Casual Gamers, Wiis biggest enemy?

i consider myself a hardcore gamer i have been playing games since i was about 7. ive had alot of consoles in that time but most of them were nintendo. Nintendo has always had games for the harcore gamer look at resident evil 4, metroid prime 1 and 2, Prince of pesia and zelda these are just a few of the hardcore games that nintendo have produced over the years. but Nintendo still produces games or the casual gamer just as microsoft and sony

I am pretty sure nintendo had no part in making prince of persia or resident evil 4

IcedEarth81 said:
Here's the deal with the Wii.

It covers the broad spectrum of gamers. Its owners include (previously)non-gamers, casual gamers, Nintendo fanboys, old school gamers, and hardcore gamers. Does it have more hardcore gamers than PS3 or 360? No. Why? Because those systems were created specifically with the hardcore crowd in mind and the majority of games are too. The Wii on the other hand is trying to get people from every walk of life on board. It's a smart move too.

The Wii version of games, like Madden and Fifa, are going to include side mini-games. Why? Because there are some Wii owners that aren't typically going to buy those types of games but like multiplayer minigames and party games. EA is trying to branch out to take advantage of that and make more money. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just smart business.

Does the existence of those games make the Wii kiddie because they have a cartoonish look? Absolutely not. Again, you have to see what the company is going for there. The core gameplay is still the same. The look is meant not to overwhelm the casual and non-gamers.

Some classify the Wii as kiddie. That couldn't be further from the truth. Just because every game made for it isn't hardcore, doesn't involve shooting and blood, and isn't rated M doesn't make it kiddie. The look of some games doesn't make it kiddie. The fact remains that the Wii has a great variety of games, and that is one of the keys to its success. It doesn't exclude any type of gamer out there, but rather tries to get a piece from every pie. You have games like WarioWare and Mario Party 8 and you have games like Godfather, RE4, Scarface, and the first true AO game ever in Manhunt 2. No More Heroes is coming soon and that will also be very violent. In Scarface you can get a chainsaw and saw off people's body parts with blood splattering everywhere. In Manhunt 2 you can rip off a person's genitals with a pair of pliars. In No More Heroes you can cut someone in half with your laser sword. Is that kiddie?

The extra parts to Fifa and Madden cost you nothing extra. The game is still $50. I know with Madden they didn't just cheap their way out either, they did make an effort to improve the visuals, so the extra didn't come at a cost to the regular gameplay. The company, in this case EA, ponied up the cash to add these features in the hopes of broadening their buyer base and involving more people in the game. Why is the inclusion of these mini-games such a problem?

The post above says exactly what i would have and has saved me a lot of typing,nice one.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
Again you have to keep in mind that as someone else has said in here, the wii is risking becoming viewed as as TOO kiddie. In this case, what content appeals to kids most will show up more often while at the same time it will alienate those might not want that in a sports game.

This seems to be the main point of your posts, the rest is just meaningless crap.

Alright.
1. Let us define what content appeals to the kid gamer.
You seem to be suggesting that blood and gore does not appeal to the kid gamer when clearly it does. Do you think 10-12 year olds are not playing GTA/RE right now?

2. Many of the games that are released on the PS3/360 will be released on the Wii, just as they were with the XBOX/PS2/GC. And I'd rather have the exclusive titles of Nintedo than those of the 360/PS3.

3. What's this crap about not wanting extra content in a game? If I have some extra content in my game why would I be unhappy?
To use your restaurant analogy.. It's like going to macdonalds, ordering a cheese burger and being asked if you'd like *FREE* fries with your burger.. you can always say no (Not play the mini games).

Last edited:
powpowpow said:
This seems to be the main point of your posts, the rest is just meaningless crap.

Alright.
1. Let us define what content appeals to the kid gamer.
You seem to be suggesting that blood and gore does not appeal to the kid gamer when clearly it does. Do you think 10-12 year olds are not playing GTA/RE right now?

2. Many of the games that are released on the PS3/360 will be released on the Wii, just as they were with the XBOX/PS2/GC. And I'd rather have the exclusive titles of Nintedo than those of the 360/PS3.

3. What's this crap about not wanting extra content in a game? If I have some extra content in my game why would I be unhappy?
To use your restaurant analogy.. It's like going to macdonalds, ordering a cheese burger and being asked if you'd like *FREE* fries with your burger.. you can always say no (Not play the mini games).

I dont agree with Shiftfallout but I think his point is that the fact that the mini-games are there detracts from the game and gives it that kiddy image. Even if you dont play them they are still there.

madbeanman said:
I dont agree with Shiftfallout but I think his point is that the fact that the mini-games are there detracts from the game and gives it that kiddy image. Even if you dont play them they are still there.
Extra content never detracts from a game. As for the kiddy image.. so what? Thats all it is.. an image, the main game remains the same and is no more kiddy than the non wii versions.

The only people that care if the wii has a kiddy image.. are kids.

powpowpow said:
Extra content never detracts from a game. As for the kiddy image.. so what? Thats all it is.. an image, the main game remains the same and is no more kiddy than the non wii versions.

The only people that care if the wii has a kiddy image.. are kids.

Well if there was a My Little Pony scene in Gears Of War I think it would detract from the game .

madbeanman said:
I am pretty sure nintendo had no part in making prince of persia or resident evil 4

so there will always be third party games

madbeanman said:
Well if there was a My Little Pony scene in Gears Of War I think it would detract from the game .
I don't.

But I meant extra optional content never detracts from a game. The mini games don't have to be played and aren't a part of the main game.
It's like when you buy a DVD and get extra scenes.. I don't watch them.. but I don't mind that they're there.

unless the game makes you play the minigames then it detracts from the game.

Back