Component vs Composite cables

SantaClaws said:
it's not worth it man
Not worth it? It is a neccesity with any HD tv and if you dont belive me ask any person that knows something about tvs.
When you transfer your video feed from your cable box to your tv, you need a good cable. Also this goes for anything that you send to your Tv If you try and send HIgh Quality video through a cheap crappy cable you lose tremendous Quality.

I would pay a little more money an buy like a MonsterCable or a good reliable brand.The cables that the tv company give your are jsut cheap china junk.
They want give you the most inexpenxive product and charge you a fortune.

TransAm317 said:
Not worth it? It is a neccesity with any HD tv and if you dont belive me ask any person that knows something about tvs.
When you transfer your video feed from your cable box to your tv, you need a good cable. Also this goes for anything that you send to your Tv If you try and send HIgh Quality video through a cheap crappy cable you lose tremendous Quality.

I would pay a little more money an buy like a MonsterCable or a good reliable brand.The cables that the tv company give your are jsut cheap china junk.
They want give you the most inexpenxive product and charge you a fortune.

Brands mean nothing when it comes to cables. A $5 brand is generally just as good as a $50 brand. The "Monster" cable thing is just a scam.

Camaro said:
Brands mean nothing when it comes to cables. A $5 brand is generally just as good as a $50 brand. The "Monster" cable thing is just a scam.
I Wouldnt saay that it is a scam, some cables that are 5$ are good enough for the average Joe but a MonsterCable is a professional grade quality. Ask any electronic expert.

Just look at the diametor of the Monstercable compared to the average one. It is much bigger and more fibers to pass info throught. Now Monstercable is fiberoptic which is the ultimate cable.

Bottom Line: "You get what you pay for"

It's worth it if you have all the right things in all the right places

but 90% of the time it makes virtually no difference and the "better quality" you see is all in your head

and most pictures on a TV can be improved to be 20% better just by tweeking the brightness/contrast, sharpness, Gamma etc

I bought Nintendo component cables for my old-school tube TV (new enough to have component input but not progressive scan) and for my sister's new LCD HDTV (720p). The cable made a huge improvement to the picture on my tube TV. The picture was staggeringly less blurry. I was astonished. On my sister's LCD HDTV, however, the improvement was much less noticeable. And, yes, I switched her Wii from 480i to 480p.

Why the difference in the results? Well, I think her TV just looked better to begin with. It didn't look as awful with the original composite cable as my tube TV did. So the new component cable didn't help as much.

If you get HD cables will it make the picture less blurry when in motion? I have a 32in hdtv, when in motion (i guess you can say) its blurry, but when the picture is still its clear. For example when text is going across the screen its blurry, but when it stops its clear. anyone else have this prob?

Last edited:
deskilla said:
If you get HD cables will it make the picture less blurry when in motion?
No, that sounds like too much persistence (pixels don't change color fast enough). What technology is the TV? LCD? Plasma? Projection? I'm no expert at this stuff. I don't even own an HDTV yet. :) Hopefully an expert will speak up.

Kryten said:
No, that sounds like too much persistence (pixels don't change color fast enough). What technology is the TV? LCD? Plasma? Projection? I'm no expert at this stuff. I don't even own an HDTV yet. :) Hopefully an expert will speak up.

Its a LCD Dynex hdtv.The blurriness isn't really that bad, it could be it I'm just really use to xbox360 HD games.

deskilla said:
Its a LCD Dynex hdtv.The blurriness isn't really that bad, it could be it I'm just really use to xbox360 HD games.

The blurriness is most likely due to a not so good response time of your LCD. Or it could be something else...I'm only somewhat familiar with LCDs.

Regardless, anyone with component inputs on their HDTV should get component cables. It's only $15-30 and even a little increase in PQ is worth it :).

gnahc79 said:
The blurriness is most likely due to a not so good response time of your LCD. Or it could be something else...I'm only somewhat familiar with LCDs.

Regardless, anyone with component inputs on their HDTV should get component cables. It's only $15-30 and even a little increase in PQ is worth it :).

So heres the thing, I tried my wii on my dad's TV and there was no blurriness at all (I hooked it up through the VCR) and he has a 48in LCD hdtv. On my TV the wii was hooked up straight to the composite slots on the side of the TV, which its a little blurry on my TV. So i don't know if it was clear on my dad's TV because it was hooked through a VCR or if my TV is just crappy.

Around how much does some good quality component cables cost?

deskilla said:
I tried my wii on my dad's TV and there was no blurriness at all
My sister's TV is a 32" Sony LCD and it didn't have any persistence problems with either the composite or component cables (both directly connected to the back of the TV). In fact, the picture was so good with the composite cables that I felt a bit silly for having bought her the component cables. They made a slight improvement but nothing near as dramatic as the improvement the component cables made for my tube TV.

TransAm317 said:
I Wouldnt saay that it is a scam, some cables that are 5$ are good enough for the average Joe but a MonsterCable is a professional grade quality. Ask any electronic expert.

Just look at the diametor of the Monstercable compared to the average one. It is much bigger and more fibers to pass info throught. Now Monstercable is fiberoptic which is the ultimate cable.

Bottom Line: "You get what you pay for"
OFF TOPIC: Not at Wal-Mart :lol:

BACK ON TOPIC:
Depending on your HDTV, component cables can make a huge difference.
From what I've heard, they don't look so hot on LCD HDTV's, but I'm pretty sure they work great on most all other HDTV's.
I say go for it, but always for the cheaper one because it really doesn't make a difference in quality whether it's cheap or expensive.

So you think that Brawl will look better on my HDTV with component cables?

i will get a photo of mlb 2k8 on my tv with and without the cables and see if they make much of a difference,some people say the graphics are bad on it but i just wanna see if the graphics make a difference or not

Back