Dead Wii

captaincasualty

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Awesome! Got my new Wii, the new revolutionary product from Nindento, it's very small, and looks awesome. First thing, when I plugged it in, I saw the new menu screen... I'm a little confused, but new things can be strange. Looks nice huh?

MYWIIGAMES.jpg

Think maybe I need to check the manual on how to run the new... buttons? but thought I'd try a game. Here's Call of Duty 3!

MYWIIGAMES.jpg

and here's Legend of Zelda!

MYWIIGAMES.jpg

Still, I must not be using the new fangled controls correctly, as I can't seem to get the buttons, or game to show up on the screen...

In all seriousness, has anyone else had this problem? The screen is trashed and the audio just buzzes no matter what I put in. I cannot explain the utter despair I felt at 1 am this morning after waiting for 12 hours to experience this game...

-clinically depressed.

It sounds more to me like it's just not properly plugged in. Sorry if this sounds underpar or whatever...

But I had something, I guess, similar to an older console I have. And the only problem was that even though the Audio and Video cables were connected to the TV, the other end of the cable on the back of the console was like, 1mm out of it's slot, maybe less. Just try to lodge the AV cables etc in as securely as possible then reset the console.

Again sorry if this sounds primitive, but othe than that all I can suggest is calling up Nintendo's customer services when the lines are hopefully available.

i dont know why people are having problems. i got my preorder last nite and was error or hassle free. um only thing i can suggest is have nintendo take care of it

Are your Jacks Jacked?

Check all of your A/V jacks make sure they are in the right spot. Having the video connected to the white audio in, and the audio in the video jack could cause similar results.

Maybe try the cables one at a time. Start with the Yellow video connector and plug it in by itself. If you get nothing on your screen, try the other two (red and white) in that video in port and see if you get a picture. If the picture doesnt show up in a few seconds remove the cable and try the next one. Dont leave it impropperly connected for an extended period as it is possible to damage your tv, even tho unlikly.

I know this sounds obvious, but it may just be that you have a bad A/V cable, and I in no way mean to degrade your inteligence. Ive been guilty of making that mistake myself.

Goodluck

P.S. if you try everything and cant get it to work, contact the store you purchased it from and ask them if they will hold the next one the receive for your DOA exchange.

Last edited:
Why are so many people having problems with there wii's. Just read the manual. Mine works perfectly

Zori said:
Why are so many people having problems with there wii's. Just read the manual. Mine works perfectly

I hate to say this guys, but if you don't have anything constructive to say don't say it at all. This person does not want to hear how everyone else is having a blast playing their games. They want help.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh, but I know I would not want to be reading you guys gloating if I was in their situation.

captaincasualty: did you get this worked out?

Honestly guys - just because yours works... dosen't mean there all going to.

Try calling Nintendo. I mean, that's really the only advice I can give you.

Zori said:

Sometimes there are defective systems, it's a common thing at a console's launch. And then sometimes it's just user error.

Just because yours works doesn't mean that everyone elses is going to work properly.

Anyways, as others suggested check your cables and then call Nintendo. That's about all you can do I guess.

Um, yah, I thought to unplug/replug everything in, check connections, tried different TV, VCR input, Jacks on my receiver, no difference.

Wanting to try a different cable, but no one seems to have any in stock right now.

On the bright side, when I called Nintendo, they said that while it does look like a hardware defect, they would advance ship me one (!!). Not very many companies will do that, ship one before you ship yours to them.

Also, they waived the shipping and handling fee ($5) and upgraded the shipping so I would get it (hopefully) before I go on vacation for Thanksgiving.

Yes, I did expect non-constructive posts. Was just more curious if anyone had the *same* problem and was able to resolve it, by way of cables, kicking it, whatever.

Will try again to find cables this evening to see if it is the cable, that would be AWESOME.

-captaincasualty

registerednerd said:
That looks like you plugged an NTSC Wii into a PAL TV, or vice versa.

i agree with registerednerd
i once played an NTSC dvd on my PAL dvd / TV and i got very similar image on my screen

See that gray block? Plug it into the outlet, then plug the AV cords into the television. Now you'll see some black plugs, plug it in back of the Wii, according to it's size. It should only take you 3 minutes tops to fix it up, if not, just refer to the manual. Also, do you have your sensor bar out?

Kamakaze < useless

Not Kamakize? skip down a bit.

OK, that's just a waste of packets. Why respond with that?

The picture posted OBVIOUSLY REQUIRED POWER.

The sensor bar ONLY HELPS INPUT, NOT VIDEO.

The video sshot I posted also is obviously not a composite/audio plugged into the wrong location, since it shows vertical striations of digital trash. Audio would look much more random.

That has to be the least helpful (baiting?) post I've seen in a while.

UPDATE:
Nintendo said it was a video chip problem and advance shipped me a new one.

I called on Sunday, they shipped it on Monday, I received it on Tuesday. Total thumbs up from me on their support, vendors usually treat me like Kamakaze here, but these guys were totally cool.

-Capn

Back