dont wii for a wii

I will chime in here. While I do think its unfortunate that the lady died and left those 3 kids without a mom, I don't know if it I agree that it was totally the fault of the radio station. She was the one that wanted the Wii (or even more so her 3 kids). She was the one that signed-up to do this publicity stunt. She was the one that drank as much water as she did (they said about 2 gallons). She was not forced to drink anymore water than she chose to drink. Here is an example (albeit a stupid one): I was drunk bowling one night. After leaving the lanes, my friend told me to do a burnout in the parking lot. I have a supercharged Scion tC. Under the infuence, I agreed to it. I floored it and the end result was I hopped a curb and destroyed my brand new freshly painted bumper and one of my expensive 18" wheels. Can I blame my friend for telling/daring me to do it? No, it was my own stupidity and poor judgement that caused that to happen. Yes its true that if he had never told me to, it would have never happened, but if I took it to court, I wouldn't get jack. I'm not trying to compare my car getting damaged to a woman dying, but the point is, she did everything uder her own will. Like I said before, it is truly unfortunate that it ended the way it did, but I still don't think the radio station should be held accountable

Wii-bert said:
I will chime in here. While I do think its unfortunate that the lady died and left those 3 kids without a mom, I don't know if it I agree that it was totally the fault of the radio station. She was the one that wanted the Wii (or even more so her 3 kids). She was the one that signed-up to do this publicity stunt. She was the one that drank as much water as she did (they said about 2 gallons). She was not forced to drink anymore water than she chose to drink. Here is an example (albeit a stupid one): I was drunk bowling one night. After leaving the lanes, my friend told me to do a burnout in the parking lot. I have a supercharged Scion tC. Under the infuence, I agreed to it. I floored it and the end result was I hopped a curb and destroyed my brand new freshly painted bumper and one of my expensive 18" wheels. Can I blame my friend for telling/daring me to do it? No, it was my own stupidity and poor judgement that caused that to happen. Yes its true that if he had never told me to, it would have never happened, but if I took it to court, I wouldn't get jack. I'm not trying to compare my car getting damaged to a woman dying, but the point is, she did everything uder her own will. Like I said before, it is truly unfortunate that it ended the way it did, but I still don't think the radio station should be held accountable

But you KNEW that driving while intoxicated could have that result. How many of us here knew before this that drinking 2 gallons of water could kill you? Do you think that she knew that? If she was told that and STILL did the stunt, then yeah, it was a stupid thing to do.

Wii-bert said:
I will chime in here.

Wii-bert - not going to quote your whole post but comparing your friend daring you to do something illegal (drink drive and burnout) and entering a radio station contest are very different.

I would have at least thought the radio station would have done their homework, found out the dangers, and then prepared for worst case (have an EMT handy).

I'm also guessing that most contestants would also think that if a radio station is sponsering something like this, that it is probably safe (they too should have done their homework).

I have no clue who should be held responsible - the fact the the radio station fired 10 of their employee's makes me think they they too felt someone didn't do what they were supposed to do.

People tend to believe those in positions of authority. Even though they were only DJs, I'm sure the fact that this was a contest held by DJs that they felt comfortable with by listening to them on-air and the fact that this was on on-the-air contest led them to believe that no real danger was involved. These days you have to sign releases for everything and they probably trusted that the radio station would not put their lives in jeopardy on the air. The DJs were running this, were told that someone could die, and blew off the possible repercussions because they obviously did not really believe anything bad could happen.

What would happen if radio stations routinely held contests that involved highly dangerous challenges where most people had not heard of the risk? Would that be un-ethical or wrong or just the fault of all the people that would eagerly want to try?

Kristi1696 said:
But you KNEW that driving while intoxicated could have that result. How many of us here knew before this that drinking 2 gallons of water could kill you? Do you think that she knew that? If she was told that and STILL did the stunt, then yeah, it was a stupid thing to do.
anyway, I knew it was a stupid example but you all missed the point. I wasn't arguing the legality of drinking and driving. Most of you in here don't know the facts.

1. People including RNs called in the station telling the hosts and contestants what could possibly happen when you drink too much water (including death). While the radio station did not inform her of possible consequnces, she was still informed. Did she stop drinking water after she heard the possible health risks? No, she just kept on chugging because she just HAD to have that Wii.

2. If YOU were going to participate in this contest, wouldn't YOU do some research of your own? possibly find out what COULD happen if you drink too much aqua? I know I would. She was just as negligent as the radio station.

3. The lady died in her own home much later. She called the radio station telling them she had a headache (I don't know why).

rwhit_2007 said:
I have no clue who should be held responsible - the fact the the radio station fired 10 of their employee's makes me think they they too felt someone didn't do what they were supposed to do.
I think they were fired because if they weren't, there would be even more of a shitstorm for the radio station. I think they fired them to prevent a media nightmare more than because they felt responsible. People should have the common sense to know that ANYTHING in excess can kill you. I guess a Wii is more important than your health

Last edited:
NjD00 said:
What would happen if radio stations routinely held contests that involved highly dangerous challenges where most people had not heard of the risk? Would that be un-ethical or wrong or just the fault of all the people that would eagerly want to try?
they can only show you the door, but they can't make you walk through it.

Last edited:
Wii-bert said:
anyway, I knew it was a stupid example but you all missed the point. I wasn't arguing the legality of drinking and driving. Most of you in here don't know the facts.

1. People including RNs called in the station telling the hosts and contestants what could possibly happen when you drink too much water (including death). While the radio station did not inform her of possible consequnces, she was still informed. Did she stop drinking water after she heard the possible health risks? No, she just kept on chugging because she just HAD to have that Wii.

2. If YOU were going to participate in this contest, wouldn't YOU do some research of your own? possibly find out what COULD happen if you drink too much aqua? I know I would. She was just as negligent as the radio station.

3. The lady died in her own home much later. She called the radio station telling them she had a headache (I don't know why).

No, she complained of a headache while on air, at the radio station. Did they say, "whoa, this is a sign of water intoxication, let's get her to a hospital"? No! They said, "hahaha, drink more". That's the basis for the sheriff's potential criminal investigation.

As a participant in the contest, she was allowed to walk in there ignorant of the consequences. The organizers of the contest are required to explain the risks to you if they don't want to get sued. It's as simple as that.

Don't assume that had she stopped drinking once the nurse called in that she would have been okay. You don't know how much she had to drink by that time. It's very likely that the damage was already done. That's why you have to be informed of risk BEFORE you start.

Wii-bert said:
I think they were fired because if they weren't, there would be even more of a shitstorm for the radio station. I think they fired them to prevent a media nightmare more than because they felt responsible. People should have the common sense to know that ANYTHING in excess can kill you. I guess a Wii is more important than your health

Front page of yahoo.com
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/ap_on_re_us/water_intoxication

Oops! I guess we've got a "shitstorm" any way! The owners fired the employees because they know that they're going to get their ASSES sued and want to distance themselves from them and what they did as much as possible.

Kristi1696 said:
Don't assume that had she stopped drinking once the nurse called in that she would have been okay. You don't know how much she had to drink by that time. It's very likely that the damage was already done. That's why you have to be informed of risk BEFORE you start.
I didn't assume. I'm not here to say that if she had stopped when she heard the phonecall, she would still be breathing. But I AM here to say that without a doubt, if she had stopped when she had heard that phonecall, she was more likely to survive. Do you not agree?

Wii-bert said:
I didn't assume. I'm not here to say that if she had stopped when she heard the phonecall, she would still be breathing. But I AM here to say that without a doubt, if she had stopped when she had heard that phonecall, she was more likely to survive. Do you not agree?

No. I don't know how much she had to drink at that time. If she was already over the limit of what her body could take, not drinking any more wouldn't change that. If you've already taken enough poison to kill you, not taking any more isn't going to save you.

The winner of the contest got sick also... After the contest.

Contest winner Lucy Davidson recalled how she and Strange both got ill after the contest.

"After it was all over ... we both went into the bathroom and we were both sick," Davidson said. "She's throwing up. I'm throwing up. I mean, we just had too much."

Also, the family is filing a wrongful death lawsuit today. They will get much money, but their mom will still be gone.

Last edited:
Back