Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Component HD AV Cable

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by cif, Apr 20, 2007.

1. cif

cif WiiChat Member

worth getting 1?

2. Buddyo

Buddyo WiiChat Member

For me I don't think they would be worth getting. Wii doesn't put out 720 so I really don't think the picture would be any better with the cables.

3. brcrane

brcrane WiiChat Member

I have my 360 plugged into my HD inputs, so I decided to pick up the S-Video componets for the Wii. They seem to give an improved picture and a "smoother look". So if you arent "hellbent" on the HD cables, I would say to give the S-Video a whirl.

4. snazzykewl

snazzykewl WiiChat Member

The Component HD cables make a HUGE difference in games like Zelda, SPM, Tiger Woods. You really wont see a noticable difference with games like Wii Sports or Wii Play. For the 20 Bucks, (10 Bucks on Ebay) the HD Component Cable has paid for itself in better visuals many times over.

5. AZ_Wii_Tard

AZ_Wii_Tard WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5976-8685-8380-4889
    5976-8685-8380-4889
    The HD component cable is the best cable to get 480P. The S video cable is the biggest waste of money. In many games you can see a really big difference. Well worth getting an HD component cable.

6. Conan the Librarian

REALLY? I had a long talk with the owner of my local mom and pop game store (Im sure he would be dying to sell me anything, you know?) and he was telling me they dont make a difference b/c wii is only 480i, but I will take a gamers word for it. This dude is kinda old.

SO YOU COULD REALLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE???? damn, thought i was done with my wiiccesories

7. AZ_Wii_Tard

5976-8685-8380-4889
    no the Wii is capable with 480P with a component cable if your TV supports it.

8. cif

cif WiiChat Member

excellent, now i just need to find 340 quid to get a good lcd. thanks

9. AZ_Wii_Tard

5976-8685-8380-4889
    340 quid?

Costco has some really good deals. By far some of the best. Do your research though so you get exactly what you want. Great LCD's out right now IMO are Sharp Aqaus, Sony Bravia, Vizio and Panasonic.

10. cif

cif WiiChat Member

11. AZ_Wii_Tard

5976-8685-8380-4889
    It's European so I am not familiar with some of the things they use. Sorry I can not Help you.

12. cif

cif WiiChat Member

damn :|

13. mk_south_london

mk_south_london !SUPERMOD! *blu mushroom*

Wii Friend Code: 7195-7874-4951-1917
    7195-7874-4951-1917
    480p was sick when i got it.
    In zelda, i had to replay the entire game in hd after completing it in normal just 2 admire the beauty of it

14. Mau

Mau WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8829-6844-1117-2743
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    its worth getting it. In Zelda makes a huge difference

15. Trippe2k

Trippe2k WiiChat Member

Watch this video link right below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umnBY8Eq_k

It shows the difference and its worth it in my opinion, I played Zelda about half way through and was sick of ( in game ) night time because everything was blurry and it was hard to see. once i got the cables not only was i able to see but i it was fun to play the game at ( in game) night time. It makes things off in the distance clearer and allows you to see whats what. Composite sends all the colors to your tv at once often blending them together or losing some definition in the process. Component send all three main colors seperately so the Tv knows better what colors go where. Its just a cleaner fuller image over all, and i often think games like Zelda were designed with the designers using component cables while testing, cause there really is that much of a difference for some games, in my opinion.

16. gamechaser001

gamechaser001 Wii Nerd

Wii Friend Code: 2291-3059-0957-1397
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Yes, it is worth it, but it does show the flaws in some games, well, not really flaws, but you can see that Nintendo cares more about gameplay than graphics

If you mean that each cable transmitts different colors (e.g. red cable transmitts red, green cable transmitts green, blue cable transmitts blue), you are incorrect, I forgot the exact data, but one cable transmitts the video (in black & white), and one transmitts negative something, and the last one transmitts positive or negitive something, that is why if you plug in one cable, either you get black & white video or you get a blank screen, if the cables were transmitting their corrosponding colors, if you were to plug in the blue cable, you would get a blue image on screen, if you were to plug in red, you would get a red image, but that dosen't happen though

17. Trippe2k

Trippe2k WiiChat Member

Your eyes can see only three colors—red, green, and blue. All of the other colors and shades of the spectrum you perceive are the result of your brain interpreting the mix of red, green, and blue signals coming from your eyes.

Therefore, since your eyes only see red, green, and blue, a video system needs to capture and reproduce only red, green, and blue, or RGB as it's called. The camera must capture RGB on the front end. That information must be delivered accurately to your television or projector which must display RGB. By varying the intensity of red, green, and blue, every color of the spectrum can be reproduced. Voila. Perfectly natural color on your screen.

Component video consists of three signals. The first is the luminance signal, which indicates brightness or black & white information that is contained in the original RGB signal. It is referred to as the "Y" component. The second and third signals are called "color difference" signals which indicate how much blue and red there is relative to luminance. The blue component is "B-Y" and the red component is "R-Y". The color difference signals are mathematical derivatives of the RGB signal.

sorry thats what i ment to say

read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

#17 Trippe2k, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  18. gamechaser001

gamechaser001 Wii Nerd

Wii Friend Code: 2291-3059-0957-1397
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    I read that link, yes, human eyes only see RGB, and yes, on some projectors, etc, the colors are separated in RGB, but like I explained, if it were RGB that were transmitted in the 3 cables, each one would only show it's corrosponding color, for example, blue labeled connection would only show the blue color, red only red, green only green, but if that were to be true, how come if only one cable is plugged in, only a black & white image shows up or no image shows up?, so it opviously can't have to do with each individual color

now what you are explaining is the primary colors RGB, that when mixed correctly, can make every color, and that is how CRT projectors work, and I believe that is how they got the color codes for componet, I think that is what they want you to think, but is not exactly true, you can try it out yourself if you wish, I wouldn't of figured it out myself if I weren't to mess around with the cables myself
    Sorry, just read this part, yes, that is what I was trying to explain, the word I was looking for was luminance, thanks

#18 gamechaser001, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  19. Trippe2k

Trippe2k WiiChat Member

Thats how it works, i was just explaining how humans can only see RGB, there used to be RGB cables that were the main usage and i mixed up my info with that the first time i posted. Please read what i write as a whole. I was explaining where i made the mistake and what the truth was. Thank you

20. David328ci

David328ci WiiChat Member

Depends on the games you play and the TV you have.