Did u guys already know that the Wii has the PhysX engine like PS3?

Wildside

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
reason i ask this is because i was browsing through Wikipedia.org n i found this statement about the upcoming game 'Sonic and the Secret Rings' that it will use the PhysX engine, made from AGEIA.

i didnt even know Wii even supported it, did u guys know that?

heres the link about the game, statement is at bottom of the article under 'Physics engine':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings

Fullmetal said:
I thought physX was really expensive?

yeah 200$ or more for a pc card for it....plus video card.

i dont' think its the case in the Wii. i think the game for the PS3 may use the Physx card...but a game that USES Physx's does not NEED Physx's to work.

Alot of games for the PC work with Physx's, but if you don't have the card, you can still play the game.

SOOOOOOOOO....don't expect it, the graphics on the Wii just isn't that great. we all know this (if you have a ps3 or xbox360) nothing againts the wii. i love it

just there's no Physx man.

From Wikipedia:

"PhysX can refer either to a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK developed by AGEIA (formerly known as the NovodeX SDK) or their PPU expansion card designed to accelerate that SDK."

See: "proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK".

You'd have to be insane to think that the Wii has the PhysX PPU expansion card, that costs about as much AS the Wii!

MaXiMiUS said:
From Wikipedia:

"PhysX can refer either to a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK developed by AGEIA (formerly known as the NovodeX SDK) or their PPU expansion card designed to accelerate that SDK."

See: "proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK".

You'd have to be insane to think that the Wii has the PhysX PPU expansion card, that costs about as much AS the Wii!

well wikipedia.org says it will use it, i trust the site:

" Physics Engine

It has been confirmed that Sonic and the Secret Rings will use the Ageia PhysX engine. "

Well i dont think that the wii has such an expensive part, but its not that it costs 200$. Cause retail prices have nothing to do with console included ones, cause its all about mass production. For example, if AGEIA'S card has a retail price of 200-300, a console manufacturer would buy many many pieces which would lead to a price drop of 100-150 maybe even less

I wonder if they have coded a software version of the PhysX engine for some games. Granted, it wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as dedicated hardware, but it would be a lot simpler for games developers to write games for non-physx platforms than writing their own physics routines.

I wrote a few basic games a while back and I used a 3rd party addon pack called Newton to handle the physics. You have to tell it a lot about 3D object properties so it knows how they should act, but it's so much easier to do that than write a complete custom physics engine for the game.

I also hear that some of the newer PC graphics cards (DX10) will have Physx processors on board, that saves having a PhysX and a Graphics card.

its a physics "software" engine, the PhysX card is just a specialty CPU with hardware and firmware and mostly software to prossese better physics then before, the wii has to AGEIA PhysX PPU, but AGEIA software for physx is possible, but probably wont happen, the wii isent strong enough to handle all that stuff, its just a rumor, calm down..

The "engine" is on the game. Kind of like how Valve created a new graphics engine for rag doll effects for Half-Life 2. And how alot of Ubisoft game for the wii use the Unreal Tournament engine.

Back