Do I Stand A Chance at Launch?

GreyKirby

Fo-Weva Pink!
Sep 18, 2006
In The Real World
Hey guys, I was wondering. As launch gets closer. 2 Days left...
I am going to get to the mall 1-2 hours after opening[Or after launch -_-]
Anywho i have around 7 choices in stores, Note that i live in Canada, Ontario in the Southern part where its stuper popular, I think its the most popular place in Ontario at this moment.
Anywho Here are the stores. I have no idea how many units they are getting each but they are all in a single mall other then the last two...
Toys R Us
Walmart
Bestbuy, Biggest in the hole mall
EBgames
Sears
EBgames
Costco
Loblaws[Canadian]
Now do i stand a chance of getting one on launch if i check all these stores 1-2 hours after launch and 3-4 hours after launch for bestbuy...?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say you have a decent chance. I'd check all the stores in the mall then hit up Costco, most people won't look there, so you probably have a better chance there than anywhere else TBH.

Kirby64 said:
Yeah, I'd say you have a decent chance. I'd check all the stores in the mall then hit up Costco, most people won't look there, so you probably have a better chance there than anywhere else TBH.
Oki. I forgot to mention EBgames cause when i asked them they said they wouldn't have any extra units at launch...

Don't even bother with EBgames, cause, as they said, they won't have anything besides preorders.

Interesting statement by a store manager I spoke to at length about the WII concerning Nintendo's strategy this fall, etc: (keep in mind, it's hearsay)

Nintendo's strategy at launch was to give stores enough units so they could take SOME pre-orders, but not completely deplete in stock inventory. Instead, Nintendo wants to come on STRONG immediately following the WII launch and work hard to keep physical stock in every major retailer through the end of the year and into the first quarter. Why, may you ask, would they do this? According to him it was to capture the frustrated seekers of PS3s and get an impulse buy. He said it was absolutely no coincidence that Nintendo is launching 2 days following Sony's PS3 and said Nintendo has done this before. (2 days after other majors) Two wins with that strategy: a)a Wii gets sold and b)sony loses a potential customer until such time as the Wii purchaser decides to look for another console.

Personally, sounds like BS, but who knows. It's all conjecture at this point.

kenn said:
Interesting statement by a store manager I spoke to at length about the WII concerning Nintendo's strategy this fall, etc: (keep in mind, it's hearsay)

Nintendo's strategy at launch was to give stores enough units so they could take SOME pre-orders, but not completely deplete in stock inventory. Instead, Nintendo wants to come on STRONG immediately following the WII launch and work hard to keep physical stock in every major retailer through the end of the year and into the first quarter. Why, may you ask, would they do this? According to him it was to capture the frustrated seekers of PS3s and get an impulse buy. He said it was absolutely no coincidence that Nintendo is launching 2 days following Sony's PS3 and said Nintendo has done this before. (2 days after other majors) Two wins with that strategy: a)a Wii gets sold and b)sony loses a potential customer until such time as the Wii purchaser decides to look for another console.

Personally, sounds like BS, but who knows. It's all conjecture at this point.
He told you all that... Well thanks guys , Im going to TRY at least [today feels like friday but isn't :(] to snatch a wii... Is this alright if i start with the following store :
-Bestbuy then TRU then Walmart then Sears Then Loblaws Then Costco then EBGames

Don't leave out Target. From what I've seen, they are going to be at the top of the list when it comes to numbers of units per store. Also keep in mind that you may have a better chance at costco and sams if you have membership cards there.

I agree on EB and Gamestop as last resorts. I buy/sell a bunch of used games from 3 different stores and they have all said they have NOTHING committed by Nintendo beyond their allocation for pre-sell.

kenn said:
Don't leave out Target. From what I've seen, they are going to be at the top of the list when it comes to numbers of units per store. Also keep in mind that you may have a better chance at costco and sams if you have membership cards there.

I agree on EB and Gamestop as last resorts. I buy/sell a bunch of used games from 3 different stores and they have all said they have NOTHING committed by Nintendo beyond their allocation for pre-sell.
No Targets in canada :( If you find a target site for canadians Pm me ASAP

Hello all... I'm a newcomer to these boards... I have been spending most of my time on the PS3 boards...

Anyway back to my point.... Am i missing something here... I didn't get a pre order... but I thought that there were enough of wii's being shipped to stores that If I get there and hour or two from store opening... but some of these threads are giving off the impression that there is going to be some serious camping like ps3???

I'm in Union County NJ.. there are a bunch targets wallmarts, malls, best buy, CC's

Chris Lambert's Nintendo Wii Locator

i'm in 07202 & there alot of results with 50 + wii's at each store???

r1000 said:
Hello all... I'm a newcomer to these boards... I have been spending most of my time on the PS3 boards...

Anyway back to my point.... Am i missing something here... I didn't get a pre order... but I thought that there were enough of wii's being shipped to stores that If I get there and hour or two from store opening... but some of these threads are giving off the impression that there is going to be some serious camping like ps3???

I'm in Union County NJ.. there are a bunch targets wallmarts, malls, best buy, CC's

Chris Lambert's Nintendo Wii Locator

i'm in 07202 & there alot of results with 50 + wii's at each store???
Yea there will be alot of Serious camping going on but not as bad as the PS3 , People started on that 3 weeks ago!
Wii has just started but very little people have started...
And most people who are worried are just worried to get one on LAUNCH but i doubt that you won't be able to find one by the end of the year or by the end of Next year :)
Im just kind of worried myself because i live in a stuper populated city[STUPER :D] and that if i arrive around 1-4 hours later after opening that would i stand a chance? Now Usualy when we go shopping we get to the mall at 8am -_- but we shop on saturdays, Hopefully my parents will do the same and let me get to the mall at 8am but i only compromised her for 10am +

Back