Classic versus GC controller

MaxPower

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2007
Hi all, you have a nice place here with lots of great input.

I have a question, probably a silly one at that.
Which controller should I get; classic or GC?

I would like to play GC games as well as some of the old downloaded ones (Mario Kart etc). I read somewhere that the classice Wii controller doesn't work with GC games. Is that true?

Do the GC wireless controllers work with the Wii? I don't have a GC so I can't try it out myself.

Thanks in advance.

Okay I'm new to the forum but I've been asking about this everywhere just so I know for certain. From what I understand GC controllers can be used for all Nintendo Games and SOME Sega, Turbo Graf games. The classic can be used for all games. Personally I already have 3 GC controllers so I'm going to stick with that since I haven't heard any complaints regarding the use of them. And the best GC controller is the Wavebird according to most folks.

Im also very interested in what people think of the classic controllers. I dont own any game cube controllers, what am i better off purchasing?

It really depends on you to be honest. Like for me the Classic looks wierd and I just don't think I'd like the grip and handling of it. I've always loved the GC Controller and I can't imagine how I used the N64 controller at all...:scared: . So I'd recommend the GC Controller just because its more versatile IMO. But do not get cheap 3rd party ones if you do decide to get that. Instead get new ones or used official Nintendo GC controllers at places like EB Games.

I would recommend a WaveBird GC controller. It's wireless and it operates all of the GC games as well as all the VC games (to date). I love mine and being wireless makes it worth it...

The classic controller will not play Gamecube games so if you intend to play Gamecube games on your Wii then get a Gamecube controller which will play pretty much everything.

Great, thanks guys, I'll get a couple of the WaveBirds.

Don't have a game cube, but do the wired game cube controllers have the vibration feature? Do the wavebirds have vibration?

Wireless Wavebird controllers are possibly the greatest controllers ever, and even better that is so functional with the Wii and VC games. Choose it over the classic.

Wirebirds and the classic controller dont have the rumble feature. The wired gamecube controller has rumble though.

My GC controllers have rumble/vibration in them. I think thats standard in all of them but I'm not 100% sure. Just ask the guy when you buy one. I wish I had wireless...anyone have a picture of a Wavebird?

Here's the wavebird next to a regular gamecube controller. The Wavebird also has a receiver that plugs into one of the GC controller slots on the Wii.
100_1635.jpg

tophermike said:
I would recommend a WaveBird GC controller. It's wireless and it operates all of the GC games as well as all the VC games (to date). I love mine and being wireless makes it worth it...

I've been reading different people saying this and others saying it's not entirely accurate.

Does anybody have any reliable sources that can confirm or disprove this? Not that I don't trust you tophermike, I just keep finding conflicting statements the more I try to look into this.

The best way to know which controller works for what is to look at the icons used in the shopping channel. It shows exactly which controllers work for the game you've clicked on.

I only have Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda and the Wii controller works perfectly fine, though for a seasoned Nintendo player, the buttons and D-pad are noticeably smaller. In SMB I can use my Wii controller as player one and my GC controller as player two, works just fine.

You can use a GC controller for SNES games but I think it would feel less "right". The classic controller is nearly identical to the original SNES controller plus two analog sticks. I actually don't understand the design of the classic controller. Although it does replicate the original SNES controller, the N64 games are still left with nothing that properly replicates the original button layout. Then again, the Sega and TurboGrafix games aren't either.

As for the Wavebird, it's the only officially supported wireless GC controller that Nintendo says will work with all VC and GC games. If you care about wireless, I'd go with a Wavebird.

Back