do i need arouter?

pwk11

WiiChat Member
Jan 20, 2008
I am connecting my wii with a airlink1o1 directly to my comcast Arliss modem. will not work. Do i need a router? thx

okay im just describing the situation here so no one wastes time asking questions. i have a wire iinternet connection upstairs on my regular computer. nothing in the basement with the wii. what do i need to play wireless wii?

X@vier said:
what's an airlink101? router, wireless cart, antenna?

~X

As the others have said, what kind of connection are you trying to make, please be more specific... this USB to Ethernet works perfectly with the Wii Console, if you are going wired that is.

1) A wireless router

and

2a) Time and effort to read the manual and learn to set it up

or

2b) A friend or family member who is technically-adept

or

2c) Money to hire someone to set it up for you

It is not "plug and play". You will need some skills to configure things and make it work.

sremick said:
1) A wireless router

and

2a) Time and effort to read the manual and learn to set it up

or

2b) A friend or family member who is technically-adept

or

2c) Money to hire someone to set it up for you

It is not "plug and play". You will need some skills to configure things and make it work.

Networking ain't easy :p, you could say this isn't a half-a** slap things together DIY

i am very smart with computers and definately know what i am doing but i am not familiar with wireless internet although i am positive i can figure it out. with that item you gave a link to, do i just plug it into the USB on the wii and then it works? also how much do wireless routers cost?

kdewey21 said:
i am very smart with computers and definately know what i am doing but i am not familiar with wireless internet although i am positive i can figure it out. with that item you gave a link to, do i just plug it into the USB on the wii and then it works? also how much do wireless routers cost?

The USB Lan Adapter, yep I use it you plug it in the back, wait a second, the power light will come on, for the adapter, then plug a live Ethernet cable into it and LAN lights up. All you have to do is go into wii settings now and tell it you want the "wired" connection option, all thats left is to just enter your network information unless you use DHCP :)

I gave all that info in another post and noone answered. So I asked a simpler question. I will repeat my initial post..
I am connecting from my wii to an airlink101 usb lan connector,and connecting directly to an arliss modem model nunberTM502G. I am using cable 6 ethernet cable. Cable 5 didnt work either. I was asking this question because I thought it had to due with DHCP. And that I may not be able to connect directly
Both lights on the lan adapter light{one blinks the other doesnt}. And it will not connect. thx

Last edited:
If you're connecting directly to the modem then you most likely have to use DHCP. I assume you've tried rebooting the modem (unplugging power, wait a minute, plug it back in) while its connected to the wii USB adapter?

I would really think about getting a router instead of connecting to the modem, if only for convenience (so you don't have to unplug it and plug it back in to your computer to use the internet) and protection (from the router's built in firewall).

Thank you for your reply. I may try the router,I would just rather not use one unless I have to. Setting them up for online games ect has proven problematic. Maxing out router bandwidth and the router disconnects and I lose games,ect.
I am pretty sure I did the unplug thing . I will try again. Paul

pwk11 said:
Maxing out router bandwidth
Never heard of such a thing. A router is going support 100Mbit internal LAN connections. Are you telling me you have a 100+Mbit connection to the internet ?

I would say the vast majority of PC gamers online do use routers, so you should be fine...

Back