Connection Problems with Linksys

Drop it already, you're waaaay off topic and out of your league. Especially if you're not familiar with networks & security, e.g. cracking WEP and emulating TCP/IP...that was a fun undergrad assignment.

Wow, I just love being called a moron (by inclusion that I'm one of "those" people who feel everyone should secure their WiFi).

Professionally speaking, since this stuff is part of my profession and I deal with it every day from a home level to enterprise level I feel I have earned the right to point out how foolish anyone is who thinks they don't need to secure their WiFi.

1. People DO sit in front of homes/businesses to get free internet access. Those people are usually doing something illegal (estimations are upwards of %78). YOU are legally responsible for ALL activity on your Internet connection. If you leave the WiFi unprotected, you are STILL liable.

2. RE: Command prompt. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Please tell me you are. Your ping will not significantly increase if most people are piggy-backing on your WiFi. I have to guess that you're not running a continuous ping and dumping to to a file so that you can review the history. If not, then you have no idea what's being done when you aren't pinging AND watchin the command window.

3. It's more likely that it's not someone parked outside who's stealing your WiFi, but one of your neighbors. Especially in the suburbs. Inner City locations are more likely to have "travelling" piggy-backers and they're not as obvious.

I must admit that LiquidD you don't know what you're talking about. I remember when I was in school, we designed a computer program that used multiple unsecure networks to speed up your internet (even had the general thesis to sell the extra bandwidth available). One of my room mates never secured is network, and I used to screw with it all the time. Locking out specific MAC addresses, periodically rebooting the router, change the login password, etc.

Basically if you live in the city, secure your network. I lived in an appartment for a year and never payed for internet once, there were 2 different wireless routers available to me.

To the OP, have you entered all the WEP or WPA key? Do you broadcast your SSID? If no, did you manually enter it correctly into the Wii? Have you set your routers firewall up to allow the Wii to access the internet correctly?

Back