Connecting Wii to TV

WizKid

Raving Rabbit
Nov 13, 2006
Opelika, AL
Hi. I'm new here, and I'm confused. The TV that I have is here.

As you can see from the above page, my tv has front video inputs. However, one jack is for video, the other for audio. How to I connect it to the Wii?
As per the spec, the tip is always postive, and the ring can either be ground or negative. Apparently, the TV expects it a negative signal on the ring.

Last edited:
You would just use the standard RCA connectors... If your TV supports the new component connections (Which it doesn't) you could use the extra cable that is sold seperatly to have better picture quality.

But you will use the regular RCA connector.

Vince

Erm, one jack is for video, the other for audio.
I Think I would need an RCA Y-cable that routes the postive signal (the right channel) to the tip, and the negative signal (the left) to the ring.

However, I can't ssem to find any such cable. :ee5k:

Probably because manufacturers are unwilling to individually shield each wire, which would be required. This is because some crossing over of the cable would be inevitable. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the above. :)

(And no, my TV does not have any back panel connectors other than standard coax.)

@Yince00

If I would to you the RCA cables as-is, I would either:

a) Get no video.
b) only get left or right audiom (not both channels)

After all, the layout is like this:

V A
| |
O O

But with the Wii's supplied cables, it would be like:

V (R || L)
| |
O O

Last edited:
Ahh *looks at the link to your tv finally* you only have mono audio on that television, so you'd only be able to get mono sound. The only way to get stereo sound would be to replace the television. Now a days tv's are cheap to come by with many bells and whistles. That's the only drawback to your situation. Not a big one... you'll still be able to play the system.

Sorry I never noticed the MONO audio either <g>

You need a splitter to go from MONO to split for both audio channels is all... You will still only get MONO sound but you will get sound from both left and right channels that way.

Only way to get stereo sound is with a new tv.

Here is a picture :
9-A2520.jpg

Hope that helps, any electronics store like Radio Shack or something will carry that.

Vince

Last edited:
Vince00 said:
Sorry I never noticed the MONO audio either <g>

You need a splitter to go from MONO to split for both audio channels is all... You will still only get MONO sound but you will get sound from both left and right channels that way.

Only way to get stereo sound is with a new tv.

Here is a picture :
9-A2520.jpg

Hope that helps, any electronics store like Radio Shack or something will carry that.

Vince

So would it give an interpolated signal (via the TV's internal sampling) using Crux and/or RH, or would it give me the difference between the right and left channels?

Or if I wouldn't do interpolation, could I use an external box to perform such filtering (via the above (Crux/RH)?

Back