Fatal Frame Wii Revealed

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Grasshopper Manufacture (known for No More Heroes) is developing a new game, Fatal Frame, and Nintendo is actually helping it. Here's a translation of the original French report on Wiiz.fr:

"Tecmo organized a press conference that ran for a few hours to present its next production to Japanese journalists. The game announced at the presentation was Project Zero (Fatal Frame) on the Wii, supplemented with images.

The production of this new survival-horror is supervised by Nintendo and developed by Tecmo and Grasshopper Manufacture (No More Heroes).

Source and Screens

great .... this might be a turning point for the the curse that nintendo doesn't have good third party games.... maybe we will see some large titles coming over to the wii from now on~

There was another Fatal Frame thread in the Wii Chat forum. I think it was posted a little after this one because someone came in and linked to this thread saying it was already posted.

The Thread in the Wii Chat forum has apparently been deleted. I'm a little irritated by this as it had more information than this one does including an extra link.

I understand it was in the wrong forum and we don't want the forums cluttered up but couldn't the thread simply have been moved here since it had more information? Consolidating the threads would also have been a good alternative.

Is it standard operating procedure around here to delete perfectly good new information if it is in the wrong forum?

Thanks Wiitness, leave it to Cantgetawii to post something in French without a translator link.

Horror game? Along which lines, or is it too early to tell?

Atomheart said:
AWESOME! Another 5 year old PS2 port!

Sweet!

it ture the franchise originated on the ps2, but that was only the first 3 of the games. this one is the fourth of the franchise. since nintendo is supervising it i believe it will an exclusive. people this is a big one. this is really going to pis off some of the ps3 owners. lol.:lol:

Twiik said:
There was another Fatal Frame thread in the Wii Chat forum. I think it was posted a little after this one because someone came in and linked to this thread saying it was already posted.

The Thread in the Wii Chat forum has apparently been deleted. I'm a little irritated by this as it had more information than this one does including an extra link.

I understand it was in the wrong forum and we don't want the forums cluttered up but couldn't the thread simply have been moved here since it had more information? Consolidating the threads would also have been a good alternative.

Is it standard operating procedure around here to delete perfectly good new information if it is in the wrong forum?

I posted that one and yes some one shot it in the head and it's in the river some where! Hey but I just wanted you guys to know the Wii games are about to start coming... and they are good too. You see every one though that no one would release any thing new this year on the Wii for some reason yet most of the good game will be announced from now till spring. Some are even new Ips almost all are exclusives though.

This game needs to really be seen though since it lets people get excited again about good graphics. Also too nintendo is behind this one... that part is major!

261311 said:
Thanks Wiitness, leave it to Cantgetawii to post something in French without a translator link.

Horror game? Along which lines, or is it too early to tell?

Hey now be nice :lol:

Whats on the site thats not translated is translated in my post so its not too much of a difference. Plus it was mainly to show you the screens. Wiitness I am sorry about your thread, but if you had seen this one already you could have posted your info here to make it a big thread on the game. And I wouldn't have 261311 on my case :lol:

CantGetAWii said:
Hey now be nice :lol:

Whats on the site thats not translated is translated in my post so its not too much of a difference. Plus it was mainly to show you the screens. Wiitness I am sorry about your thread, but if you had seen this one already you could have posted your info here to make it a big thread on the game. And I wouldn't have 261311 on my case :lol:

Sorry but really man why was this news so buried! Maybe we need a new game announcement forum or some thing? I went al day not seeing this and right before I was about to turn in I found it and was like WTF! Why did no one post this...LOL.

It's ok though nice find by the way. Your like a freaking reporter around here! Which is good!

More Info on the game:

- For fans of the horror genre, there are few games that can stack up to the intensity and mood created in Tecmo's Fatal Frame franchise. Even if you've never played Fatal Frame before, however, there's reason to start paying attention now, as the franchise's fourth incarnation is heading exclusively to Wii.

First details on the game were unveiled earlier today, and while sparse, they paint a great story for Wii owners and survival horror fans. Fatal Frame 4: The Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (tentative translation) has been announced exclusively for Nintendo's console with such key players as Shibata Makoto as director, Keisuke Kikuchi (longtime series producer), and even Suda 51 – best known for Killer 7 and No More Heroes – serving as a second director for the game. In addition, the game is a full-on partnership between Tecmo and Nintendo, and will be published with the Nintendo name headlining the product. As an interesting note, rumors have stated that the Big N has purchased the Fatal Frame name, and it looks like one of the industry's top horror franchises could now be a Nintendo exclusive from now on. This is exactly the kind of announcement hardcore gamers have been waiting for on Wii.

If you don't know the Fatal Frame series yet, it's time to brush up on what is hands-down one of the most intense and horrifying game franchises out there. Based in Japan, each Fatal Frame game has worked within its own self-containing story, always focusing on some sort of haunted house or village, and usually centered around some basic Japanese horror mythology. In fact, the first game, released first on PS2 and later on Xbox, is actually based on a real haunted mansion outside of Tokyo, Japan. This haunted mansion has reportedly seen seven confirmed murders, and strange tunnels lead from the mansion itself to a few neighboring houses as well. Even now, people are scared to go onto the estate, as constant ghost sightings and peculiar events continue to happen on the premises. The following two games were based on other areas (one a ghost town of sorts, rather than the token "haunted mansion" design), but always kept the same core design.

Since you're constantly running from ghosts, and since ghosts aren't exactly scared of melee or projectile weapons, Fatal Frame – as the name suggests – equips you with a unique soul-capturing camera. Known as the Camera Obscura, Fatal Frame's only weapon forces you to risk life and limb to get the perfect shot of advancing ghosts. While the main game is done primarily in third person view, you'll need to bring the aging camera up into first-person mode, and then focus in your shots face-to-face with the ghouls themselves. Based on how well the shot is executed (size of ghost, position of ghost in the frame, and action the ghost is doing at the time), a certain amount of damage is done. Put yourself out on the line even further, and capture a "Fatal Frame" shot seconds before the enemy attacks. Think of it like Pokemon Snap, if Pikachu could corrupt your mind and send you directly to hell itself.

So why should you, a newcomer to the series and happy Wii owner, care about Fatal Frame. Well for one, a well made Fatal Frame on Nintendo's system could mean the scariest horror game of this generation is now on what is considered to be a "casuals only" console. The game is out to scare you, and as such there are tons of horrific images, extremely uncomfortable scenarios, and extremely moody worlds. It'll be a "Mature" rated game without question. Fatal Frame will also bring a level of depth and maturity we don't normally see on Wii, as the stories are usually about double the length of a standard Resident Evil game, and feature tons of upgrade items, side quests, and backstory for those looking for a fully realized world.

Likewise, Fatal Frame has found its home on PS2 for three iterations now, and each one has had a beautiful (though very haunting) graphical presentation. As long as Suda and the gang put as much effort into Fatal Frame 4 as they did its predecessors, you'll be playing one of the best looking games on the system to date. Oh, and we shouldn't even have to mention how big of a win this is for Nintendo, as this franchise has always been a PS2 product, with Xbox joining the exclusive invite list over the last few years. It's now Wii, and from what it looks like, Wii only.

Fatal Frame 4 raises some questions as well though. For starters, how will the game control this time around? The core experience is done with a blend of both third and first person control, but relied on dual analog for the FPS moments. Will we see a IR-controlled camera this time around inspired by games like Metroid Prime 3 and Medal of Honor Heroes 2? Another consideration is that, like one of the extra modes on Fatal Frame 2 for Xbox, Wii may have a fully first-person mode to play in, which was extremely scary and claustrophobic during our playthrough with Crimson Butterfly on Microsft's system. And finally, how will the game be received on Wii? Will we see new Wii-only advances in gameplay, such as photo sharing via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, or a Wii-mote flashlight? Will Nintendo's support and Suda's direction help usher in yet another must-have Fatal Frame experience, this time exclusive to Wii, and are Wii owners ready to put down Wii Sports and embrace the darkness?

Only time will tell.

It seems its not a port and is a new Wii exclusive?

CantGetAWii said:
More Info on the game:

It seems its not a port and is a new Wii exclusive?

yes... i said that in my previous post, but no one reads my posts...:sick:

Mojor Skittish said:
It will boost the popularity of the wii

yes, yes it will. it will also piss off the ps3 fanboys.:lol:

Back