote closes you. Meaning there is no ftp server, thus nothing to connect to.

the wii shows up on my router page with an IP address but doesn't have a name

Back