Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Game Informer gives NMH a 6/10 :/

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by T3kNi9e, Jan 31, 2008.

1. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

Source

This review did it for me, its the 1 review I was waiting for and it gives it a 6. The reason why I trust GI so much is because their main source of revenue comes from magazine sales unlike websites who get payed to advertise games, which in turn leads to bias opinions or just flat out lies (Gamestop/IGN). Also the fact is I have never in my life of gaming disagreed with them :/ They're always right on point for me. But one of the biggest reasons is that they dont have a "Wii Team" that reviews the consoles games (IGN), instead they review and rate the game as a "GAME" and not a "Wii Game". My fears of NMH were confirmed, mainly the repetition of the game. I may rent the game, but I doubt ill like it.

Anyway, not posting this to flame the game, posting because I remember alot of others saying they wanted to see GI review.

#1 T3kNi9e, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  2. WiitnessID

WiitnessID WiiChat Member

LOL Have you even played the game? Hey your lost... GG.

3. The L.S

The L.S WiiChat Member

I am refusing to go with any critic on this one. Everyone has told me they really liked it, and though its obviously not the greatest, its still good, and playable.

4. SensesFail

SensesFail WiiChat Member

yeah i was one of the people who said i was waiting for a GI review to make any decisions on wether this game would be enjoyable for me or not (not that i have the means to play it, nor do i wish i did, still not regretting selling the wii lol)

but i trust GI very much and they tell it like it is. this doesnt mean its a bad game guys, it just means it had potential to be really good and they failed (in GI's opinion anyway)

5. Singhson

Singhson ****** by Syntax

Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed thr
    Wii Friend Code: 4237-4091-4421-2313
    4237-4091-4421-2313
    I don't think Gamespot is bad, I've used Gamespot for quite a qhile, and that hasn't let me down, because they have a combination of Gamespot reviews, user reviews and proffessional's review.
    Also its always busy so you can be guarenteed, real opinions/coverage/reviews from a large variety of users too!

Hey "sensefail" how you doin?

6. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

It's not really my loss Wiitness, im pretty sure ill never regret it. Ive never regretted not getting a game, whether it was good or not because I dont care about games that bad. Games is a luxary, not something I need or will miss out on. But since games are so expensive I try to buy a game that I will like. When I first saw the game it didn't look like a type of game I play. It had a real "Japanese" feel to the game. The thing that kept me intrigued was its crazy style and that finally another rare Wii game that was not rated E. I may rent it and im pretty sure ill agree with GI because ive never disagreed with them.

Gamespot sucks because they are payed by gaming companies for their advertisements. So when this incident came where a guy had to review Kane and Lynch, he was told he had to give it a good score, but instead he told the truth and gave it a shitty score so he got fired because this "gaming company" wanted him fired. IGN also had some scandal when they were editing previous reviews according to what their "payers" wanted.

7. Atomheart

Atomheart M'bating to Z Suit Samus

EXACTLY! Anyone else find it a tad suspicious that a site that normally gives lower ratings for games than other sites gives one of the highest ratings for this game? Anyone else find it a tad coincidental that this occurred RIGHT after that firing for giving a relatively low score to an advertised game? And to top it off, did anyone else notice that right at the same time of the GS review for NMH, low and behold, NMH advertisements were plastered all over the site?

Now I'm not saying that the reviewer was forced to give the game a high rating. However, isn't it very logically possible that he gave the game a relatively high rating (in comparison to the other major reviewers) in reaction to the recent firing?

8. Singhson

Singhson ****** by Syntax

Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed thr
    Wii Friend Code: 4237-4091-4421-2313
    4237-4091-4421-2313
    Agreed, about the biast view's of the critics, but then you always got those 100's of user reviews, and you can usually tell weather the critic review do pull thier wieght, when the user reviews are much different to the critic reviews.
    Basically, I rely more on the MANY different people that play it, rather than a couple of critics.
    Agree with that?

9. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump in and quote him.
    Considering he also said IGN ("your go to review site") can also be biased or has been in the past. Also, you talk about advertising? IGN has mad No More Heroes ads all over the site, some sites cannot be trusted clearly.

10. WiitnessID

Cool So why write a thread if you don't care about it? Obviously you do if you take the time to post a "bad" review. I mean I don't write thread sabout GI...LOL because I could care less about what they think. I've never been trusting of any review. I base every thing off screen shots, video and controller layouts as far as a game goes. If you are thinking about some one opinion while playing a game then you are a sheep. Thanks for bring up a negative review though. The game needed that just so people can get over the whole they are paying for the reviews. Well if you think about it then why do you give reviewers so much power? I could care less about what they rated it with give me screens and game play... do your job(media outlets). So basicly it's people who take the reviewers word as gospel that are the problem because with out that then who is going to pay for any thing?

I'm glad that crap happened it's been like that for years and the consumer is the blame really. Go and rent the game you may be surprised and if you aren't,,, cool but always remember a review is opinion... You have to care to have an opinion don't you unless you are forced to give one via a review... Either way good or bad bias or not reviews should not hold as much weight as they do. Previews mean more for me than reviews they lack the bias nature and the personal issues that person may have.

11. BeaNo_Sco

BeaNo_Sco WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 1442-6566-5981-1504
    1442-6566-5981-1504
    Sorry giving Assassins Creed a 9.5 and then saying "Unfortunately, the repetition and lack of substance behind the flash left me cold." is so unbelievably inconsistent it makes a mockery of their ratings.

Mind you, i haven't believed a game review since 1997 and i won't start now.

12. WiitnessID

There you go! gaming is about playing not arguing about them and rating systems.

13. thas

thas Canadian/Gamer for life

Wii Friend Code: 4614-1471-6665-4276
    4614-1471-6665-4276
    T3kNi9e i think you should atleast rent it. you will be supporting third party games that way. rental stores have to pay a license fee, so its all good.

14. jimbo

jimbo wii are cool!!!!!

omg you looking for a crap review.

why wait who gives a damn we already seen about 100+ good reviews so 1 bad 1 not going to change the fate of the game.

15. Spinty

Spinty Union

Wii Friend Code: 3598-1913-0901-5292
    3598-1913-0901-5292
    Using your own brain is a wonderful thing. A review is all the reviewer's own opinions and if it really wasn't his sort of game, it was always fated for a poor result. Although NMH isn't out here in the U.K. I don't think I'll pick it up. I tend to just check videos and screen shots of the game aswell as maybe the closing comments of an IGN review (although that's only to check there's not something terribly wrong with it). NMH just doesn't seem my type of a game but I can understand its appeal to other gamers. Not to mention the European release will have no blood or gore in it what so ever which naturally ruins it a bit.

16. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

singhson: I agree, yet not entirely. Reader reviews aka people who own the game reviews aren't always reliable either. Infact usually its not reliable at all. They usually react depending on how reviewers. For example Halo 3/Bioshock got such great reviews that readers were being haters and give it a 1. Also games that are really horrible, for example... WWE vs RAW 2008 got bad reviews but then you see player reviews claiming its a 10. Thats why I like critic reviews. Because I look at games the same way a nonbiased critic does. Same with movies :p

WiitnessID:
    Does that answer your question?

You said you base your opinion on screenshots/videos/controller layout. Guess what? So do I, infact I do more than that. First when I hear about a game I first check wikipedia to see whats release date, genre, game modes, console, developer, etc. etc. Then I go to youtube/gametrailers and look at videos. Then I start reading reviews/previews about the game. I take all that, put it together to make a decision whether I buy a game.

You say, who's gonna buy anything if they listen to reviews. Well... the idiots can. Im pretty sure it doesn't make me the dumb one because I do research instead of looking at the box and buying it. Which btw... I have done that in the past with PS2 and I ended up with a shitload of trash games that I played once and tossed it. Some of those games I never finished.

Also I don't thnk you understood why I meant by me not caring. Simply even if its the greatest game ever, im not gonna regret buying it because I dont care that much about games. I couldn't afford to buy all the good games if I wanted to. I still haven't gotten Bioshock and that got a 10 at GI and overall score of 97/100. But I still don't care. Btw, whats up with all the "LOL", whats so funny?

BeaNo_Sco: SMG was repetitive also, but I guess because its Mario, its okay. As long as the "repetitive" thing is still fun it doesnt matter. But filling up gas is not a type of repetition I want to do. Also I find slack n hash games boring unless there is some type of award to it. For example a RPG game that gives you EXP for kills and you level up, find new items, etc. I personally liked both SMG's and AC's repetitive nature, AC was just plain fun and SMG has wierd innovative levels where you gotta get stars.

thas: yea im gonna rent it. I had 10 dollars to send a DS game to my brother so I have 8 dollars to throw away, im gonna go rent NMH. If I do like it, ill beat it and be done with it. I don't tend to come back to the same games unless the experience will be different or a long time passes by.

jimbo: no im not looking for a bad review, I was looking for GI review, I can't help it if they happen to give it a 6. Btw, your opinion doesn't even matter to me. Your that dipshit that threaten me with a shotty lol

Spinty: I agree, but sadly im still in college so I get very little money working a lame job. So I don't have the money to be spending $50-$60 on new games. So I can't be the one to buy any game and make my own opinion. I will end up buying alot of crap games than good games. Then that would be a waste of money.

#16 T3kNi9e, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  17. thas

thas Canadian/Gamer for life

Wii Friend Code: 4614-1471-6665-4276
    4614-1471-6665-4276
    ^damn, what an answer. tackled everyone.:cool:

18. WiitnessID

After saying all that and slaving over countless videos and every thing you still let one review decide what you wanted to do in the end. Either you wasted your time researching it or you are lieing...LOL Hey if GI is you gaming bible I understand no problems with that. And no if you did all of that research then there was some thing about this game you liked. Hey thanks for spreading the news though. Lots of people rely on GI for reviews...

Also too if you are at school go and look for the It jobs on campus... They are easy jobs believe me and very flexible. Good luck with school and I see your issue a little now. I skipped the saturn and got a n64. It's hard going to school and really if you can ax a game off the list then thats a good thing. Hey but when it's $12 you'll pick it up then.

Also good luck with school man what is your major by the way?

19. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

I didn't research for hours :/ It only takes like 30 mins the first time then after updates it takes few minutes at a time. The research was leaning 50/50, but GI review made my decision.

But yea I do wait until price drops to pick up those games I didn't buy. I just don't like buying games at full price unless im really sure about it.

Im majoring Automotive Technology. I wanna get a normal job at a garage while renewing old muscle cars for myself. Along with doing side jobs for people for extra cash. Then in the future have my own garage of course :p

20. samXcor3

samXcor3 the best kid!

Wii Friend Code: 3732-3369-2853-4491
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    idk if you were referring to IGN being biased, but i specifically remember matt from IGN talking about how they dont do that crap, their ad team is totally different from their review team i think. either way IGN is deff the least biased review site or even publication out there IMO.

Game informer has been crap for years.