Disrespect towards female gamers

shiz

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2007
I just finished reading this article that talks about how social norms are basically thrown out the window when it comes to people of the opposite sex interacting in MMO's. Of course social norms are not going to be the same since interaction is over the computer, but why do you guys think that it has gone to such an extreme that a lot of interaction is flat out disrespectful. The article talks about World of Warcraft specifically, but could also be applied to any other MMO or even online game for that matter. Here is the source:

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Girls_Gone_WoW_The_New_Battle_of_the_Sexes/

Bah, my sister plays online games by blizzard like Diablo 2 (Just like WoW)
She is swearing at them and pissing off kids that are like 20 or so years old and shes 14.:lol:

Interesting article - I would've taken a stab at some possible answers +but+ the article pretty much covers every theory!

People on the internet aren't real. There is no freaking way they'd act the way they do in actual society. That's because they feel invincible behind that mask they call the internets!

If they acted half as [STRIKE]stupid[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]moronic[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]like a freaking idiot[/STRIKE] 'rude' as they do on the nets, it'd be like saying,

"Why yes, I'm shallow!"

Minus one point for humanity... =.='`
This just supports my thinking that people are stupid by nature.

The article sums up pretty much what I thought. With the anonymity of the internet, people who might be fairly decent in the real world can and sometimes will act like immature jerks online, especially if they're the type who don't normally talk to women.

It's funny. I really don't care what people say.. Well, actually.. I was playing Counter Strike Source yesterday.. hahah.. This dude was like "oh, you're not a girl, you're a guy".. and then he's all like "Talk on your mic, "Steph". I was all like "uh, how bout no? Seriously. You're so immature. Get a life. Please." I wasn't trying to be mean. But, saying that.. pft. Like, even my REAL friends that I play CounterStrike, they do that to me as well. "OMG, Steph. You're not a girl". I'm like "Oh please". Lol.. and the next day at school I'm all mad at them. They're like "Aww. I didn't mean to make you mad". Blah Blah Blah. Lol. OHHHH, and same with World of Warcraft. Lol, I was playing that.. and this guy name "Codyy" he's like "I've never really seen a girl playing WoW before". I'm like "oh, that's weird". I didn't join because my "boyfriend" play. I don't even have a boyfriend (and not planning to until I'm 18). I don't play because my friend plays. I actually joined because I thought WoW was stupid, until I saw my sister's boyfriend play. It was interesting! Okay, this is getting really long. But yeah. All I say is.. "okay, you need to deal with it. We're videogamers".. and it's true. I have more guy friends than girl friends. :)

HAD to get that over with.

EDIT - I just read the uh.. article, and added more stuff to say. Lol. Ick, alliances.
Let’s face it; as soon as a girl enters the World of Warcraft scene there are guys jumping to get her attention.

That's wrong. I see that more into CounterStrike, than WoW.
[strike]Limes on, time to play CS. See yah![/strike]

Last edited:
WiiWouldLike2Play said:
It's funny. I really don't care what people say.. Well, actually.. I was playing Counter Strike Source yesterday.. hahah.. This dude was like "oh, you're not a girl, you're a guy".. and then he's all like "Talk on your mic, "Steph". I was all like "uh, how bout no? Seriously. You're so immature. Get a life. Please." I wasn't trying to be mean. But, saying that.. pft. Like, even my REAL friends that I play CounterStrike, they do that to me as well. "OMG, Steph. You're not a girl". I'm like "Oh please". Lol.. and the next day at school I'm all mad at them. They're like "Aww. I didn't mean to make you mad". Blah Blah Blah. Lol. OHHHH, and same with World of Warcraft. Lol, I was playing that.. and this guy name "Codyy" he's like "I've never really seen a girl playing WoW before". I'm like "oh, that's weird". I didn't join because my "boyfriend" play. I don't even have a boyfriend (and not planning to until I'm 18). I don't play because my friend plays. I actually joined because I thought WoW was stupid, until I saw my sister's boyfriend play. It was interesting! Okay, this is getting really long. But yeah. All I say is.. "okay, you need to deal with it. We're videogamers".. and it's true. I have more guy friends than girl friends. :)

HAD to get that over with.

EDIT - I just read the uh.. article, and added more stuff to say. Lol. Ick, alliances.

That's wrong. I see that more into CounterStrike, than WoW.
[strike]Limes on, time to play CS. See yah![/strike]

I play Wolf: Enemy territory myself. :lol:

Back