Perfect Scores on Imperfect Games

shiz

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2007
This is a topic that has been bothering me for quite some time and I just read an article at Gamealmighty.com about the same thing so i figured i'd express how i feel also.

I understand the need for certain people to fall into this arbitrary scoring system based on opinions to decide whether or not they like a game. It's bad enough that people take these numbers so seriously instead of just caring about their own opinion. As if the lower average on metacritic or gamerankings will somehow make them like the game less. It's also bad enough that some sites use completely different scales, but somehow they are thrown into the same average. For example, 1up has stated that they consider an average game on their scale to be 5/10, on the other hand, IGN, for example, considers an average game to be about 7/10. So how these two
scores could be averaged together even though the reviewers have the same opinion of the game is beyond me.

Anyways, onto my real rant. There seems to have been a recent trend of perfect scores on some of the big review
sites.

per·fect [adj., n. pur-fikt] entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings; accurate, exact, or correct in every detail

Although I admit that there are some very good, enjoyable games out there... there is no way that any of them are flawless, or perfect. No matter how good the game is, there is no way review sites should be giving perfect scores. There is ALWAYS at least one bad thing you can say about a game, and no matter how much the good overshadows the bad, its not perfect. You, as a gamer, might give your own favorite game a perfect score (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but the review sites should be writing about these games with little or no personal opinion. Instead, we see sites that label games such as SMG, bioshock, Halo 3, and others as PERFECT.

By no means am I saying that these are bad games, but are they really PERFECT??

Perhaps as the gaming industry is growing, we will see less and less true opinion from the major sites and more and more marketing propaganda. I wonder how many sites that give perfect scores are paid by the publishers?

What do you guys think? read this and let me know if i'm crazy or not.

http://www.gamealmighty.com/l/story-individual/story/Nothing_is_Perfect/

Back