Connection Problems with Linksys

scottmcc8

WiiChat Member
Jan 4, 2008
I am having connection problems with my Wii to my Linksys WRT54G router. I can connect with no wireless security enabled on my router. When I use WEP encryption I cannot connect. I tried the following I upgraded the firmware, reset the router multiple times, reset the IPs, changed my IP range to 192.168.2.x, played around with every channel possible, and still no luck. Can anybody give me some advice as to why I cannot connect.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're not configuring both the Wii and the router with the same info. Also, I suggest WPA not WEP as WEP sucks for protection.

Things to change on the router.
Router Password: Change this from the default. Use upper/lower case, alpha/numeric and non-standard character/s (like $#@!)
SSID: Don't use the default. Set this so it's NOT broadcast.
WPA, TKIP, 8 character key (follow password rules).
Lastly, but option is MAC Address filtering. You'll have to find the MAC Address of the devices you want to connect to the router (I don't know the screen on the Wii off the top of my head, but it's obvious once you see it). The MAC address is in the format of 6 sets of hexadecimal numbers. Example: 00:1a:3c:af:d5:de

Once you have the router configured the way you want, you'll need to MANUALLY configure the Wii with matching info (SSID, WPA, TKIP, Key). Then it'll connect on it's own.

The only reason you should use WEP is if you have an old WiFi device which only allows for WEP (like the old DS's).

The most likely problem you're having is that you enabled encryption (WEP). When you do this, you need to manually configure the client (Wii, laptop, DS) with the key used by the router. My guess is that you didn't do that.

scottmcc8 said:
I am having connection problems with my Wii to my Linksys WRT54G router. I can connect with no wireless security enabled on my router. When I use WEP encryption I cannot connect. I tried the following I upgraded the firmware, reset the router multiple times, reset the IPs, changed my IP range to 192.168.2.x, played around with every channel possible, and still no luck. Can anybody give me some advice as to why I cannot connect.

Thanks!

go on the computer connected to the router....then go to the website routerlogin.net

password by default is password
screename by default is admin

then find the wep key....when the wii ask for wep key..enter that code and it should connect

Have you tried a different key and key length? The WRT54GS allows a longer key length than the Wii, by one alphanumeric character. I finally got WPA AES working with a slightly shorter key. I've been using WEP for a while now :p. For me security is fairly important since I'm in an apt complex in the silicon valley...crazy code monkeys all around!

Last edited:
driftking2 said:
go on the computer connected to the router....then go to the website routerlogin.net

password by default is password
screename by default is admin

then find the wep key....when the wii ask for wep key..enter that code and it should connect

?? That site is for Netgear devices, not Linksys.

LiquidD said:
Just turn of security. Really, what are you trying to protect? There is no point in that damn security.

Yeah...

I suppose I'd rather not have strangers mooching my bandwidth, slowing everything down for me. And that's the least of the worries.

You really shouldn't spout crap you know little about.

Atomheart said:
Yeah...

I suppose I'd rather not have strangers mooching my bandwidth, slowing everything down for me. And that's the least of the worries.

You really shouldn't spout crap you know little about.
You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the
Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.

LiquidD said:
You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the
Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.

Ummm...apparently you've never lived in an apartment. If you don't secure your network, everybody in the building will be mooching off of you. I know--we used to do it when we didn't have internet.

And do you even understand the concept of bandwidth? Online games use A LOT of bandwidth--more than anything else. If others are mooching, they're stealing bandwidth you need to play the game, thus causing a great deal of lag.

Duh.

LiquidD said:
You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.

Anyone who finds your open connection. I teach at a local High School and you wouldn't believe the number of kids I have heard say they use their neighbor's WiFi to download music/movies/games from the net. They'd rather screw someone else than get caught when their parents get arrested/sued,

In the US there are two laws affecting WiFi connections. 1. The host is legally responsible for any and all activity. 2. It is illegal to use a WiFi connection without authorized consent from the owner.

I just hope your parents don't end up getting a letter from their local DA and RIAA because you were too naive to lock it down.

I dont have have security on mines. But not because I dont want it, but when I set it up, I cant get my wireless connection to work :p Then again I never really tried to figure it out, I probably could but since the chances of someone stealing my connection is very very low I dont bother. Besides I have command prompt open so if someone is using my network who doesnt live in my house I can see the ping start to rise which will give me suspicion, but its never happened. I could steal my neighbors if I wanted to, but its waay to slow to be worth it, especially when I have my own.

LiquidD said:
You know, I really suck at explaining things, so just look at this article:
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110
this guy says what i want to say to you guys but am not good enough to explain it to you douches.

Just because one douche decides to leave his network open (despite an admitted list of reasons to actually secure it), it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's entirely contrary to common sense.

Nice try, kid.

Atomheart said:
Just because one douche decides to leave his network open (despite an admitted list of reasons to actually secure it), it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's entirely contrary to common sense.

Nice try, kid.
ur a complete moron. do you really think that someone is going to sit in front of your house to steal ur information and download free music. hell, i admit that i download free music and i dont give who knows it. besides, i dont know if you know, but people are finding ways to crack you wep key and from what i hear, its easy.

Back