Component vs Composite cables

I'm going to buy component cables, the same day I'm going to get brawl.

TransAm317 said:
I Wouldnt saay that it is a scam, some cables that are 5$ are good enough for the average Joe but a MonsterCable is a professional grade quality. Ask any electronic expert.

Just look at the diametor of the Monstercable compared to the average one. It is much bigger and more fibers to pass info throught. Now Monstercable is fiberoptic which is the ultimate cable.

Bottom Line: "You get what you pay for"

http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups

On topic, I didn't even know about the component cables. 480i vs 480p on an HDTV doesn't even compare. I'm definitely getting some :D

*note didnt read all posts*

my parents recently bought a 52" Samsung LCD Flat Screen, 1080p. I went to a site and spent about a day to earn 8 bucks for the HD cables. I plugged em in and i don't think zelda supports the 480p because it looked... blockier almost. It looked better on normal mode. But on this video it says Super Smash does support the 480p. (at 5:19)

P.S.
If you want to actually sign up and get the free cables I suggest looking at this video and signing up at (website will not show PM its not the one in the vid you've prolly heard of it.)

If you want I can send you a pic of the cables I got just 2 days ago.

I still need to do a little research on screen resolution and component vs. composite cables, but I also noticed that when I use the component cables on my 46" Samsung TV that things appear really blocky. Especially the Mii's when I am on the Mii channel. They are super blocky.

My setup is component cables with the wii set to 480p. My tv resolution is 1080p, and I suspect it may have something to do with the TV up-sampling to the higher resolution. If I have more time this weekend I may try and do some testing on different screen resolutions and different cables. Hopefully I can get some screen captures or pictures of the differences.

I use RGB scart on a SDTV, and it's noticeably better than the cables supplied with the wii. Unfortunately I can only get 480i not 480p, but the picture quality is still improved a lot.

From PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,121777-page,1/article.html

Our conclusion: You don't need to spend a fortune on cables. The HDMI cables performed comparably in both our instrument tests and our visual tests. And with analog cables, the analyzer revealed some degree of variation in quality, but the variances did not translate into noticeable differences in our visual tests.

So anything under 12' and you're good to go with a regular cheap-o component cable. No need to get ripped off by Monster or anything!

Ah, the same old topic, yet again. Let's try to set things straight again:

S-Video > composite (by a fair amount)
Component > S-Video (by a little amount)
480p > 480i (by a huge amount)
The bigger the TV, the more-obvious the improvement.
480p requires component cables.
480p is not "high-def".

Thus: to really enjoy the benefits of component, you need to switch to 480p (progressive) instead of 480i (interlaced). It creates a much sharper, more-stable image. It does not increase the resolution (definition).

sremick said:
Ah, the same old topic, yet again. Let's try to set things straight again:

S-Video > composite (by a fair amount)
Component > S-Video (by a little amount)
480p > 480i (by a huge amount)
The bigger the TV, the more-obvious the improvement.
480p requires component cables.
480p is not "high-def".

Thus: to really enjoy the benefits of component, you need to switch to 480p (progressive) instead of 480i (interlaced). It creates a much sharper, more-stable image. It does not increase the resolution (definition).
/agree

Back