DVD Playback on Wii

Borch712ers

Deleted
Jan 1, 2007
"A Nintendo spokesperson has announced that the company plans to release a version of the console with DVD-Video playback capabilities in 2007.[38] This corroborates an earlier press release by digital media company Sonic Solutions, stating that Nintendo had chosen their CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator software engine to provide this functionality. Even though software will be used to enable DVD-Video functionality, it apparently "requires more than a firmware upgrade" and cannot therefore be implemented through the WiiConnect24 network."

Hopefully that finally ends the on-going dispute over this topic on these forums.

Last edited:
hmm interesting. I can't wait, cause i was kinda bummed that I replaced my ps3 in my living room with a wii, and having to purchase a seperate dvd player

wat a dissappointment Nintendo. If you were gonna do this, why didnt you just put the DVD player in the first place. but nooo your all about "gameplay"

No offense, but do people honestly NOT have other standalone DVD players?

Running DVDs through a video game system has never been a priority for me....I don't know about other people. I don't know why it would be.

One would assume that if the people on here have enough money to buy a Wii, then they would also have the time/money to save up for a standalone DVD player.

Just seems ridiculous to me. Save up the $70 or so in cash it takes to buy a crappy DVD player (such as the one in the Wii).

Honestly, I wonder what the ratio is on this board of people that have standalones to people that don't.

If you buy a console just so you get a DVD player, thats kinda pointless. Who doesn't already have a DVD player?

^ Which is Precisely why nintendo Didnt intergrate a DVD player, its common now, and kept the price down which is better if u ask me!

thats not that bad because as the above says the dvd player is so common now and the wii we have just now will be different from the rest(looking on the brightside)
dvd players arent that expensive anyway

games bought-Warioware, Call of Duty, wii Sport

I would rather have had the wii at £180 than pay for a dvd player that I don't want, the majority of houses already have a dvd player in them and the wii is a games console not a multimedia wannabe and I would like it to be kept that way.

woooo DVD player......now what do I do with my blue ray player.......

Pffft sif im not going to buy another wii just to watch dvd's. I can walk into DSE and by a dvd player for about $25.

laaame. :sleep:

Who cares about a chinsy little dvd capability.
Anyone who actually cares about watching movies knows that you wont get the quality of a standalone dvd in a game system like the wii. PS3 with bluray, still gimmicky but at least your getting a quality player in that system. I'm fan of wii prevailing over all systems but thats with the NO DVD PLAYBACK WII that I already own.

Releasing a dvd capable wii. Poor move nintendo. Stick to your gaming roots n stop wasting money on re-designing a product thats only going to appeal to the elementary school kiddies wanting their first dvd player. Most us gamers already own MANY dvd players.

again. LAME. :drool:

Back