Classic Mario Games?

bulls6pack

WiiChat Member
Dec 8, 2009
Peoria, IL.
Im new to the Nintendo Wii, and to these forums. I have a quick question, and if it's been asked before I apologize in advance. Is there a Wii game out there, with the classic Mario games on it? Mario 1, 2, 3, World, and 64? If there isnt, is the DS and SP the only routes to go, other than the vintage consoles? Thank you for any responses.

There are older Mario games on the Virtual Console.
You need your Wii to have on-line gubbins (and Wiipoints)to down load them
Its all in the Wii shop

Thank you for the reply. Can you explain these things to me, Im still new to the wii world. What are virtual console, online gubbins, and wii points? Last question is do you know if you can get all 5 Mario games (Mario 1,2,3, Mario World, & Mario 64)on this virtual console? Thanks!

by 'online gubbins' he means you need a working internet connection.

go to the "Wii Shop Channel" on the main menu.
from there you pick "Virtual Console" or "Wiiware"
pick the VC and scroll through the games. from there you just pick a game and download it.

as for Wii Points, thats the Shop Channel currency. 1 point translates to 1 american dollar. you either get points via credit card or by purchasing pre-paid points cards at stores.

NES
Mario 1 costs 500 points
2 costs 600
3 costs either 600 or 800 (can't remember)
SNES
Super Mario World costs 800
N64
Mario 64 costs 1000

so thats roughly 35-40$ right there. also to play any VC game NOT on the NES requires a Gamecube or Classic Controller (which both cost around 20$)

by 'online gubbins' he means you need a working internet connection.
Yeah that
go to the "Wii Shop Channel" on the main menu.
from there you pick "Virtual Console" or "Wiiware"
pick the VC and scroll through the games. from there you just pick a game and download it.

Should be pointed out that you can buy Wiiponts on the Wii

So instead of my wife buying me a DS and all those classic games, I can just get online on my Wii and spend about 35-40 bucks and I can play all 5 of those games anytime I want? Also, how do I get online with it? Is there wifi built in like PS3, or do I need to add any addition equipment? The reason I know nothing about the Wii, is because I dont have it yet. We as a family are getting it for xmas, and Im just trying to get my ducks lined up. Thank you to those who took the time to explain in detail!

Wifi is built in
Its all covered in certain topics in the online section.

As soon as you go onto the Wiishop when its online you will be a bit overwhelmed with all the games to down load (for a cost)

You don't need a classic controller. Only for harvest moon. The wiimote works just fine for me on all mario ones. Except I don't have world , yoshis island and 64. I have the original consoles and games for all those.

You don't need a classic controller. Only for harvest moon. The wiimote works just fine for me on all mario ones. Except I don't have world , yoshis island and 64. I have the original consoles and games for all those.
that's because those are all NES titles. for VC games NOT on the NES, you do. i pointed it out above.

There are indeed a whole lot of classic Mario games on the VC. :papermario:

NES
Mario Bros - 500 points
Super Mario Bros - 500 points
Super Mario Bros 2 - 500 points
Super Mario Bros 3 - 500 points
Super Mario Bros: The Lost levels - 600 points

SNES
Super Mario World - 800 points
Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars - 800 points
Super Mario Kart - 800 points

N64
Mario Bros 64 - 1000 points
Mario Kart 64 - 1000 points
Paper Mario - 1000 points
Mario Golf - 1000 points

I own them all apart from Mario RPG, Mario Golf and Mario Kart. :)

As Shadow*91 said, you would need a Wii Classic Controller ($25) to play any of the SNES or N64 games. You can also use a Gamecube controller but the button layout isn't ideal for SNES games.

Wii points can be bought in a store, a 2000 point card costs $20 - $25. You can also buy them directly from the Wii shop channel using a credit card.

I didn't realize it was all snes games. But why? Like harvest moon for example all you are doing is walking around and stuff. Can't you walk with the wii remote.

Back