DVD on Wii

Spirit

WiiChat Member
Dec 7, 2006
South Dakota
Wii Online Code
2933-4212-3707-5538
Didn't know if anyone else was interested in this. I saw that nintendo is releasing a wii with dvd playback capabilities in Japan but the relese on the new system in other teritories is not planned. I saw this on Wikipedia.

I saw that too. Of course at a higher price. Come think of it I don't believe I need a DVD enabled Wii. I have enough DVD players around my home :thumbsup:

you can buy dvd players for 19.99 or 29.99 on sale like every week so why would i wait for one in the wii...plus the new wii will be more then 300 bucks!

Also, as I've said before, watching movies on game systems, in the past, has been a VERY bad idea. When I used to manage a GameStop, we had people with broken systems come in all the time.

They'd tell us their PS2 or XBOX just quit working. We'd always ask if they'd watched a bunch of movies on it, and 99.9% of the time they'd tell us that they always watched movies on it.

No thanks; I wouldn't chance it. I promptly sold my XBOX DVD playback kit shortly after I started working there.

Plus you probably want a HD-DVD or BluRay DVD player sooner or later for higher video quality, and Wii is not going to give us that. So just make sure we got a good console.

Why do you need a DVD player its a game console sure its convient if you have it but I find my DVD player is alot better than my Xbox or my mates PS2.

I have probably a dozen DVD players I ink nintendo assumes that if you're getting a wii you've probably already gotten a DVD player. I'm not saying that a DVD enabled wii wouldn't rock though!:cornut:

deity_link said:
Why do you need a DVD player its a game console sure its convient if you have it but I find my DVD player is alot better than my Xbox or my mates PS2.
Well... Look at what the Wii can already do. Built-in wifi, bluetooth, photo, video, audio playback (files on SD card), email, oh... and it plays games too ;). Soon it will have a web browser, information portals ("channels").

In contrast to Microsoft's "big splash" noise about making the 360 a multimedia device (and it does a great job), Nintendo is taking a stealth approach to the living room. Depending upon the quality and functionality of the Opera web browser, that feature alone makes the Wii appealing to older non-gamers who simply want access to the web without the complexity of a PC. (The only reason I upgraded my parents to a notebook PC from a WebTV was because the WebTV browser couldn't display many of the latest web pages)

I agree, DVD playback support on the Wii isn't critical, or even very important in the context of a game console. But if Nintendo plans to make it more than "just a game console", then DVD playback is a nice addition.

[edit - beaten to the punch] So it's not an issue of just releasing a firmware update that will allow the laser to configure to both DVD and Wiidiscs is it?

Oh well... most people have DVD players anyway. Besides, if Nintendo does release a Wii with DVD playback later in `07, they'll probably come out with a new universal Wiimote for you to buy in order to use it like Sony and Microsoft did.

Back