Cant Connect My Wii To Internet WIRED

golfisfun

WiiChat Member
Mar 2, 2009
Alright so here is the issue i bought this monday at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...=1218051663723&skuId=9188611&st=Wii&cp=1&lp=3

I'm at a small commuinty college in northern maine and this school will only allow us one item on the wireless network. So i had to use my laptop for that connection and i only have one jack in my room so i had to have my desktop hooked up to that. I bought this hoping i can connect myself to the internet with it for my Wii.

I just hooked up my laptop cause i figured i could bridge the connection like i have to do with my 360 to be able to use my xbox online which works. When i was setting up my wired connection i got this error

Wii Error Code 52730 - 52732

This error is caused by a device in your network trying to access the same IP address as the Wii console.

Any ideas what my next step should be to correct this?

A Hub will not work as your school DHCP server is assign to give only one IP address to your room. You'll need to get a Switch or a wireless router and have that unit connected to your ethernet port. From there connect your Wii/Computer/Xbox and what ever item you want to the switch or Wireless router. If your school requires a user name and password to login everytime then your out of luck unless you ask your School Information Technology Department.

Note: Your link does not work.

You don't need a wireless ap, a switch or a router. Google something called ICS or internet connection sharing. This will work just fine for you. The only requirement is that the pc in question needs to have 2 nic's. Without that its not going to work. (most pc's within the past 5 years have 2 nics on the motherboard)

checked with IT i cant have a HUB in my room. A ICS?

A Hub will not work as it does not assign IP address. Think of it as a smart spliter. Only a switch or router will work. Forgot to mention but only a layer 2 switch. Think of your school as your internet service provider. They will assign you a IP address which will become your layer 2 switch or router. Now when you connect your Xbox, wii, and computer to the layer 2 switch or router it will be getting thier IP address from the switch/router. The internet in which your school provides will be given to the switch/router then it will be passed on over to your internet connected devices. Your school system will only see the layer 2 switch/router.

A Hub will not work as it does not assign IP address. Think of it as a smart spliter. Only a switch or router will work. Forgot to mention but only a layer 2 switch. Think of your school as your internet service provider. They will assign you a IP address which will become your layer 2 switch or router. Now when you connect your Xbox, wii, and computer to the layer 2 switch or router it will be getting thier IP address from the switch/router. The internet in which your school provides will be given to the switch/router then it will be passed on over to your internet connected devices. Your school system will only see the layer 2 switch/router.

What do i need to buy to do that?

Just head on over to your local electronic store and buy your self a wireless router. A good and cheap unit is the Netgear WRG614 at bestbuy for $39.99. First off answer these questions of first.

1) When going onto the net on your computer, does your school ask for a user name and password when you open your browser?

2) Where you require to give the school IT your MAC address or are you able to connect a different computer to the same port if you were to disconnect it from your computer?

Just head on over to your local electronic store and buy your self a wireless router. A good and cheap unit is the Netgear WRG614 at bestbuy for $39.99. First off answer these questions of first.

1) When going onto the net on your computer, does your school ask for a user name and password when you open your browser?

2) Where you require to give the school IT your MAC address or are you able to connect a different computer to the same port if you were to disconnect it from your computer?

Why would i buy a Wireless Router? I am not aloud to have it in my room hooked up to the internet, i tryed that with wired router and even my school PC would not connect to the internet being pluged into the router.

1. No
2. Yes i had to give it my MAC addy on my PC

Your answer on number 2 explains why your router didn't work. You need to contact your schools IT and give them the router mac address. What happened is that your school is filtering all connected devices through the mac address and currently only your PC is given to them. Once you update your MAC address to your router, all internet traffic will go through that unit. From then on your computer and all other devices will connect to the router. If you ever want to update your router or remove it you'll need to contact your schools IT with the updated mac address of what ever device you'll be plugging into the ethernet jack.

Think of the mac address as a finger print. Every single device on this planet with a data connection either it be wireless or wired will have a differnet mac address and none will ever be the same.

Last edited:
Your answer on number 2 explains why your router didn't work. You need to contact your schools IT and give them the router mac address. What happened is that your school is filtering all connected devices through the mac address and currently only your PC is given to them. Once you update your MAC address to your router, all internet traffic will go through that unit. From then on your computer and all other devices will connect to the router. If you ever want to update your router or remove it you'll need to contact your schools IT with the updated mac address of what ever device you'll be plugging into the ethernet jack.

Think of the mac address as a finger print. Every single device on this planet with a data connection either it be wireless or wired will have a differnet mac address and none will ever be the same.

Sadly after checking with my IT dept i am not aloud to have a Router in my room.

Edit: I have one more question, Is there anyway to be able to do a ICS setup like i do for my 360 to use it online? I have my 360 pluged into my PC and i just use the schools wireless so i can have internet for both. If i plug the Wii into my PC can i do the same thing?

Edit2: I was wondering also my friend over at the other college 2 miles away from mine has a sign in proxy. He said if i brought my Wii over and we changed the MAC address on the PC to the Wiis it would connect to his schools wireless network. Is that true?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have told them that it was a router but oh well.

At your friends school, if you were to update the mac address within the schools IP with the Wii then you'll be fine. You'll also need to know the proxy address as you'll need to enter that within the network setup.

Ok so i guess ill try it at my friends school, do you mind if i send u a couple screenshots? Also which MAC addy so i need to change? My wiis or the PC we are going to use?

Back