does the Wii have regional restrictions?

rafbloke

WiiChat Member
Jan 10, 2008
hi all, first post, looks like a great forum, just got a Wii for the family, and we are already internet connected and loving it, we have a PAL/British Wii, and am off to the USA in two weeks, if I buy a game over there will it work on my PAL Wii or do we have the usual regional compatability problems?

many thanks

rafbloke said:
if I buy a game over there will it work on my PAL Wii

no

rafbloke said:
do we have the usual regional compatability problems?

yes

both answers could have been found with a search... but i'm actually not bothered by this one since a google search would've gotten you mixed answers depending on how old the link you clicked is, since for a while nintendo said that Wii would not be region locked, then they changed their mind and region locked it. and i'm not sure if it mentions that in the manual or not. you still could've found the answer fairly easily though.

kyle

does this mean that when MoHH2 comes out in the UK people in the US will not be able to play people in the UK?

thanx folks, as has been stated confusing is not the word, i have asked many people and searched many webpages and the answers have been 50-50, so where is the best place to find out, well here off course

thanks again, guess i will be paying over the odds for my Wii games, but then whats new in the UK

:mad5:

Phillysoul said:
does this mean that when MoHH2 comes out in the UK people in the US will not be able to play people in the UK?
I'm almost positive you can link up with anyone world wide despite region.

Marty said:
I'm almost positive you can link up with anyone world wide despite region.

i thought so too for MOH:H2, some games like Mario Strikers: Charged though you can only play against people from your own region

Phillysoul said:

Well region locked DVD's won't affect online multiplayer ability, that is up to the game publisher. Since MoHH2 is an EA title, I doubt they have region locked online.

largedarry said:
Well region locked DVD's won't affect online multiplayer ability, that is up to the game publisher. Since MoHH2 is an EA title, I doubt they have region locked online.
Awesome! thanks for answering my question everyone :)

Back