Game Informer gives NMH a 6/10 :/

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
Game Informer said:
Empty Promises

Over many years of gaming I’ve lost patience with design philosophy that dictates punishing a player for turning on a game. You know what I’m talking about. Giving players boring, meaningless tasks to unlock miniscule rewards. Making boss fights needlessly long to try the player’s patience. Obscuring the story behind a confusing script. No More Heroes embraces these ideas to their fullest extent, going out of its way to push away all but the most fervent players.

The combat system in No More Heroes has a lot of promise. The combination of button pressing and motion controls is visceral, bloody, and fun at first. Unfortunately, beyond the boss fights, the complexity of the lightsaber-esque fighting never elevates past button mashing. The stylized graphics of the game certainly evoke memories of 8-bit goodness, but they also suffer from frequent pop-up and lack any real texture work. The flow of gameplay is also crippled by some odd decisions – why is there no retry option after a failed side mission? Why does the boring gas pumping minigame net more money than some of the more exciting assassination quests?

Then there’s the issue of the subject matter. Protagonist Travis Touchdown is a sociopath, killing largely for pleasure’s sake, but we never really get to explore why he is the way he is. There’s also a sick fascination with linking love and sex with extreme violence – Travis at one point waits to confess his love to a woman only after she’s blown her own head off with a grenade. In short, there are some things here designed from the ground up to shock and offend.

No More Heroes certainly gets a nod for being wildly different. It’s a unique take on open world play, and its almost nihilistic fixation on violence for the sake of violence has a satirical and darkly comedic edge. Unfortunately, the repetition and lack of substance behind the flash left me cold.

Source

This review did it for me, its the 1 review I was waiting for and it gives it a 6. The reason why I trust GI so much is because their main source of revenue comes from magazine sales unlike websites who get payed to advertise games, which in turn leads to bias opinions or just flat out lies (Gamestop/IGN). Also the fact is I have never in my life of gaming disagreed with them :/ They're always right on point for me. But one of the biggest reasons is that they dont have a "Wii Team" that reviews the consoles games (IGN), instead they review and rate the game as a "GAME" and not a "Wii Game". My fears of NMH were confirmed, mainly the repetition of the game. I may rent the game, but I doubt ill like it.

Anyway, not posting this to flame the game, posting because I remember alot of others saying they wanted to see GI review.

Last edited:
I am refusing to go with any critic on this one. Everyone has told me they really liked it, and though its obviously not the greatest, its still good, and playable.

T3kNi9e said:
Source

This review did it for me, its the 1 review I was waiting for and it gives it a 6. The reason why I trust GI so much is because their main source of revenue comes from magazine sales unlike websites who get payed to advertise games, which in turn leads to bias opinions or just flat out lies (Gamestop/IGN). Also the fact is I have never in my life of gaming disagreed with them :/ They're always right on point for me. But one of the biggest reasons is that they dont have a "Wii Team" that reviews the consoles games (IGN), instead they review and rate the game as a "GAME" and not a "Wii Game". My fears of NMH were confirmed, mainly the repetition of the game. I may rent the game, but I doubt ill like it.

Anyway, not posting this to flame the game, posting because I remember alot of others saying they wanted to see GI review.
yeah i was one of the people who said i was waiting for a GI review to make any decisions on wether this game would be enjoyable for me or not (not that i have the means to play it, nor do i wish i did, still not regretting selling the wii lol)

but i trust GI very much and they tell it like it is. this doesnt mean its a bad game guys, it just means it had potential to be really good and they failed (in GI's opinion anyway)

I don't think Gamespot is bad, I've used Gamespot for quite a qhile, and that hasn't let me down, because they have a combination of Gamespot reviews, user reviews and proffessional's review.
Also its always busy so you can be guarenteed, real opinions/coverage/reviews from a large variety of users too!

Hey "sensefail" how you doin?

It's not really my loss Wiitness, im pretty sure ill never regret it. Ive never regretted not getting a game, whether it was good or not because I dont care about games that bad. Games is a luxary, not something I need or will miss out on. But since games are so expensive I try to buy a game that I will like. When I first saw the game it didn't look like a type of game I play. It had a real "Japanese" feel to the game. The thing that kept me intrigued was its crazy style and that finally another rare Wii game that was not rated E. I may rent it and im pretty sure ill agree with GI because ive never disagreed with them.

Gamespot sucks because they are payed by gaming companies for their advertisements. So when this incident came where a guy had to review Kane and Lynch, he was told he had to give it a good score, but instead he told the truth and gave it a shitty score so he got fired because this "gaming company" wanted him fired. IGN also had some scandal when they were editing previous reviews according to what their "payers" wanted.

T3kNi9e said:
Gamespot sucks because they are payed by gaming companies for their advertisements. So when this incident came where a guy had to review Kane and Lynch, he was told he had to give it a good score, but instead he told the truth and gave it a shitty score so he got fired because this "gaming company" wanted him fired. IGN also had some scandal when they were editing previous reviews according to what their "payers" wanted.

EXACTLY! Anyone else find it a tad suspicious that a site that normally gives lower ratings for games than other sites gives one of the highest ratings for this game? Anyone else find it a tad coincidental that this occurred RIGHT after that firing for giving a relatively low score to an advertised game? And to top it off, did anyone else notice that right at the same time of the GS review for NMH, low and behold, NMH advertisements were plastered all over the site?

Now I'm not saying that the reviewer was forced to give the game a high rating. However, isn't it very logically possible that he gave the game a relatively high rating (in comparison to the other major reviewers) in reaction to the recent firing?

Agreed, about the biast view's of the critics, but then you always got those 100's of user reviews, and you can usually tell weather the critic review do pull thier wieght, when the user reviews are much different to the critic reviews.
Basically, I rely more on the MANY different people that play it, rather than a couple of critics.
Agree with that?

Atomheart said:
EXACTLY! Anyone else find it a tad suspicious that a site that normally gives lower ratings for games than other sites gives one of the highest ratings for this game? Anyone else find it a tad coincidental that this occurred RIGHT after that firing for giving a relatively low score to an advertised game? And to top it off, did anyone else notice that right at the same time of the GS review for NMH, low and behold, NMH advertisements were plastered all over the site?

Now I'm not saying that the reviewer was forced to give the game a high rating. However, isn't it very logically possible that he gave the game a relatively high rating (in comparison to the other major reviewers) in reaction to the recent firing?

I wouldn't be so quick to jump in and quote him.
Considering he also said IGN ("your go to review site") can also be biased or has been in the past. Also, you talk about advertising? IGN has mad No More Heroes ads all over the site, some sites cannot be trusted clearly.

T3kNi9e said:
It's not really my loss Wiitness, im pretty sure ill never regret it. Ive never regretted not getting a game, whether it was good or not because I dont care about games that bad. Games is a luxary, not something I need or will miss out on. But since games are so expensive I try to buy a game that I will like. When I first saw the game it didn't look like a type of game I play. It had a real "Japanese" feel to the game. The thing that kept me intrigued was its crazy style and that finally another rare Wii game that was not rated E. I may rent it and im pretty sure ill agree with GI because ive never disagreed with them.

Cool So why write a thread if you don't care about it? Obviously you do if you take the time to post a "bad" review. I mean I don't write thread sabout GI...LOL because I could care less about what they think. I've never been trusting of any review. I base every thing off screen shots, video and controller layouts as far as a game goes. If you are thinking about some one opinion while playing a game then you are a sheep. Thanks for bring up a negative review though. The game needed that just so people can get over the whole they are paying for the reviews. Well if you think about it then why do you give reviewers so much power? I could care less about what they rated it with give me screens and game play... do your job(media outlets). So basicly it's people who take the reviewers word as gospel that are the problem because with out that then who is going to pay for any thing?

I'm glad that crap happened it's been like that for years and the consumer is the blame really. Go and rent the game you may be surprised and if you aren't,,, cool but always remember a review is opinion... You have to care to have an opinion don't you unless you are forced to give one via a review... Either way good or bad bias or not reviews should not hold as much weight as they do. Previews mean more for me than reviews they lack the bias nature and the personal issues that person may have.

Sorry giving Assassins Creed a 9.5 and then saying "Unfortunately, the repetition and lack of substance behind the flash left me cold." is so unbelievably inconsistent it makes a mockery of their ratings.

Mind you, i haven't believed a game review since 1997 and i won't start now.

BeaNo_Sco said:
Sorry giving Assassins Creed a 9.5 and then saying "Unfortunately, the repetition and lack of substance behind the flash left me cold." is so unbelievably inconsistent it makes a mockery of their ratings.

Mind you, i haven't believed a game review since 1997 and i won't start now.

There you go! gaming is about playing not arguing about them and rating systems.

T3kNi9e i think you should atleast rent it. you will be supporting third party games that way. rental stores have to pay a license fee, so its all good.

omg you looking for a crap review.

why wait who gives a damn we already seen about 100+ good reviews so 1 bad 1 not going to change the fate of the game.

Using your own brain is a wonderful thing. A review is all the reviewer's own opinions and if it really wasn't his sort of game, it was always fated for a poor result. Although NMH isn't out here in the U.K. I don't think I'll pick it up. I tend to just check videos and screen shots of the game aswell as maybe the closing comments of an IGN review (although that's only to check there's not something terribly wrong with it). NMH just doesn't seem my type of a game but I can understand its appeal to other gamers. Not to mention the European release will have no blood or gore in it what so ever which naturally ruins it a bit.

Back