Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gamers Still Loyalists?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by CantGetAWii, Jan 4, 2008.

1. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Decent little article talking about those "Next Gen Warz".

#1 CantGetAWii, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. Pikachu256

Pikachu256 KryKidd

Very Good Article.
    My Favorite Sentence In The Whole Article. IMO, So Don't Flame Me.
    I Haven't Played My Wii In Weeks. =[

3. Wiimoto

Wiimoto Sonic + Brawl = Ownage

Lol I'm not a wii fanboy or anything but I say people stop dissing other peoples consoles and just buy what they want. This is a wii forum, im sure there are ps3 and xbox360 forums out there. I'm really happy with my wii, I'm not a hardcore gamer, and besides I have a cpu with alot of great games on it, why should I buy something less powerful and worse online? PC + Wii ftw.

4. Bumble14

Bumble14 New Wii Addict

That was a great read.

Personally, I think people have gotten away from the whole "console loyalty", and have gotten more into game loyalty, and I believe it is more of a generational issue than it was back in the Nintendo vs Sega days. Let me explain:

I grew up in the 80's, and the NES was the first gaming console I was exposed to at about 6 years old. Therefore I grew up with the Mario's, the Zelda's, the Metroids, in depth puzzle games, simplistic sports games. Eventually I saw the rise of the 16bit days with the Sonic games, the NHL Hockey series, and others that trademarked those years. My high school years saw the N64 rise to prominence with Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Zelda, etc...games that defined genres and generation. As soon as the Playstation gave rise to the PS2, and the Xbox was born, that is where gaming to me went down hill.

Here's the problem: It's not like the Xbox and PS2 were bad systems, or had terrible games, it is just that for some reason the industry shifted away from creating games for the sake of making games, to making games with big budget hollywood production values for the sake of making big money. That is where the industry has flopped for me. As soon as developers lost touch of the fun games could provide by challenging us with puzzles, or mind bending challenges (like in the Mario's and Zelda's), gaming gave rise to a new generation of gamer....a generation I like to call the "Halo" generation.

The Halo generation doesn't understand the "Mario Generation" (us 80's kids) because they were never exposed to the type of games we were. The Halo generation's idea of an all time classic is, you guessed it, Halo. Now Halo was a super game, and a game I still play to this day, but when you compare the meat of the game, along with it's core gameplay dynamics to a game like say Super Mario 3, or Zelda Ocarina of Time, there really is no comparison.

Since the advent of Halo, and other games of that generation, the industry has been slipping into a trend of mind numbingly bland gameplay in videogames (i.e. go here, kill all these guys, collect this, kill these guys, watch 10 minute cutscene, kill more guys, collect item). I know these are the core fundamentals behind basically every game made, but what today's games are lacking are the intagibles that made the "old" days great. How about multiple level exits like Super Mario World? Where are the hidden items that effect gameplay like warp zones? To this day, almost 20 years after it's release, I will sit down and play Mario 3 for an entire day while title's like Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect just sit on my shelf...why? Becuase it is just that good and innovative to this very day--how many games released in the last 5 years can make that claim.

My whole point is that I think there is more of a generational battle going on here more os than a console battle, and it is very much game dependent. You will have people arguing that the Wii is a kiddy system because Mario is a kiddy game, when in fact I bet a lot of Wii owners are over 25, latching onto the system because it allows us Mario Generation'ers to rekindle our youth. On other systems Gen Mario prefers games with tons of depth, gameplay variety, and innovation, and are fans of games that have high replay value/staying power... whereas Gen Halo likes games that are quick, provide lots of in your face moments, all the bells and whistles, and are ready for a slightly touched up sequel less than a year later because they are "bored" with the game. The Halo Generation would never spend their time finding every level exit in Mario World, or even explore Star Road for that matter--it's all about instant gratification to those gamers, and can you really blame them? Look at the trends of the games they have been nursed on--they didn't have Mega Man 2 or Kid Icarus like we did-they know nothing different than "today's" games.

There is a part of me that wishes the good ol days of the console developer battles were still going on, and that brand loyalty mattered. Unfortunatly, in todays world of non exclusive games, I just see battlelines being drawn in the sand over specific titles rather than actual systems.

#4 Bumble14, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008